Grass Identification Help

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
My pastures have as many as 8 or 9 "grass" varieties. Some are recognizable like rye or fescue but others are not. Some of the grasses are also invasive, particularly in wetland area (I believe reed grass).

Where is a good source (pictures) for identifying grass types? I've looked through some of the posts here but had limited success.

Thanks all.

Probably your best bet is to pull one of each type, roots and all, and take it to your NRCS office or maybe your extension office.
There are so many odd ball grasses that are peculiar to a given area along with the common grasses that it's hard to know what some of this stuff is.

dun

Bahia is fair for cattle?? 95% of the fl. cattle have bahia I think.

The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Inc. Noble Foundation HomeAgriculture HomeForage Biotech Home Plant Biology HomeGrants Information

Plant Image Gallery: Plant Details

Plant Image Gallery
Forbs
Grasses & Grasslike Plants
Trees, Shrubs & Woody Vines
License Information
Plant Image Gallery Home
Noble Foundation Home

Common Name: BAHIAGRASS
Species: Paspalum notatum
Synonyms:
Family: Poaceae
Tribe: Paniceae
Longevity: Perennial
Season: Warm
Origin: Introduced
Height: 30 - 75 cm
Flowers: June - November

Often seeded in the eastern part of our region on a variety of soils. The inflorescence typically has two branches each with two rows of spikelets. The spikelets are hard, shiny and glabrous. It is a poor grass for most wildlife species and is fair for cattle.

Back

© 1997-2006 by The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Inc.

Latest posts