Grass, grass, grass. Where's the grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
It's almost the middle of March and our temps are still dropping down into the low 30's. We're just now beginning to see the cool season stuff coming up. Had to buy more hay. Man, this is the winter that won't end! :(

I feel your pain. We had to buy more hay, too. Luckily there is still plenty around and cheap because it was such a good growing season last year around here.

Just started to pop the last two weeks down here. A little drier conditions, more sunshine and warmer temps. Days are starting to get into the 70s and the nights down only to the mid 40s. Sunshine has helped as much as a good touch of urea. ;-)

Stopped feeding hay last week........... I've got 21 rolls left from last years crop but I did feed about 600 small squares of oat hay from a pre-2000 crop so I guess I did feed just a little more than I grew last year.

I went out and got some proof that grass still exists. :lol: But to ease you into it, I started out with snow pictures from 3 weeks ago...
Don't want anyone going into green shock.

3 weeks ago...
NotbadforthispartofTexas.jpg

Some of the Fall calvers.
CowsMudandSnow-1.jpg

And the Spring calvers
Firstof2010Calves.jpg

Now today, a pear tree I planted several years ago is in full bloom.
PearTree.jpg

Fall calving cows have some leisure time on their hands
Lounginginthesun2.jpg

Lounginginthesun.jpg

Spring calvers have been busy calving, but they are enjoying the sun today also.
SpringCalvers.jpg

Ryegrass, oats and clover is popping pretty good now.
GreenGroceries.jpg

OatsRyegrassandClover.jpg

And next years calf crop is in the making.
Workingonnextyearscalfcrop.jpg

Just a view across the place.
007.jpg

kenny thomas":wevkl3v8 said:
Nice cattle and ranch. There is not that much flat land in our county much less on one farm.

Well, we don't live on the side of a mountain, but it isn't all that flat either. Sort of rolling hills. Sure looks a lot better this year than it did last. Notice the tanks are full of water. :D

1982vett":306asmee said:
kenny thomas":306asmee said:
Nice cattle and ranch. There is not that much flat land in our county much less on one farm.

Well, we don't live on the side of a mountain, but it isn't all that flat either. Sort of rolling hills. Sure looks a lot better this year than it did last. Notice the tanks are full of water. :D

Yeah but now you can't see how deep the tanks are like you could in the pictures you posted a year or so ago. This year is gonna be better.

Jogeephus":2c6fcubm said:
1982vett":2c6fcubm said:
kenny thomas":2c6fcubm said:

Yeah but now you can't see how deep the tanks are like you could in the pictures you posted a year or so ago. This year is gonna be better.

Definitly counting on it. What is worring me most now is how bad the pasture is going to be damaged by the drought. We got thru the last two years, I suppose we can muddle thru this one too. :D

Yeah, we have alwasy bounced back OK in the past, but those were short term droughts 3-6 months so this one was about 15 months. I do expect a fantastic crop of weeds. :( :lol2:

I'm thinking we have been spoiled by warm winters and early green-up.

1982vett":3nnp57w5 said:

Yeah, but that was during the era of global warming. Things have since changed.

Hey, if a cow will eat it is it still a weed?

Jogeephus":2j474haq said:
1982vett":2j474haq said:

Yeah, but that was during the era of global warming. Things have since changed.

Hey, if a cow will eat it is it still a weed?
A weed is just a flower in the wrong place! That's what I told my granddaughters a couple of years ago. So they brought me tons of weeds and wanted me to plant them in a special garden so they would be in the right place.