Grass fed

Help Support CattleToday:

Turin5-3

Reaction score
Our motley herd is mainly grass fed but we do supplement with cubes, corn and hay. My question is what grass do I plant to cover the main nutrition needs of my cow/calf herd? I've heard brome(?), coastal rye, and pasture mix. I'm new to the grass planting and I need you all to give me the best info. The feed store and co-op just shrug and say "whatever kind you want." I need the folks who know what's what to steer me in the right direction.
Thank you very much in advance.

Check with your county extenison agent. Talk to your neighbors see what they are doing. Look at the grass you already have to see how to improve it. You can't hardly go wrong drilling in some rye or wheat for late fall and early spring grazing you can add some clover when you do that. or over seed the clover in the winter.

I'm sure you know that the true Grass-fed folks frown on giving any grain because it does change the ratios of the good fats and the fat profile. So, if you're going to market grass-fed beef, you need to stay pure.

Might want to join a site I started many years ago and continue to moderate, Grass-fed beef farming at: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/grassfedbeef/

Billy

Latest posts