Grass fed weights

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
I just weighed my grass fed yearling Bulls. Not happy with their weights. What should I expect on grass and hay with protein tub and mineral supplements at 12-14 months? I'm running registered simmental on grass and hay only. Can find much on weight comparison online. Thanks

Simi is usually a feedlot breed. Big framed steers don't gain great on grass. Too much maintenance energy required. We tried running one or two big x bred steers with MIG stockers. Their ADG would be 1.0 to 1.2 on native grasses. OK for burger, but not even close for finishing.

Smaller 6 wt. MIG stocker steers would average 1.5 to 2.0 on grass only, lots more with some energy supplementation.

We now butcher a few finished ones off pasture every summer, but they are 27-28 month old English X heifers.

They weighed 604. 602. And 458. We are just getting started and these are our first set. I know that simi are not typically used in grass fed operations but we chose them. They have grown up on only 5 acres and hay. We just bought 250ac and will be going full grass fed with that land. Any tips besides switching breeds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

what Stocker Steve said.

I currently have a feeder steer-of unknown parentage-waiting to finish for the freezer-and he looks like it ain't ever gonna happen. But he is growing little horns :roll: That sucker keeps getting taller and thinner. He's getting the TMR from the feed truck, top dressing it with additional corn and has a big round bale of brome grass in his pen. He eats like crazy but is going to be 8 years old before he's ready to butcher.
I recently bought a 16 month Angus bull private treaty. He's more grass genetics and weighed 1165. He was pushed more than I would have done if I'd raised him for myself but yours at those weights-especially the 4 weight one- wouldn't cut it. Simmental is a 'feedlot calf maker' requiring high quality feed-to my way of thinking-not a grass based animal.

tjmdo":17kyxz89 said:
They weighed 604. 602. And 458. We are just getting started and these are our first set. I know that simi are not typically used in grass fed operations but we chose them. They have grown up on only 5 acres and hay. We just bought 250ac and will be going full grass fed with that land. Any tips besides switching breeds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did you buy them or raise them? That should be their weight when they are weaned off their dam at 7 months of age. Have they LOST weight since they were weaned??
I don't care what breed you have. A frame 5, average muscled animal of whatever breed should produce the same calf weights.
I have a friend here in NY that raises PB Simmental. Purchased their bull from me and is in an organic grass-fed co-op. When they started, the co-op had to "taste" their meat before they were accepted in because they had "Simmental".
Beef is beef when you are talking size and muscle pattern.
Grass fed beef is much harder to do a good job than grain fed.
To be clear, I am a Simmental breeder and totally believe in grain fed beef!! :banana:
But, I do respect those that are capable of producing "quality" grass fed beef - meaning tender enough to eat a steak cooked on the grill like any other steak. Most grass fed makes good hamburg & pot roasts.

I bought their mothers and they were born on my place. They have not lost weight. The weaning weights were determined by tape measure as we didn't have a scale. I just got the scale set up. Had my wife on one end and my son on the other. Weighed with each on one end separately and then both together like a cow would stand. Was within 1 pound. Just weighed them. Their frame scores are nowhere near 5. Like I said we are only a year in and have lots to learn. We are trying to buy moderate sized cows and they are holding their condition scores well at 5+. Just think the calves are maturing slow.

I have Angus and my calves will be weaned shortly at 7-8mths of age and have just been through summer purely on grass and milk. They will weigh between 300 and 400kg (660lb-880lb) with one a bit over 400kg. After weaning they will be supported through winter on a grain mix to make sure they keep going forward until the grass starts growing again next spring.

Ken

Finishing beef on grass properly requires lining up all the planets just right. It starts in the womb, and ends on the plate. You can screw it up about 1000 different ways. Genetics, high quality forages, minimizing stress, and a constant plane of gain are crucial. I'd be happy to discuss my experiences over the past decade. PM me and i'll shoot you my contact info.

Where are you at tjmdo. Calves on pasture and hay alone after October in my area will always disappoint. I guess if you had some super hay they might do okay but all i have ever done was about a pound or 1.25 lb per day. Not worth it for me so I try to have my calves gone by then.

What I am saying is those weights for a yearling are poor for a weanling. And you are talking 12-14 months of age. I am not criticizing you. Just trying to have you understand there seems to be something wrong. You are spending good money for protein tubs & mineral and are not getting your money's worth with these calves.
How much do the cows weigh? Are they miniature? A Simmental cross should be at least a frame 4.5, even if bred to a mini.
Just seems like something is wrong for you to have those weights???
Can you post picture?

Chocolate Cow2":vzpx7dnj said:
Simmental is a 'feedlot calf maker' requiring high quality feed-to my way of thinking-not a grass based animal
+1
To be a contract grower with Thousand Hills Cattle Company's 100% Grass Fed Beef program here in Minnesota
Traditional English breeds are preferred and they recommend No Continental Breeding.

Son of Butch":2dfsojeo said:
Chocolate Cow2":2dfsojeo said:
Simmental is a 'feedlot calf maker' requiring high quality feed-to my way of thinking-not a grass based animal
+1
To be a contract grower with Thousand Hills Cattle Company's 100% Grass Fed Beef program here in Minnesota
Traditional English breeds are preferred and they recommend No Continental Breeding.
Does not mean others (Continentals - Simmental) can't do it. As I said, a PB Simmental operation was accepted here in NY. Any breed can be grass fed, as long as they have the right frame & muscling.

Jeanne, your hay and pasture grasses are way better than ours in the southeast. Simmental struggle here on grass and hay only, we don't have the feed values to properly grow them out. Nothing can beat a Simmental bull at the bull evaluation test for ADG across the board.
I'm curious to know where the OP is from?

Yes Simmentals can eat grass, but Thousand Hills is warning producers that want to sell to them that their experience
has been continentals have been unable to consistently finish on grass to their grass fed standards and carcasses that don't grade to their standards are subject to heavy docks.

Grit - yes, we DO have great grass & hay here in NY and, yet, it is not recommended as a good area for grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is a real delicate feed management to achieve the right finished product. The animals need to be on a continuous increase in nutrition.
SOB - yes, I totally understood your statement, but that is what I said also about the grass fed co-op out here. They were/are totally against anyone using continental breeds. But, they did accept and approve this friends farm. People still have a bad taste in their mouth about Simmental being too big. The modern American Simmental national cow weight is lighter than Angus cows. (not sure if I can put my fingers on those reports).

Latest posts