Grass fed steer or heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
Could someone give me a ballpark idea on how long it would take to get a weaned 400lbs steer or heifer up to 700 lbs with good grass and no feed?

It is also going to depend on the type of forage, time of year etc.

Feeding out a steer in the heat of the summer aint a good idea for gain in my climate. Cattle are going to prefer some forages over others. If you have more of what they desire, they're going to eat more of it.

hillsdown":dtcz9utr said:
What age and what breed of cattle ?

Mine are around 700 at weening and 7 months old.

Angus cross in Ga starting in the spring.

What type of forage - Bermuda, bahia, ryegrass/clover, millet or sudan-sorghum. Gains on bermuda or bahia will generally be about 1 lb/day during the summer. Tifton 85 bermuda will be more - about 1.75 to 2 lbs/day. Ryegrass/clover will be the best to finish a yearling.

best answer there in my opinion would be do it and find out. So many variables there, as you can see from the other posts. We butcher ours at 17-18 months old, grass fed, and they end up 1000 to 1100 lbs. Just make sure they have enough grass. Not just enough grass to get by, but enough grass to get FAT and still have grass to spare. Otherwise you will never want to eat grass fed beef again. Just my opinion. Good luck!