Grass-fed Information

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you think about Grass-fed beef production?

• We enjoy the Information keep it coming.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • We don't enjoy the information because we are grain-fed enthusiasts

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • We would enjoy the information if it was better explained

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Anything that goes against the "Grain" we don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We want to try grass-fed and have a few questions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have read your posts as I am interested in grass fed beef. I have found that your cut and paste use from other articles was not checked for accuracy. This fact alone makes me question all facts presented.
Somebody or group has shoved this "grass fed genetics" down your throat and you seem to be constipated with it. Any well managed cow calf operation has grass fed genetics built in. They do not use feed lots to raise their cattle. With easy keeping cows and bulls you produce the same genetics that will work on grass finishing or the feed lot.
Your presentation is for an ideal world in an ideal location with ideal rain fall.
As far as the omegas are concerned, some people do OK not ever worrying about it some do not. We are all genetically different. I was raised on bacon grease and molasses poured over biscuits. It has had no affect on me. If my wife ate it, she would be dead in a year.
I did find the discussion overall informative. You just need to take a little Exlax and get rid of some of the stuff the purist's have filled you with.
Just my openion

I think you need to take a chill pill and do a little homework on cow calf operations and see that most don't use buckets to feed their cattle as you say. This, along with many other erroneous "facts" makes me question the validity and accuracy of the content. JMHO

:lol2: All my cows ever get to eat is grass and when it stops growing they get to eat hay made from the same grass. I sell all my calves at weaning and where they go and what they eat after that is anyone's guess. My guess is they go to a feedlot in Texas or Kansas or someplace and get to eat all the grain they never got while they were at my place. I thought that's how everybody did it?

Ed asked us once before if we wanted him to continue the sermon. I don't think the results of this poll will make a bit of difference. Whether he loves Jesus or hates Satan or just likes to hear himself talk, a preacher is gonna preach.

john250":2bufmq0q said:
Ed asked us once before if we wanted him to continue the sermon. I don't think the results of this poll will make a bit of difference. Whether he loves Jesus or hates Satan or just likes to hear himself talk, a preacher is gonna preach.

You got that right....noticed the poll didn't give an option. "I don't like the professor's pompious know it all, look down your nose at everybody" attitude".

TexasBred":2hwhef75 said:
john250":2hwhef75 said:

You got that right....noticed the poll didn't give an option. "I don't like the professor's pompious know it all, look down your nose at everybody" attitude".

I agree...plus, to me, the poll seems quite biased..

I thought polls aren't supposed to be biased, Ed?

IluvABbeef":37b2w8b6 said:
TexasBred":37b2w8b6 said:
john250":37b2w8b6 said:

I agree...plus, to me, the poll seems quite biased..

I thought polls aren't supposed to be biased, Ed?

Watch out....ed will get mad and take his ball home. Flood the market and put us all out of business.

Nutritional requirements do begin to increase although very little up to her next calving date. This is how it is-- graph or no graph.

Depending on all other outside influences being "normal"...no extremes one way or the other. Under many conditions nutritional requirements can go up quite substantially.

talldog":fjg3nkcd said:
Ed seems to have stirred quite an interest in you !!! :clap: :clap:

Ed is sort of like 'rassling on WWE Monday night raw. Ed, Bighat, SL.... same thing, different names. It's amusing for a short time, but the story line is always the same.

talldog":3jfo6eee said:

Naw....you're the follower type. He's got you eating out of his hand already. Next you'll be "stump broke" :mrgreen:

I don't know of any Northern US cow/calf operators that Feed grain to the cow herd. Some will creep feed calves sometimes.

TexasBred":2be7gc6l said:
talldog":2be7gc6l said:

Naw....you're the follower type. He's got you eating out of his hand already. Next you'll be "stump broke" :mrgreen:
Stump should be a word you would know a lot about, although I'm not sure if you're BROKE as of yet! As far as a follower, I try to follow the money and the people makin it to the--BANK !! :tiphat:

talldog":3mtqlrvh said:
TexasBred":3mtqlrvh said:
talldog":3mtqlrvh said:

Stump should be a word you would know a lot about, although I'm not sure if you're BROKE as of yet! As far as a follower, I try to follow the money and the people makin it to the--BANK !! :tiphat:

Follow me dog...I might drop you a little change on the way to the bank. Now you guys have got at least 2 of us wanting to buy some of that grass fed beef..when do we get the order form, ordering instructions, prices etc.

Cull beef cows would be considered grass fed.
So would most of the beef going through all the fast food restaurants.
But, when we want steak we will go for the choice and prime US fed beef. :nod:

You need to go look up when most fed cattle, whether grass-fed or grain-fed are harvested. A hint:(it is usually not 120 months)
mnmtranching wrote :Cull beef cows would be considered grass fed.
So would most of the beef going through all the fast food restaurants.
But, when we want steak we will go for the choice and prime US fed beef. Wow, you have a firm grasp of the obvious!

Ed

Ok. it looks like 55% want more info on grass-fed beef (which includes finishing and to say them both is re"dun"dant) and 33% want more explanation-- considerate it done. And to think I minimized my text for some people, in this forum, who found a two minute read to be a tad cumbersome. Ok let the grass-fed forum continue as the people have spoken. Ty for your replies.
Ed

You might want to look at Dun's Poll as most of the people that reply here seem to be bucket ranchers. Are you saying that most of them do not have well managed cow/calf operations?

novatech":39jrqtet said:
I have read your posts as I am interested in grass fed beef. I have found that your cut and paste use from other articles was not checked for accuracy. This fact alone makes me question all facts presented.

The only cut and paste I did was the history time line and the research done by USDA and Clemson Univ-- the rest is my own.

Somebody or group has shoved this "grass fed genetics" down your throat and you seem to be constipated with it.

No, I just expect more from my efforts than you do ---evidently. Thats ok, I dont mind selling grassfed beef for double and triple what yours is worth and at the same time provide the consumer with a better, healthier product.

Any well managed cow calf operation has grass fed genetics built in. They do not use feed lots to raise their cattle. With easy keeping cows and bulls you produce the same genetics that will work on grass finishing or the feed lot.

Where you are wrong is that grain fed genetics wont work in a 100% forage based operation, but the reverse is true--- grass fed genetic cattle from a much harsher environment will thrive on easy street (the bucket)

Your presentation is for an ideal world in an ideal location with ideal rain fall.
I have said that areas with inadequate rainfall, poor soils and lack of management skills may need to keep doing what they are doing--Walmart needs them. ( so that is irrelevant)

As far as the omegas are concerned, some people do OK not ever worrying about it some do not. We are all genetically different. I was raised on bacon grease and molasses poured over biscuits. It has had no affect on me. If my wife ate it, she would be dead in a year.
That is not the typical american diet --lol interesting though
I did find the discussion overall informative.

Sounds like you would like some more to me ---you're in luck --- keep reading

You just need to take a little Exlax and get rid of some of the stuff the purist's have filled you with.
Just my openion

Latest posts