Grass-fed defined!

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Grass-fed defined!

This topic is for intellectual discussion only and all are welcome.
OK folks here we go again. Please stay on topic so I don't have to lock this one down also.

Before you can discuss any subject you first must define the subject.
In this case the subject is "grass-fed beef.

Thus far we have established that there is no ONE definition of grass-fed beef.

I have given you one definition of grass-fed from an advertiser on this board.
http://www.tallgrassbeef.com/
You will find Tallgrass's definition under " Partner with us" . Select "rancher or farmer" scroll down to "file downloads" and click on "Producer Protocols Document ".
I stated I almost totally agree with this definition.

I also gave you a second definition:
http://www.americangrassfed.org/pdf/AGA ... 0Final.pdf
Which I almost totally disagree with.

Bother of these are the terms and conditions, you, the cattleman, must raise your animals under to qualify as grass-fed animals.
There are some very distinct differences in these two definitions, but there is also some common ground.
In an attempt to reach a mutually agreed upon definition for the word "grass-fed" can you list those things that are common to both?
Your turn!
SL

Ps If you get them all right you will be allowed to take two attaboys out of the community chest to buy yourself a Dr. Pepper! And I will :tiphat: to you.

And he's at it again.... :roll: :p

Ok, Sir Loin, before any of us have another go at this, can you please tell us WHY (if you haven't already) you almost agree with Tallgrass's definition and why you almost disagree with america grass-fed's definition.

Karin,
What do you think I can't walk a tight rope?
OK Here we go, but no fair if someone shakes the rope.

I almost support Tallgrass's definition because he has invest $1,000s of his hard earned money in a business and his motivation is profit by producing a product that he believes the public wants.
Tallgrass and those like him are in the cattle industry and serve an important function to cattleman and the public.
Tallgrass is a dot COM, which denotes commercial. ( profit)
I know who Tallgrass has a fiduciary relationship with. ( the cattle producer and the public who buys)
I know where his funding is coming from, his own pocket.
Where as:
The American Grassfed Association has nothing invested and is not involved the cattle industry.
They are simply a special interest group serving a special interest, which is not in the cattle industry either.
They are a dot ORG, which denotes an organization. ( donations and grants)
I don't know who their fiduciary relationship is with but I do know from what they are promoting is the same personal political agenda as PETA and the environmental ---------- people.
I don't know where their funding is coming from.
Enough said. No questions or comments please.
How's that M?
SL

Then I think its settled.

I think that, even though there are two definitions for grass-fed beef, they'd most likely be implying the same thing, even though they have it worded different or they come from a different business standard. No I haven't read them yet, but without reading them, that's what I get from your posts.

Now, I'll just sit back and let other folks have at it. ;-)

Angus/Brangus

Re:
Now, as to definition of "grass-fed", you continue to skirt around the USDA definition which specifically states
I am skirting nothing.
I said and proved the last time we discussed this that there is no such thing as a USDA definition.
If you got one please post it, along with the URL, addy and I will stand corrected.
If you don't you owe me an apology.
Your turn
SL

Tall grass is just a advertisment for his product,sounds good, but I would like to see a year around pasture view...AGA seems to be tring to set forth a standerd to produce Beef by..Would like to understand both prespective better.. I raise my beef in a open pasture , use to feed it off in a corral, last few beef feed off in winter months using Berm. hay and a little corn...Of course thety get salt and menerials...

Angus/Brangus
Re:
You forgot the URL!! I want to see it or you owe me an apology NOW!!
SL

Van,
Re:
How about some proof?
All in due time my friend.
Take my word for it, I know which button to push :tiphat:
SL

Since corn is classified as a grass does corn silage meet the standards?

Angus/Brangus
Here let me help you out.
This is where you got it last time.
You now owe me an apology!! Pay up or !!
I hate dog and pony shows!! As much as I do people who try to take advantage of beginners in any business.

[
Re: Grass-fed vs. Grain-fed beef
by Angus/Brangus on Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:15 pm
Found this a few minutes ago:

October 16, 2007

New USDA Grass-fed Rules will Benefit Consumers and the Environment
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) today announced new rules for labeling meat from grass-fed livestock that will benefit the environment and public health, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS). The rules stipulate that meat labeled "grass fed" must come from animals fed solely on grasses, hay and other non-grain vegetation.

"This rule will help consumers choose meat from 'smart pasture operations' that are better for the environment," said Dr. Margaret Mellon, director of the Food and Environment Program at UCS. "Unlike massive confined animal feeding operations, these farms use sophisticated land management practices to maximize productivity without despoiling our air, water and soil."

Raising livestock on pastures avoids the crowding and illnesses that plague livestock in confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Modern grass-fed methods are also more cost-effective and environmentally friendly because they take advantage of low-cost grasses that typically require little added water, and few or no synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. A growing number of farmers across the country are now turning to this modern approach to livestock production.

Additionally, grass-fed beef is better for public health, Mellon, a biologist, added. A 2006 UCS report found that meat from grass-fed cattle contains higher levels of beneficial fats that may prevent heart disease and strengthen the immune system than meat from cattle raised in CAFOs. The study also found that grass-fed meat is often leaner than CAFO meat.

The USDA issued the new rules after years of deliberation and thousands of public comments urging the agency to establish a label with clear standards and definitions. The rule becomes effective on November 15, paving the way for producers to apply to use the grass-fed label. Producers that use the label must submit documentation to the USDA verifying their adherence to the grass-only dietary requirement. Consumers may be able to find USDA grass-fed labels on meat packaging in local grocery stores by the end of next year.

"We applaud the USDA for giving consumers a clear choice," said Mellon. "This new label will allow the market for grass-fed products to continue to grow, and will clearly benefit human health and the environment."

http://www.ucsusa.org/ A nonprofit special interest group.

Now where did they get this info?? Hummmm?
And did you forgrt about the Docket date also??? I didn't!!

Now here is my question to you.
Do you support or are you a member of this special interest group?
I will expect my apology in your next post, if you are man enough.
SL

by Angus/Brangus on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:06 pm
Now, if the new president can give us grass fed beef ranchers some financial incentives then, all will be well.
Folks that says it all.
Little AB is looking for some government hand outs.
It's all smoke and mirrors, we already have grass-fed ranches and they all were done with private money by individual plan folks just like you and me without government handouts.
I wonder why little AB can't do it on his own like the rest of us?

You have been exposed my friend for what you are!
ROFLMAO!
SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts