grass fed beef

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been talked about a few times now. It is all going to come down to temp of the cooler and if it is dry or wet aged. I would talk to your butcher to see if he has processes a decent amount of them every year. If so trust him; if not use someone that dose.

If you home process like I do then let me know and I will pass along some of the tips I have learned over the years harvesting my cattle.

PS… I would do a search and find the last discussion on this but search is not working right now.

Depends just as much on the animal as what they are eating. There are those that specialize in straight bred Brahman and hang for 21 days. Ther are some breeds like Murray Grey that you would only have to hang 10 days. What they eat is only part of the equation.

I do agree that the types of cows and the way they were feed affect the time and temp that they hang. But you're hanging the cow to let it rot and develop flavors. Grass fed cattle will not develop the same as a grain fed cow. Once you kill an animal it will start to rot; this rotting is what you want to tenderize the meat and develop a flavor. There are different chemicals that some butchers use to spray on the carcasses to enhance the affect.

Most butchers have a few coolers set at different temps. If we tell you that we think it should be hung for 12 days and he does not put it at the right temp then the butcher will look like an a$$ just like us because we gave the information you wanted but left out the other important information. Most people do not know what temp there butcher uses for the hang times of there cattle.

I did talk to a local butcher after the last round of how long to hang a grass feed cow. He dose not care how long you want me to hang something because you are not there every day to look after it and have your name on the line. He says if you want you cow to hang for 7 days after he thinks it is aged properly then it will be in the freezer for 7 more days before he calls you to pick up your order. If he did let it hang for the 7 extra days and he packaged a cow that was rotting for 7 extra days then what has been accomplished?

The butcher needs to decide what temp and how long to hang a cow once it is skinned and cleaned based off what he sees. There is no set time to hang any animal. I have harvested 3 steers (in one long day,) that were born within days of each other and the last one I hung will be the first one that I process most of the time.

If you can't trust you butcher to decide what's best for your cow then you need to go to someone else or do it your self. If you want them hung at a lower temp for a longer amount of time then the butcher should keep that in mind when he decides what to do.

If your looking for tender meat off grass fed cattle then keep them on none woody roughage and don't let them get to big or to old. 850 to 1,000 pounds seams to be a good number for me and what others have posted on this in the past. Your heifers and your steers are two different ball games when it comes to grass fed and processing.

why are steers and heifers different in grass fed and processing? this is a question I had in another post and most seem to thing there is no difference. i had thought that there was.

I don't process steers just the heifers. I thought that thread came out to it being a different ball park. Thank you kenny for catching that.