Grass fed beef

Help Support CattleToday:

usernametaken":x2ucvlmz said:
Here are two sources of the breeds which I mentioned previously:

http://www.aubracusa.com

http://www.irishblacks.com

DOC HARRIS

DOC,
Would you compare the Aubrac and the Irish Black for us ? Is there a place where one breed would excell more or less than the other ? Climate, etc. ?[/quoteuntaken- Inasmuch as both of these breeds are considered "grass efficient" breeds, I would be hard put to make a comparison on feed efficiency and feed conversions without scientific data - - or even data gathered by individual breeders. Insofar as where one breed would excell over the other, I think that your perusal of the information from the breed associations would give you a comparative analysis in a more efficient manner than one person's impressions.

My personal "first impressions" of each breed and the individual animals in the breeds was surprisingly similar! They are startling animals, and with each "First Impression" of each breed, I was just sort of mesmerized looking at them. Each breed is a result of closely held genetics (I didn't say "inbred"!) and they both are so consistent in their Phenotype, as well as their Genotype, that I just stood and gawked at them the first time I saw each breed representatives. I would suggest that you try to go see a breeder of each breed and see for yourself. Also, inasmuch as I am doing some work in a small way for BOTH breeds, I feel it would be a conflict of interest to specify one over the other.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":37tskwrq said:
usernametaken":37tskwrq said:
Here are two sources of the breeds which I mentioned previously:

DOC,
Would you compare the Aubrac and the Irish Black for us ? Is there a place where one breed would excell more or less than the other ? Climate, etc. ?[/quoteuntaken- Inasmuch as both of these breeds are considered "grass efficient" breeds, I would be hard put to make a comparison on feed efficiency and feed conversions without scientific data - - or even data gathered by individual breeders. Insofar as where one breed would excell over the other, I think that your perusal of the information from the breed associations would give you a comparative analysis in a more efficient manner than one person's impressions.

My personal "first impressions" of each breed and the individual animals in the breeds was surprisingly similar! They are startling animals, and with each "First Impression" of each breed, I was just sort of mesmerized looking at them. Each breed is a result of closely held genetics (I didn't say "inbred"!) and they both are so consistent in their Phenotype, as well as their Genotype, that I just stood and gawked at them the first time I saw each breed representatives. I would suggest that you try to go see a breeder of each breed and see for yourself. Also, inasmuch as I am doing some work in a small way for BOTH breeds, I feel it would be a conflict of interest to specify one over the other.

DOC HARRIS

My apologies for putting you between a rock and a hard place. I was afraid of that. :oops:

I do understand your term startling - I felt that way with just pictures on the websites. It would like to see them in person. I know the Aubrac is in Alabama - an easy distance. I wish the Irish blacks were as close.

Here's our routine for producing forage-finished beef:

1. typically spring calving
2. summer on native forages
3. weaned - put on winter pasture: wheat,oats,or rye
4. next summer on native grass
5. fall, into January finish out on winter pasture
sharing the forage with the newly weaned crop
6. to the butcher typically at 22 months old or thereabouts

steers on winter pasture:

moessteers.jpg

Grass fed beef is fine if that is your taste but, as for me you could not give me one if i had to eat it. Been there done that more than once yes, i had to prove to myself so i tried it twice more and it was same results. In my opinion if it`s not grain fed YOU eat it.

blk mule

usernametaken":1ce58g0j said:
KMacGinley":1ce58g0j said:
Before seed heads mature, grass fed. After grain fed. It is the starch feeding that defines it.

What are the differences in nutrition feeding before the seed heads mature ? Anyone know ?

I see grain feeding as energy feeding ( fat feeding), but I'm not positive on my thinking, so please correct that if it is not right. Starches that put the weight on. Would the cereal plants harvested by cattle be higher in protein or have less energy than say corn kernels. Would the rumen process the grazed cereals more effectively ?

Starches do indeed put the weight on, but then so do sugars, the difference is that the fatty acids resulting from starches are the omega 6 type, which are bad for you. From sugars you get the omega 3s and higher CLA, which is good for you from a heart disease and cancer prevention standpoint.

The cereal plants may be higher in protein than corn or lower, depends on when you graze them. They would definetly have less energy, since a healthy percentage of the corn energy comes from its starch content.

Since ruminants were designed by their creator to process forages and not grains, I would say that they would process forages more effectively, depending on what you mean by effective. Cattle will usually, grow faster on grains, but grains change the pH of the rumen, leading to upset (acidosis) and other health problems, if not managed effectively. If you educate yourself on how to properly grassfeed cattle, you can produce a superior product, with a superior price.

There are a lot of people like Blk mule out there that have had a bad experience with improperly fed grassers. But there is a very rapidly growing number of people that are demanding grassfed beef and are willing to pay a premium for it. Hope this helps. :)

KMacGinley":2r55p3o1 said:
Starches do indeed put the weight on, but then so do sugars, the difference is that the fatty acids resulting from starches are the omega 6 type, which are bad for you. From sugars you get the omega 3s and higher CLA, which is good for you from a heart disease and cancer prevention standpoint.

The cereal plants may be higher in protein than corn or lower, depends on when you graze them. They would definetly have less energy, since a healthy percentage of the corn energy comes from its starch content.

Since ruminants were designed by their creator to process forages and not grains, I would say that they would process forages more effectively, depending on what you mean by effective. Cattle will usually, grow faster on grains, but grains change the pH of the rumen, leading to upset (acidosis) and other health problems, if not managed effectively. If you educate yourself on how to properly grassfeed cattle, you can produce a superior product, with a superior price.

There are a lot of people like Blk mule out there that have had a bad experience with improperly fed grassers. But there is a very rapidly growing number of people that are demanding grassfed beef and are willing to pay a premium for it. Hope this helps. :)

This is exactly what I was looking for KMcGinley! It is too bad much of the grassfed has been done improperly. It will make it harder for those who learn to do it correctly. One more question - if the starches drop off I assume that is why the finish rate is slower. Is there any danger in a lack of energy ?

I have also read they must gain steadily thoroughout their life ... any time the gain stops it will effect the meat quality and you cannot undo that . Has anyone heard this ? Also, that if you give any grain throughout the growth, you will cause the CLA to decrease, again, not to be undone resulting in a lesser quality of beef.

I am trying to wrap my mind around all of this - it is slowly happening. Thanks so much for the helpful posts. I will keep this one and the ones from Brandonm and Jeanne out lining the grazing.

Is anyone managing their grazing completely yearround without hay in the upper South / lower Midwest ?

Latest posts