Grass Fed Beef--Your Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

PLR

Reaction score
I have decide to base my educational poster for our county fair on Grass Fed beef vs Grain Fed Beef. Mainly because despite all my efforts my steer refused all grains. I want to give some statements not just Facts on my poster, SO my question is What is your opinion of Grass fed beef? What breeds do you feel are best suited for grass finishing? What breeds aren't? Do you feel the end result is superior or inferior to Grain finishing? How does flavor and tenderness compare in Grain vs Grass?

Please let me know your opinion on this matter.

Thanks,

Shelby

PLR":14jducnz said:
I have decide to base my educational poster for our county fair on Grass Fed beef vs Grain Fed Beef. Mainly because despite all my efforts my steer refused all grains. I want to give some statements not just Facts on my poster, SO my question is What is your opinion of Grass fed beef? What breeds do you feel are best suited for grass finishing? What breeds aren't? Do you feel the end result is superior or inferior to Grain finishing? How does flavor and tenderness compare in Grain vs Grass?
Thanks,
Shelby

Since you asked.

I prefer grain fed beef. I like marbled beef. According to the experts, marbling is not closely related to tenderness, but we know that Prime beef (lots of marbling) is almost always tender. We know that one out of four Select steaks will be tough (less marbling).

If you are planning to make an educational poster it mat serve you and the public better to ask for facts and not opinion.

PLR":2m4spk1p said:

Thanks,

Shelby

Grassfed is a very interesting project. There or many web sites, far too many to list use your search look for US grass Fed Assn., American Grass Fed., Organic beef. There is no question as whether it is healthier but there is some questions regarding cost, time to raise and taste. Marbling is important in USDA grading but everything I have seen only gives it 8 to 10 percent value for tenderness. There are many other factors that affect tenderness - Breed (waygu, pinzgauer) - Sex (steer,bull,heifer) - Handling - Butchering - Feed - Cooking - in addition to feed grain/grass.

I agree with the above post, do not do a poster on opionions, that is very silly. Make your poster reflect facts, the Internet is a great source of information, but you will need to sift through it to find the truth - time consuming. Start with publications from universities and extension programs.

The Grass-Fed Beef Farming Discussion Board is a group of people interested in the topic, but most of it is personal opinion, sometimes we are lead to a published article, and some people tend to dominate the discussion.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/grassfedbeef/

Grass fed beef may be healthier, but grain fed beef tastes a whole lot better

One thing to know is that British based breeds such as Angus , Hereford, Shorthorn will finish faster on grass than the larger framed cantinental breeds such as Simental Charolais, Limousin, etc.

cattle will finish with fat cover on grass, however the taste will be different and the color of the fat will be Yellow from the chlorofil (SP) in the grass, not a great selling point having yellow fat

Latest posts