Grass Fed Beef People

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
I live in the middle of corn country and I'm wondering why you choose to go the grass fed beef route. Is it because there is no corn in your area? Does corn cost too much? Do you just have so much grass it's easier? Our pastures are about 7-15 acres in size, basically it's non-tillable acres (which isn't much where I live). Just wondering...

Our customers like the taste of grass finished beef....powerfull and real beefy. We cater to a speciality market and low fat and grass fed really sells well.
We corn finish some for customers that request it but our finishing ration isn't super high in the carb dept.
DMc

I select and butcher one of my own when I need to and don't feed 'em out on corn. I like the flavor of grass-fed. Also, I'm not in corn-growing country and I don't have an area for a feedlot set-up. I may have a lot of ground, but with this drought it's not like we're slogging through tall, thick grass.

I don't sell any privately, even though asked, because the ones who ask are from town and I don't want to hear any complaints down the road about flavor or texture or price when I know they are used to corn-fed beef.

It's pure economics for most of us in SE Mississippi. You can grow grass a whole lot cheaper than buying corn. Let nature feed your cows is what we say.

Money, time, and customers. Corn here comes in 50 pound bags. Then you have to take the time to feed them. Finally, I've got a list of people that want lean, natural beef. I'll definitely give them what they want. :D

ETF":k50wdsgu said:
Money, time, and customers. Corn here comes in 50 pound bags. Then you have to take the time to feed them. Finally, I've got a list of people that want lean, natural beef. I'll definitely give them what they want. :D

Do the people that feed corn feed some kind of synthetic corn?

dun":2psaxivg said:
ETF":2psaxivg said:

Do the people that feed corn feed some kind of synthetic corn?

Yes of course dun, how else would you get "un-natural" beef? :lol:

I've got a list of people that want lean, natural beef.

Does being grass fed have anything to do with "Natural" beef?

Indirectly. "Natural" is the term a lot of people use as shorthand for grass fed, free range, no hormones, no growth supplements, no unneccesary antibiotics, etc. Essentially the same as "organic" without the regulations and paperwork.

Guess I should have put natural in quotation marks for the grammar police. :roll:

ETF":16jfgwpb said:

Indirectly. "Natural" is the term a lot of people use as shorthand for grass fed, free range, no hormones, no growth supplements, no unneccesary antibiotics, etc. Essentially the same as "organic" without the regulations and paperwork.

Guess I should have put natural in quotation marks for the grammar police. :roll:

No need to be snooty, I was going somewhere with this.

USDA Definition of "Natural"

" A Product containing no artificial ingredient or added color and is only minimally processed"

"Can add label claims to further define natural, if you can document the verification process"

I am sure that Grassfed beef could be "Natural".

But grainfed could also be "Natural".

Looks like "Natural" can be anything you want it to be as long as it's verified?

I always thought corn belonged to the family Poaceae which includes all grasses. Seems disqualifying corn's use because it is a grass is rather confusing to me. Or is it that they are eating the seed? If so, do grass fed operations have to take their cows off pastures before they seed out and form seed heads? While I am asking, do black-hided cattle taste better when grass fed too or do red's do better? ;-)

Sorry, just having some fun. Good job marketing, keep up the good work. I would have never believed there would ever be different brands of water either. :lol:

Jogeephus":20tngz01 said:
I always thought corn belonged to the family Poaceae which includes all grasses. Seems disqualifying corn's use because it is a grass is rather confusing to me. Or is it that they are eating the seed? If so, do grass fed operations have to take their cows off pastures before they seed out and form seed heads? While I am asking, do black-hided cattle taste better when grass fed too or do red's do better? ;-)

Sorry, just having some fun. Good job marketing, keep up the good work. I would have never believed there would ever be different brands of water either. :lol:
They can graze corn. Have to take them off before the milk stage. I don't have a good answer other than that. Eastern Gamma grass is a close cousin to corn, with no grazing limits.
The red's are by far superior in taste when grassfed :D I'll have my marketing man work on this tonight. Thanks for the idea.
Here is a good article on corn for grazing.
A Corn Plant for Grass Fed Beef E-mail
Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Research on tropical corn at the University of Illinois should interest grass fed beef finishers. The Illinois research has found that when tropical varieties of corn are grown in the Midwest, the corn plant does not normally flower or produce grain. Instead, the plant concentrates sugars such as sucrose, fructose and glucose in its stalk and leaves. "In our early trials, we are finding that these plants build up to a level of 25% or higher of sugar in their stalks," researcher John Below said. He said high-sugar, tropical corn could be considered the "Sugarcane of the Midwest."

While the University of Illinois is seeing this plant as a more efficient plant source for ethanol production, Kearney, Nebraska, irrigated pasture consultant, Bob Scriven, sees it as possibly a major breakthrough for summer finishing of grass fed cattle. "We have been looking for a corn that wouldn't flower or make grain for grazing and silage. The fact that this plant is very high in sugar is just an extra added benefit," he said. The new USDA Grass Fed label allows for the grazing of corn as long as it is done before the grain is produced by the plant.

High energy (sugar) forages are needed to create fat in both meat and milk. The Argentines have long used direct-grazed, green leaf corn for this purpose in the summer and early fall. In recent years, some Midwestern graziers have started doing this as well as the average daily gains are exceptional for heavy cattle. With a no-grain corn, Scriven said corn could be grown and left standing in the field for winter-grazing as well and still meet the USDA Grass Fed label restrictions. In the Illinois research, the corn plants grew 14 to 15 feet high, or double the height of traditional corn. "Corn, that will stand above the snow, is where we are going to get year around grass fed beef production in the upper Midwest," he said.

Another added benefit of the tropical corn plant is that it requires much less nitrogen than traditional corn. In fact, the Illinois researchers found that sugar accumulation in the stalk and leaves was actually higher at lower levels of nitrogen. In Argentina, direct-grazed corn is traditionally grown solely from the residual soil nitrogen of grazed permanent pasture and legumes. Tropical corn should lend itself particularly well to this low input, organic method of providing plant nitrogen.

Thanks for all the responses. Does the beef taste that much different? If so, why do you think so? It's talked about on here so much and I've never seen itGF beef sold around here obviously and most people would think I was nuts to actually grow beef without corn. We have millions of bushels of corn on the ground waiting to be turned into ethanol or feed.

The beef I butcher has a stronger taste than what I've had at friends houses. It is also leaner and tougher.

I don't even know what is grass-finished is. I'm afraid I may be a bit barbaric. I'm going to have to go learn something.

iowahawkeyes":3chvmj2f said:
I live in the middle of corn country and I'm wondering why you choose to go the grass fed beef route.

Some of us actually prefer the taste of grass-fed beef.

branDcalf":2zrqpdb6 said:
The beef I butcher has a stronger taste than what I've had at friends houses. It is also leaner and tougher.

I don't even know what is grass-finished is. I'm afraid I may be a bit barbaric. I'm going to have to go learn something.

bDc, I have to agree. In my experience, grassfed beef (assuming similar genetics, gender, backgrounding, etc.) has a different (maybe "stronger", not necessarily worse) flavor, is leaner, and is a bit tougher. If the genetics are appropriate and the finish is adequate, the toughness has not been such an issue that I didn't enjoy the beef. However, for the most part, I have decided against grass finishing for the future of my own personal beef reserves. Although, fortunately, there will always be people who will pay a premium for grass finished beef.

I find that grass finished hamburger doesn't taste a lot different! :lol:

Latest posts