GRASS FED BEEF DEFINITION

Help Support CattleToday:

The past several years I've had anywhere from 15 cows down to a few on my place and I've been making a bunch of hay. Still trying to decide on wether selling beef or small bales of hay is most profitable. I will always have a couple feeders here and I will never feed grain. I have been around cattle my entire life and I am far from a tree hugger. I can honestly say that the best beef to eat is not on a high grain diet, but it MUST be on good grass. There are too many trying to market "Grass Fed" that are basically underfeeding their cows on poor grass and producing a terrible product.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3n9bj4d2 said:
I asked this question on a different thread, and still haven't received an answer.
How do you cook a T-Bone steak?
There's more than one way to cook a steak. The best way that I've found is over the coals of a fire. I personally use oak, there's no comparison between cooking steaks over wood coals compared to charcoal or a gas grill. IMO

Grass fed cooks the same as corn fed if you have a finished 2 frame animals. ;-)
Otherwise, you need to be a little more careful to avoid drying it out.
A thicker steak, a meat thermometer, and a little olive oil rub helps.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2snfc9z9 said:
Sorry Grit - I should have been clearer. I meant grass fed beef T-Bone. Do you do anything different?
I've never knowingly eaten a grassfed steak but the way some speak of them I figure you need to add a little MSG .

TexasBred":1xmtqlwv said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1xmtqlwv said:
Sorry Grit - I should have been clearer. I meant grass fed beef T-Bone. Do you do anything different?
I've never knowingly eaten a grassfed steak but the way some speak of them I figure you need to add a little MSG .
:lol: My BIL raised organic grass fed beef in Kansas. He sold his meat by the pound. He was in some kind of coop. He only sold his hamburg & pot roasts. He saved all the steaks for himself because they were un-edible as a normal steak. They would make like steak tacos and stuff like that with them.
I eat corn fed beef and enjoy every bite.
Just had a customer/neighbor drive in about an hour ago. Raved about his beef & put an order in for a 1/2 next fall. :banana:

I am making a completely serious offer here. The first 2 people who pm me and honestly want to try a good grass fed steak, I will send them each a vacuum packed 2 pack of t-bones shipped in dry ice for them to try. It will be the last steer I had butchered a few months ago. Concieved, born and raised on my place with nothing but my grass and water, only time I touched him was to castrate him and when I slapped him on the azz to get him to hop in the trailer. I'm serious.

ohiosteve":28vu1grb said:
I am making a completely serious offer here. The first 2 people who pm me and honestly want to try a good grass fed steak, I will send them each a vacuum packed 2 pack of t-bones shipped in dry ice for them to try. It will be the last steer I had butchered a few months ago. Concieved, born and raised on my place with nothing but my grass and water, only time I touched him was to castrate him and when I slapped him on the azz to get him to hop in the trailer. I'm serious.
Your grass fed beef isn't the same as ours. I ate some grass fed beef at Artesianspringsfarm's that was delicious. Not a lot of fat but enough. It didn't have the gamey taste like the grass fed stuff from here and Florida. That's a great offer you made.

True Grit Farms":2kd0blg2 said:
ohiosteve":2kd0blg2 said:
Your grass fed beef isn't the same as ours. I ate some grass fed beef at Artesianspringsfarm's that was delicious. Not a lot of fat but enough. It didn't have the gamey taste like the grass fed stuff from here and Florida. That's a great offer you made.
I'm dead serious too.

ohiosteve":2y0jkwlj said:
True Grit Farms":2y0jkwlj said:
ohiosteve":2y0jkwlj said:
I'm dead serious too.
I'm surprised that someone else hasn't jumped on that deal. I'm hoping someone that hasn't had a good piece of grass fed beef will take you up on your offer. I know someone that will trade some shrimp for beef before long.

True Grit Farms":3ri7xfr1 said:
ohiosteve":3ri7xfr1 said:
True Grit Farms":3ri7xfr1 said:
I'm dead serious too.
I'm surprised that someone else hasn't jumped on that deal. I'm hoping someone that hasn't had a good piece of grass fed beef will take you up on your offer. I know someone that will trade some shrimp for beef before long.
I'm not sure why it even bothers me, but I get sick of hearing about how you need to feed corn/grain to have good tasting beef. It's just not true and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I am old school. I will stick to my own home grown and corn fed.
I believe there are good grass fed beef out there, just MOST is not. I"ve said it many times, it takes extremely good management to raise edible grass fed beef, so congrats to you if you are one of them.

I tried one guys GFB .. he raised shorthorns so i figured it'd be good. He butchered them WAY to early. That meat all tasted like wild game. It was pretty gross. He even told me.. "it's a little different, but its good for you" ehhh... no.

then another guy i know raises belties.. they don't take anything to finish and that stuff was delicious.

tried a few others and it wasn't bad and wasn't anything to rave about.

Latest posts