GRASS FED BEEF DEFINITION

Help Support CattleToday:

Ridgefarmer63":3qs390mg said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qs390mg said:
This is the standard for American Grassfed Beef:
FO post-harvest crop residue
Wonder what that is..
It can mean anything you want when you make the rules. Just another farce to take advantage of the public, and get a little more for actually doing less. Fact is some folks will say or do anything for a dollar.

I think when people think of grassfed beef its like a breath of fresh air in a world where just about everything we consume is poisoned or polluted with something...from water to most food. Try reading ingredient labels sometime....can't pronounce half of it and you need a dictionary for the rest of it.
Only issue I have for buying it is its just too high....it should be on par with grainfed, since it would seem there is less inputs except for longer time to get them there.

Banjo":2klkv23o said:
I think when people think of grassfed beef its like a breath of fresh air in a world where just about everything we consume is poisoned or polluted with something...from water to most food. Try reading ingredient labels sometime....can't pronounce half of it and you need a dictionary for the rest of it.
Only issue I have for buying it is its just too high....it should be on par with grainfed, since it would seem there is less inputs except for longer time to get them there.

I agree with that in bold but not about the poison - no one is poisoning our food. A lot of people want to feel some connection with where their food comes from and would prefer to know the face of the one producing it. There is money to be made selling this feeling and farm to table would be a good thing for everyone in the ag community but the regulations make it difficult for anyone but the big corporate guys to comply. The irony is the people who demand these assurances are the very ones who enable the regulators to heap more regulations on the ag community which in turn makes it all the more difficult for them to get what they want. This is why I raise ultra-organic meat and produce. My stuff is so organic you can't even find it at Whole Foods which only sells posers.

Banjo said:
Only issue I have for buying it is its just too high....it should be on par with grainfed, since it would seem there is less inputs except for longer time to get them there.[/quote]

An animal cost a producer for every day is stands on his property. The longer production time cost more. Actually the consumers that want "grass fed" are the ones that want to limit green house gas. If everything were true grass fed then we would have more animals in pastures longer producing almost twice as much methane. maybe the increase in "grass fed" is because the producers are buying carbon credits from al gore and passing the cost on to the consumer .

Jogeephus":nvp74rfz said:
Banjo":nvp74rfz said:

I agree with that in bold but not about the poison - no one is poisoning our food. A lot of people want to feel some connection with where their food comes from and would prefer to know the face of the one producing it. There is money to be made selling this feeling and farm to table would be a good thing for everyone in the ag community but the regulations make it difficult for anyone but the big corporate guys to comply. The irony is the people who demand these assurances are the very ones who enable the regulators to heap more regulations on the ag community which in turn makes it all the more difficult for them to get what they want. This is why I raise ultra-organic meat and produce. My stuff is so organic you can't even find it at Whole Foods which only sells posers.

Poison may be too strong of a word as in a poison apple.... I don't mean we die from one bite of something. But almost everything is laced with something to keep it from rottening to quick or to increase the shelf life for days and weeks. A friend of mine gets nauseated when she eats a salad from a fast food restaurant, but not from the garden.

M-5":2gzubjle said:
Banjo":2gzubjle said:
Only issue I have for buying it is its just too high....it should be on par with grainfed, since it would seem there is less inputs except for longer time to get them there.[/quote]

An animal cost a producer for every day is stands on his property. The longer production time cost more. Actually the consumers that want "grass fed" are the ones that want to limit green house gas. If everything were true grass fed then we would have more animals in pastures longer producing almost twice as much methane. maybe the increase in "grass fed" is because the producers are buying carbon credits from al gore and passing the cost on to the consumer .
no, the more grass created, the better the soil, the more it holds carbon. a thriving pasture consumes more methane then cows produced.

ddd75":2qkez7cn said:
M-5":2qkez7cn said:
Banjo":2qkez7cn said:

no, the more grass created, the better the soil, the more it holds carbon. a thriving pasture consumes more methane then cows produced.

Not arguing with you but its more complex than that. True, the faster grass grows the more CO2 is absorbed and the more oxygen released to the atmosphere and at times methane is consumed but research has shown that plants create a substantial amount of methane on their own. Far more than anyone ever thought. This is green growing plants and not dead plants submerged in swamps. So all the fear mongering about cows being bad for the planet is losing ground. Maybe its not the cows but the grass that is polluting the atmosphere with methane. Or maybe the giant sequoias in California.

Jogeephus":2bw3xja0 said:
ddd75":2bw3xja0 said:

Not arguing with you but its more complex than that. True, the faster grass grows the more CO2 is absorbed and the more oxygen released to the atmosphere and at times methane is consumed but research has shown that plants create a substantial amount of methane on their own. Far more than anyone ever thought. This is green growing plants and not dead plants submerged in swamps. So all the fear mongering about cows being bad for the planet is losing ground. Maybe its not the cows but the grass that is polluting the atmosphere with methane. Or maybe the giant sequoias in California.

grass creates methane? anything to back this up, I find it hard to believe.

ddd75":2j4yykij said:
Jogeephus":2j4yykij said:
ddd75":2j4yykij said:

Decaying grass produces methane.....so does decaying garbage....so does shyt.

ddd75":2h1ptgrf said:
Jogeephus":2h1ptgrf said:
ddd75":2h1ptgrf said:

Yeah, it kindof throws a big kink into Al Gore's claims doesn't it?

Here is a link assuming Scientific American hasn't been hacked by the Russians. More links to other sources if you Google it. I'm surprised the media wasn't all over this but like I said a long time ago this whole thing is nothing more than justification for another tax.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4604332.stm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... te-change/

Jogeephus":1nx6vj97 said:
ddd75":1nx6vj97 said:
Jogeephus":1nx6vj97 said:

Yeah, it kindof throws a big kink into Al Gore's claims doesn't it?

Here is a link assuming Scientific American hasn't been hacked by the Russians. More links to other sources if you Google it. I'm surprised the media wasn't all over this but like I said a long time ago this whole thing is nothing more than justification for another tax.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4604332.stm

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... te-change/

interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research. no doubt a healthy soil contains massive amounts of methane. you can't have a healthy soil without grass.

ddd75":3cxegn2y said:
interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research. no doubt a healthy soil contains massive amounts of methane. you can't have a healthy soil without grass.

I think nature is a very resilient thing with all sorts of checks and balances of which we will never fully understand.

Jogeephus":3vdk7w7p said:
I think nature is a very resilient thing with all sorts of checks and balances of which we will never fully understand.

Now THAT, really is interesting.. but i'd like to see some more research........., or at least (just) enough to prove that hypothesis wrong..

True Grit Farms":3qtis717 said:
Ridgefarmer63":3qtis717 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3qtis717 said:
This is the standard for American Grassfed Beef:
FO post-harvest crop residue
Wonder what that is..
It can mean anything you want when you make the rules. Just another farce to take advantage of the public, and get a little more for actually doing less. Fact is some folks will say or do anything for a dollar.

Now Now, Grit..'shhh'..you'll upset the lads. A gullible public is always the first requirement for any marketing scheme.

On the other hand, I'll just leave this right here......

True Grit Farms":3qtis717 said:
I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.
8) ;-)

greybeard":20n49vg8 said:
True Grit Farms":20n49vg8 said:
Ridgefarmer63":20n49vg8 said:
Wonder what that is..

Now Now, Grit..'shhh'..you'll upset the lads. A gullible public is always the first requirement for any marketing scheme.

On the other hand, I'll just leave this right here......

True Grit Farms":20n49vg8 said:
I'd get another job before I gave up eating a good prime CAB steak.
8) ;-)
I should of left the CAB part out, but the butchers I deal with all their prime meat is CAB. Any bovine breed with the white flakes running through the grains of meat are good I'm sure. I've only personally ate CAB, and Wagau in prime. My wife was trying to push the lean beef, healthy crap on me awhile back. I told her it's to late in life for me to worry about such trivial things, super size mine please.

Definition depends.
There were a lot of people jumping on this a couple years ago. If your place was paid for than production cash flowed. Otherwise you had problems. Processors did OK - - some focused on finished cuts, and some just ground unfinished cattle for grass fed burger. Futurists went on and one about converting land to environmentally friendly finishing pastures.
Then the lobbyists got busy, standards were not established, and COOL was rejected. Big corporations started their own brands based on importing beef from South America... :( I understand that only a small portion of our "grass fed" beef is currently produced in the US.
So the emerging definition of grass fed is cattle grazing logged off rain forest that do not have hoof and mouth disease. :nod: How long do you think the price premium for this will last?

Marksbury farm.....here in central, ky. raise grassfed beef and have their own processing plant. Apparently, very successful with it, they have been at it several years.