Grass-fed -- a new post

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3o2fiuwi said:
"Grassfed" is simply another way to market cattle. Is it "better"? The consumer will tell you if it's better after they purchase it and the producer will look at his bottom line numbers after sales/costs and tell you if he thinks it's better. Just another angle.

I think this was the concensus from the get go. The proof is at the market. You'll certainly find enough people to consume all the grass fed beef but you'll also find folks who prefer grain fed. Joe Customer day in and day out cannot afford the grass fed (especially the more expensive cuts) regardless of how well he likes it.

I'll take a shot of good $500 a bottle single malt whiskey on occasion but for day to day consumption I have to drop down to a product that fits my budget.

$500 single malt? Hmmmm. Let me know next you get some. I'll trade you a round bale for a sip :cboy:

BeefmasterB":102rcuf1 said:
TexasBred":102rcuf1 said:
"Grassfed" is simply another way to market cattle. Is it "better"? The consumer will tell you if it's better after they purchase it and the producer will look at his bottom line numbers after sales/costs and tell you if he thinks it's better. Just another angle.

I think this was the concensus from the get go. The proof is at the market. You'll certainly find enough people to consume all the grass fed beef but you'll also find folks who prefer grain fed. Joe Customer day in and day out cannot afford the grass fed (especially the more expensive cuts) regardless of how well he likes it.

I'll take a shot of good $500 a bottle single malt whiskey on occasion but for day to day consumption I have to drop down to a product that fits my budget.

$500 single malt? Hmmmm. Let me know next you get some. I'll trade you a round bale for a sip :cboy:

Next time I get some??? Heck I trade for it too. :lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":alnz7k97 said:
Ed, I could spend all day cutting and pasting like you do but I do not have the time nor the desire to do so.
More useless personal attacks -- try to abstain

Using bits and pieces of facts when convenient to your argument is a sign of poor understanding. You, yourself, suggesting the use herbicides off label to people on the board is irresponsible to say the least. When someone pins you down to answer a simple question and you evade and wiggle like a worm lets me know a lot about you.
I posted the facts from the most recent study to date (2009) can you dispute USDA? or not? Give me some real facts and put the personal attacks away-- this isn't personal

As I've said before, I have nothing against the grass finished cattle. There is a place for it and I'm sure the market will grow or maybe not. But to build a customer base by negative advertisement of mis use of facts is detrimental to the industry as a whole.
Just the facts, please

I agree with and ealier post, I really think that maybe you should write a book or give tours or something to show us how to get out from under the train. Maybe even a website showing your operation or even easier providing us with your location. A simple state would do.
I don't really think you want to be out from under the train or for that matter admit to any possible inferiority of your product even when you have no research based info to prove it. Give me the facts and dont take everythig so personal.

I'll be looking out for your book and will be glad to buy it.
Ok, gotta go bale some hay, here at home, for a neighbor that lost all his hay to worms. See if we can help him get his grain-feds to market next year.
Later Ed

Grass-fed vs. grain-fed: surprising results
POSTED BY: Monica Reinagel, M.S., LD/N | January 07, 2009 | 12:42 PM
Our recently updated database includes listings for new foods that many of you have been asking about. For example, the USDA now has nutrient information for grass-fed beef and bison. For the past several years, grass-fed meat has been promoted as a healthier alternative to the more typical grain-fed sources. For one thing, it is much leaner.

Livestock get fatter eating corn and other grains than they do eating grass and other greens. (Many would point out that the same is true of humans!) When you compare the new listings for grass-fed bison and regular bison, for example, you'll see that the grain-fed has twice as much fat.

But it has also been widely promoted that meat from grass-fed bison is higher in omega-3 fats and/or lower in omega-6. In fact, the proportion of omega-3s to total fat and to omega-6 fats appears to be virtually the same. An ounce of grass-fed bison has about half as much omega-3 as an ounce of grain-fed bison. (Remember that it also has half as much total fat.) And the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 is about 7:1 for both types. I also detected virtually no difference in other nutrients such as vitamin E, selenium, or zinc.

The differences between grass- and grain-fed beef are slightly more compelling. The listing for grass-fed ground beef contains close to the same amount of fat as 90% lean ground beef. However, the grass-fed contains more omega-3 fats and has a slightly better omega ratio (5:1 for grass-fed versus 7:1 for grain-fed). The total amount of omega-3 fats, however, is fairly small. There are no significant differences in vitamin and mineral content.

For those looking for leaner sources of red meat, grass-fed definitely fits the bill, and is becoming more widely available. I also believe that raising livestock on pastures instead of feed lots is more humane and better for the environment and, for that reason, I go out of my way to choose grass-fed on those rare occasions when I eat meat.

However, if you are looking for a way to increase your intake of omega-3s or other nutrients, you may need to look elsewhere.

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog/20 ... vs-gr.html

I dont think the USDA even has a standard for "Natural" labeling when it comes to how one is fed.

Personally I could care less about the ratio of Omega-3 and 6 in meat. I eat meat because I love it and I like the flavor with some marbleing in it but for quite some time now I have been eating limousin beef and it's extremely lean but mercy it has awesome flavor. For my Omega-3 and 6 needs I pop a couple of Fish oil and flaxseed oil capsules.

For the folks that prefer the grass fed beef....more power to you and best of luck....just don't trash me and my grain fed beef.

LimiMan":ozt97gpo said:
I dont think the USDA even has a standard for "Natural" labeling when it comes to how one is fed.
What Does Natural Beef Mean? By government definition, most beef is natural. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), natural may be used on a beef product label if:
• The product does not contain any artificial flavor or flavoring, coloring ingredient, or chemical preservative or any other artificial or synthetic ingredient; and
• The product and its ingredients are not more than minimally processed (FSIS Directive 7220.1 Policy Memo 55 "Natural Claims").

Natural Beef Production Currently, the government's definition of natural does not relate to the way animals are raised or what they are fed. Natural beef encompasses grain-fed, grass-finished and organic as long as it is minimally processed and contains no additives such as preservatives, artificial flavors, colors or additional ingredients.

Natural beef programs are largely defined and regulated by the company that owns the brand. While some natural labels are defined to mean no growth promotants or antibiotics, this definition is not universal. Some natural beef programs only restrict antibiotic and implant use during the last 100 to 120 days prior to harvest.

While natural beef production standards and claims are variable, USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) has conducted three public listening sessions December 2006-January 2007 in order to begin developing a proposed standard regarding natural livestock production.

Process Verified Beef Programs AMS regulates marketing claims while USDA FSIS oversees product labeling information. Beef producers wishing to make marketing claims associated with what their animals are fed or how their animals are raised must submit a documented quality manual to USDA AMS. Once AMS approves the supplier's quality management program, the program is then "USDA Process Verified."

Process claims such as "raised without hormones," "no antibiotics," "free-range," "pasture-raised" and "grain-fed" must be approved by USDA FSIS before they can be used on a beef product label.

Nutritional Value of Natural Beef Beef marketed as natural has the same nutritional profile as other types of beef (American Council on Science and Health report, "The Role of Beef in the American Diet," January 2003).

All beef is nutrient-rich, with eight times more vitamin B12, six times more zinc and three times more iron than skinless chicken breast. Twenty-nine cuts of beef meet government guidelines for lean, such as the tenderloin, sirloin and 95% lean ground beef.

Safety and Inspection Like all beef, products marketed as natural go through a rigorous inspection process and are subject to strict government guidelines to ensure the highest level of safety. All U.S. cattle are inspected by a USDA public health veterinarian before entering the packing plant and those with any signs of illness are not allowed into the food supply.

Natural Beef Labeling Currently there is no government certification program for naturally raised beef, so companies may create their own guidelines. The government definition for natural applies to all meat that does not have an ingredient label which is added if the product includes a preservative, artificial color, flavoring or marinade.

A December 2005 Agri-Food Trade Service research report titled "Natural Beef Market in the United States" reported 75 percent of U.S. consumers believed that natural and organic were the same thing.

The Natural Beef Market Many large processors and retail/foodservice outlets now offer natural beef products. The natural and organic beef market segment, though growing, remains a small portion of total beef dollar and volume sales in retail. The following data is based on Freshlook scanner data, which combines organic and natural sales.
• The volume of natural and organic beef sales in the fourth quarter 2006 accounted for 1.4 percent of all fresh beef sold in retail supermarkets during the time period.
• Organic and natural beef products in the retail meat case average $5.17 per pound compared to the $3.57-per-pound average price for all beef products.

I have no dog in this fight, but since an opinion is like a haemmeroid.... I might as well give mine.

I have had great feedlot finished steaks, I have also had very ordinary feedlot finished steaks. I have had great veld finished steaks (not planted pasture) and also some ordinary ones. I like the stronger flavour of grass finished beef, but can understand that its not everyone's cup of tea.

I have no problem if you (not anyone specific) supplement your cows with grain, but I do have a problem with it if you (as a so-called seedstock producer) mess my breed (the breed that made grass famous) up to the point where the cows cannot perform without being supplemented with grain because you didn't have an adequate understanding of the breed's strengths and traditional qualities.

LimiMan":35dak3f3 said:
You are contradicting yourself. Previously you claimed Natural on the label meant no implant or antibiotics can be used and typically no ionphores can be used in the feed. Now you say natural on the label has nothing to do with how it is fed. Please clarify.

KNERSIE":2k3cpz47 said:
I have no dog in this fight, but since an opinion is like a haemmeroid.... I might as well give mine.

I have had great feedlot finished steaks, I have also had very ordinary feedlot finished steaks. I have had great veld finished steaks (not planted pasture) and also some ordinary ones. I like the stronger flavour of grass finished beef, but can understand that its not everyone's cup of tea.

I have no problem if you (not anyone specific) supplement your cows with grain, but I do have a problem with it if you (as a so-called seedstock producer) mess my breed (the breed that made grass famous) up to the point where the cows cannot perform without being supplemented with grain because you didn't have an adequate understanding of the breed's strengths and traditional qualities.
Well Said !!! :tiphat:

KNERSIE":228bas9g said:

This brings up another question. Do you supplement due to the poor traits in the cow or due to the poor quality of the grazing, hay, forage,etc. that is made available to her??

Options Limiman is correct in saying natural has nothing to do with how beef is feed. All Natural means no antibotics no implants no ionophors.

Red Bull Breeder":t3flygdy said:
Options Limiman is correct in saying natural has nothing to do with how beef is feed. All Natural means no antibotics no implants no ionophors.
Are you saying if it says Natural on the label it means no antibotics no implants no ionophors?

It depends what "Natural" brand your selling your product under. Each company has different requirements.
When it comes to the USDA and maybe others, natural doesnt have anything to do with how one is fed. Is this not correct?

LimiMan

Thats why I asked for clarification from you because you have suggested both approaches are acceptable. You have stated it has nothing to do with how the animal was fed and you have also stated it did matter how they were fed. The word Natural on the label of a beef product has absolutly no relation to the live animal whatsoever.

As far as i no you can give antibotic implant or what ever else you want to a grass fed animal as long as you don't feed grain or grain products. If you market the cattle as grass fed and all natural then you could not use antibotics, steriods, or ionophors. Some branded beef companys have more restrictions.

Why do so many people involved in the business of rasing cattle, mislead the end user of our products into thinking they are buying something they are not? Natural on the label of meat and poultry products has no, zero, zip, nada, nothing to do with how the animal has been raised. Stop misleading our consumers. It is hard enough to fight off the people outside our industry who tell lies and mislead our customers, there is no need to have insiders misleading them as well.

options, it depends on what natural brand your selling your meat under. If the usda is labeling your beef as Natural, these are the requirements.

NATURAL:
A product containing no artificial ingredient or added color and is only minimally processed (a process which does not fundamentally alter the raw product) may be labeled natural. The label must explain the use of the term natural (such as - no added colorings or artificial ingredients; minimally processed.)

other brands have different requirements about what can be introduced to the live animal.

LimiMan

It makes absolutly no difference what brand of beef products are being sold. The word Natural on any meat or poultry label only means the definition you posted. It has no meaning other than that.

Virtually any raw meat product will fall under the definition.

The misleading of the consumer is not being done by our government, but by the individuals promoting their product as something it is not.

Latest posts