grass cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

after being completely away from cattle for 20 years, i am getting back in the business. Thinking about starting with 70-80 yearlings to put on grass. I would appreciate any opinions on what weight to buy, rate of gain to expect,et. I was thinking more of beef breeds but am also curious how others have done with holsteins

The breed of cattle depends on where you are located, rainfall, climate and such. Also the market in your area. In Wisconsin Holstein Cattle do well, but in Texas they are docked. In the Southern half of the US the Brahman influenced breeds do well in other areas they are docked. As you can see, location means a lot.

Before i would even begin to buy calves i would make sure you have grass. Alot of mistakes people make is putting cattle on land and think the grass will simply happen. You have to be a grass farmer before a cattle rancher. The post about where your located is true , if your in cooler or cold climates or in the deep south changes your choices. The calves if it were me would have to be already weaned calves. I f they are not weaned could lead to some disasterous results, calves screaming for mom,passing through fences, and loosing alot of weight before they get over it. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Holsteins aren't very good grazers. Grazing them will cause them to be larger before they finish out and holsteins are bigger than beef cattle before they finish out. Holsteins finish quickest by feeding grain from weaning time until they finish out. If I were you, I would look into beef calves instead of holsteins.

Anonymous":12m6hkm0 said:
Holsteins aren't very good grazers. Grazing them will cause them to be larger before they finish out and holsteins are bigger than beef cattle before they finish out. Holsteins finish quickest by feeding grain from weaning time until they finish out. If I were you, I would look into beef calves instead of holsteins.
Something to consider is that the hamburger joints want holsteins. If you have a source of cheap forage and plenty of it as you could graze good numbers you may want to consider holsteins. Personally I am not a big fan of helping McDonalds or the other Ffast Garbage Dumps make money.
Once i was traveling and got a good case of the sh---ts and had to stop every few minutes. Luckily I was in Baton Rouge when this happened. My nephew said; lets stop at Mc Donalds. I said no. He said why. I said people mays ee me go in there and they will think that I am going to eat their GARBAGE. That c--p makes me puke. AAAGGGGGHHHHH. Puke!!!
One of our mutual funds own stock in the company but if enough people dump it they probaly will to. That is one Garbage Dump I have no use for.
I will not eat their Garbage.

WOW LA4Angus, why the change of heart? Thought you grovel over the fast food joints? I thought they were your best friends? Don't you realize that McD's and other joints do buy Holsteins as well as Angus hamburgers? They are often blend but they are there. BTW, I think you should take a tour through Oregon, I am starting to see more and more Herefords and Herf crosses. We had a harsh winter so I guess the Herfs survived while the angus died off........ Surprise? I am not.

la4angus":3ede9ymw said:
Anonymous":3ede9ymw said:
Something to consider is that the hamburger joints want holsteins. If you have a source of cheap forage and plenty of it as you could graze good numbers you may want to consider holsteins. Personally I am not a big fan of helping McDonalds or the other Ffast Garbage Dumps make money.
Once i was traveling and got a good case of the sh---ts and had to stop every few minutes. Luckily I was in Baton Rouge when this happened. My nephew said; lets stop at Mc Donalds. I said no. He said why. I said people mays ee me go in there and they will think that I am going to eat their GARBAGE. That c--p makes me puke. AAAGGGGGHHHHH. Puke!!!
One of our mutual funds own stock in the company but if enough people dump it they probaly will to. That is one Garbage Dump I have no use for.
I will not eat their Garbage.

I also don't think that holstiens make very good grass cattle. My brother had a few that he was feeding when he first started out. They always were scrawny, ugly looking things when they were on grass. They didn't look like anything I'd want to eat. I'd try some of the british breeds. Specifically look for animals that are smaller and have a short neck and large gut. Those are usually your best grass cattle.

Latest posts