*** Graphic *** Scours ? Caused by ??

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What could have caused this too much grain? I am feeding some hay that seems to be really good they basically eat the whole bale up in a few hours. Would you consider that scours ? This is in a first calf heifer due in February. She is eating good no issues I can see is there an need to treat this?

ResizedImage_1417095244758_zps5c7277b8.jpg

ResizedImage_1417095244042_zps275cae0b.jpg

ResizedImage_1417095242582_zps4253fbda.jpg

How many pounds per head are u feeding? If the hay is just grass hay and not alfalfa or some other high protein hay I would say she just ate to much grain.

Yea they are on grass also fescue.. The others aren't like that just her. It would probably be about 2 lbs per head of grain. The hay they are on has a ton of clover in it and mix of fescue and orchard grass.

I have a six year old that's not that wet but she started after a hard freeze and they tore into knee deep fescue. I put it to being a real wet year here and the grass is still sappy. This one is a big cow and pig fat. Could be the clover hay. Don't think two pounds of grain would be a factor.

fitz

if you havent wormed her i would.if she dont let up in a day or 2 id go to the vets and get a shot or 2 for scours.he may give you some pills as well.

That's pretty loose - if she doesn't firm up in a day or two, some diagnostics may be in order.
Fecal sample to the vet for an exam - and culture/sensitivity may be in order.
Johne's would be in the differential, but would be unusual in a heifer that hasn't yet calved.

johns can affect all ages of cattle if theyve been exposed to a carrier.even baby calves sucking from an infected momma.as its transferred through the milk.

bb338
Youngest animal I've ever seen with clinical Johne's Disease was a *supposedly* 7-month old calf. Most are older, in second lactation or older.

Friend here bought a group of 2-yr old black cows, with calf at side this summer. One broke with Johne's and went south rapidly this fall.
We do know that at least 25% of calves born to JD-infected cows are infected in utero; and data from NY JD eradication program suggests that, in beef herds, calves born to JD-infected cows are 10X more likely to be infected than calves born to non-JD infected dams in the same herd.

today seems she is getting back to normal and not as loose. I will continue to update. yes she's on a vaccination program.

Lucky_P":37paec9x said:
bb338
Youngest animal I've ever seen with clinical Johne's Disease was a *supposedly* 7-month old calf. Most are older, in second lactation or older.

Friend here bought a group of 2-yr old black cows, with calf at side this summer. One broke with Johne's and went south rapidly this fall.
We do know that at least 25% of calves born to JD-infected cows are infected in utero; and data from NY JD eradication program suggests that, in beef herds, calves born to JD-infected cows are 10X more likely to be infected than calves born to non-JD infected dams in the same herd.
thats because they can be carriers before they test positive.to rid a herd all the current positive cows have tobe culled.

Johne's is a very complex immunologic disease. Because most animals are exposed in utero or shortly after birth...their immune systems don't necessarily 'recognize' the organism as 'foreign' until it reaches 'critical mass'. Most animals don't mount a detectible antibody titer to the Johne's bacterium until just about the time they break with clinical disease - but may be shedding significant numbers of organisms in their feces (and milk/colostrum) before they become 'clinical' cases with the characteristic diarrhea and wasting.

Good resource site with lots of info on Johne's Disease, here: http://www.johnes.org/

skyhightree1":30yftm0r said:
today seems she is getting back to normal and not as loose. I will continue to update. yes she's on a vaccination program.

May be spending too much time in that protein tub.

fitz

I've had a couple do that the first day or 2 that I put a tub out but they clear up quickly. It's one of the reasons not to put a tub out alone to really hungry cattle.