Grapette Just for Fun

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Would you pay $650.00 for this bottle?

Most people probably wouldn't and I don't guess I could blame them. I've been collecting Grapette memorabilia for about 25 years and bought that bottle 22 years ago for $500.00. I've come to realize none of my kids give a crap about my collection and it would either end up in a garage sale for a pittance or trashed after the wife and I are gone. I've been kicking that thought around for a while and have decided to liquidate the collection. Just ran this bottle on Ebay and didn't sell, but a guy contacted me and said he wanted it if I would let him pay it out, so I'm selling.

Popular back the 30's & 40's. My bottle contained syrup that you would mix with water and make your grape drink and when empty it became a bank. This bottle is called the Slick-Eared Elephant if you want to read about it.

slick4591":107uftp8 said:
Popular back the 30's & 40's. My bottle contained syrup that you would mix with water and make your grape drink and when empty it became a bank. This bottle is called the Slick-Eared Elephant if you want to read about it.

Interesting. So did they all have an interesting design?

wacocowboy":1fjqu3kl said:
slick4591":1fjqu3kl said:

Interesting. So did they all have an interesting design?

There's another elephant which there's an abundance of. They also put the syrup in cat and clown shaped bottles under the Grapette name. Snowcrest also sold the syrup in a Bear shaped bottle. All of those were banks when you emptied them. The slick-eared is valuable because of the glass shortage in WWII. They made that bottle out of much thinner glass which were broken easier. I don't have proof, nor can I find any, but it's been said by other collectors there's only 35 to 40 of those in accounted for.

Caustic Burno":2925pe73 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2925pe73 said:
Ol' 243":2925pe73 said:
650 bucks ???? Are you serious ???? Yea, I would be selling too.

Collectables are pretty amazing. One man's trash another man's treasure kinda deal.

Got a neighbor that collects old oil cans.

I know a few that collect those oil cans and they run out of space to display them because there's so many.

slick4591":1idwum5t said:

Most people probably wouldn't and I don't guess I could blame them. I've been collecting Grapette memorabilia for about 25 years and bought that bottle 22 years ago for $500.00. I've come to realize none of my kids give a crap about my collection and it would either end up in a garage sale for a pittance or trashed after the wife and I are gone. I've been kicking that thought around for a while and have decided to liquidate the collection. Just ran this bottle on Ebay and didn't sell, but a guy contacted me and said he wanted it if I would let him pay it out, so I'm selling.

Dennis,
I am going through the same phase of my life. For example, I have a case knife collection. Some very nice pieces. If I passed away tonight, my son might sell them for a fraction of their value or put them in the attic to rust away. I need to sell them and send him a nice IRA contribution.

I also have some very nice trophy mounts. Bighorn sheep, pronghorn, elk, mule deer, Rocky Mountain Goat, Bushbuck, Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, etc. I need to dispose of those too. Material possessions that I don't use on a regular basis no longer have the appeal they once did.

My bottle money will go towards another cow. I'll get more happiness from that and one of the boys might actually care enough to keep raising them.

I probably drank the equivalent of nine RR tank cars of Grapette in my youth. By far my favorite.
Suncrest and Mission after that.

slick4591":5pwkocj5 said:
My bottle money will go towards another cow. I'll get more happiness from that and one of the boys might actually care enough to keep raising them.

:clap: :lol:

Bright Raven":2kmffqdx said:
slick4591":2kmffqdx said:

Dennis,
I am going through the same phase of my life. For example, I have a case knife collection. Some very nice pieces. If I passed away tonight, my son might sell them for a fraction of their value or put them in the attic to rust away. I need to sell them and send him a nice IRA contribution.

I also have some very nice trophy mounts. Bighorn sheep, pronghorn, elk, mule deer, Rocky Mountain Goat, Bushbuck, Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, etc. I need to dispose of those too. Material possessions that I don't use on a regular basis no longer have the appeal they once did.

Buddy is a taxidermist. He was telling me about selling mounts that people don't come pick up on Ebay and the money he would receive. I figured he'd be taking it in the shorts but that wasn't the case at all.

Bright Raven":5imimjdx said:
slick4591":5imimjdx said:

Dennis,

You'll get nice money for those mounts and you can just bring me the knives as a token of appreciation for my everlasting friendship.

J&D Cattle":1yxiki4s said:
Bright Raven":1yxiki4s said:
slick4591":1yxiki4s said:

Dennis,

Buddy is a taxidermist. He was telling me about selling mounts that people don't come pick up on Ebay and the money he would receive. I figured he'd be taking it in the shorts but that wasn't the case at all.

I thought about that. My concern would be the cost of shipping.

TennesseeTuxedo":148962ut said:
Bright Raven":148962ut said:
slick4591":148962ut said:

Dennis,

You'll get nice money for those mounts and you can just bring me the knives as a token of appreciation for my everlasting friendship.

Maybe one. :cboy:

Latest posts