Grandson's Pure Gold heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
I bred our grandson's heifer, Daisy, to Pure Gold last spring. She delivered it with no problem on 2/3/11. Daisy will be 2 in March. Her half brother is pictured in a post I just made on the show board, he's also in the background of the middle picture.

Daisy:
100_03422.JPG

Daughter MariGold:
100_0338.JPG

Daisy's mother, Annie, as a yearling in 2008:
DCP_1622.JPG

Interesting choice, Chris - going back and breeding to Pure Gold with Battle Ground already in Daisy's pedigree. I've been considering doing something similar. The calf sure looks good. So does the cow. Keep us informed of her progress. She should make a show heifer.

George

We're hoping MariGold turns out to be a show girl. Daisy needed heavier bone & more muscle to be competitive. Another shot of Pure Gold may do it.

I agree she could have done with more muscle, but her bone is adequate for the breed in my opinion. She is very feminine with a very good wedge and udder, she would have been reasonably competitive here as a junior heifer with calf at side, she might not be as competitive as an older cow, but I'd much rather take a feminine highly maternal heifer like her than a big stout one without the femininity.

I agree with Harley, and I really like that cow. You'll have to refresh my memory on her breeding, it's nice to see you post some pictures again Chris!

CPL":szfond3p said:
I agree with Harley, and I really like that cow. You'll have to refresh my memory on her breeding, it's nice to see you post some pictures again Chris!

Here's Daisy's pedigree:
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5B5B2722582F23&9=5B5C5D

We really liked her sire, we never had a young bull go out and breed & gain weight as a yearling like he did. He also had an attitude and no respect for us, so he was already gone when his calves hit the ground. We kept 2 heifers from him, both belong to our grandson and are from the same cow line. Their attitude is acceptable.

A quick update on the Pure Gold heifer & her mom... We kicked them out of the barn shortly after I took those pics in Feb. We brought the cow & calf back in the barn in early July and showed them the last week of July & first week of August. The calf acted a bit nervous the first day. We tied her overnight the first night and let them loose during the day. From the second day we could walk up and halter her. She has a nice temperment, but does ocassionaly like to butt.
100_0449.JPG