Grandparent names

Help Support CattleToday:

Grandpa

Reaction score
All you who are grandparents, I'm curious about your grandparent "name" and how you came by it. As we know, the oldest one gets to name you. When my oldest granddaughter (now 9) was a baby, my daughter asked me what I wanted to be called; I was holding out for "Grandpa". The closest the little one could get to it was Gaga (no relation to the "lady" by the same name and I was Gaga before she was). All 4 of the grandkids call me that now so I guess I am Gaga for life. My wife is Neenee. After the 2nd one was born, my daughter made me a ballcap with rainbow-colored embroidered letters that said "Gaga's Girls - G--- and C---" which I wore proudly for a short while until I went into a hardware store. The college age girl at the cash register took one look and said "no offense, mister, but I had two donkeys named G--- and C---". I said, "well you get the Miss Congeniality award". Didn't know what she was so disgusted about. The next day at lunch with a friend, he took one look at this bright colored cap and said "have you been to one of those Gentlemen's Clubs?" So I only wear the cap at home on the farm when the kids are here.

What's your story? I would rather be Gaga than Peepaw :)

I'm Superpapa, and my wife is Nana. I knew I was the best Grandpa, so I had to be the Superbest. When they're about 2 they can say it all. gs

I was determined to not allow anyone suggest a name for me with the oldest. Everyone would ask him who I was and nothing came out for a good while. Then one day he blurted out I was "Goat", so Paw Paw was introduce quickly. Been a Paw Paw ever since.

TexasBred":lf4k7qit said:
Two call me Grandaddy, 3 call me Paw and 2 call me Pop. I let them decide.
your right in letting the grandkids decide what they want to call you.before i started talking all the grankids called 1 of my grandmas granny.when i started talking i changed it completely so every1 followed me.the kid decides what to call you not the parent.

Mine calls me Paw Paw and he picked it up by himself - no coaching. First words out of his mouth was "Paw Paw", not momma or mommy. Sure hissed my daughter off.

The two older grandchildren live in California, Sarah 21 and Jeromey 17 call us granpa, and granma. The younger girls Isabella 10, Audrey 7, live in Allen, Texas and Lily 5, lives with us in Alabama. They call us Papa and Granma. There all going to be here next Tuesday so were going to be busy for the next ten days.

My wife has a horse and she'll take the grandkids for rides when they're old enough. So to one set of grandkids she's Horsey Grandma and I'm Horsey Grandpa. To the other set she's Horsey Mamaw and I'm Horsey Papaw. I suppose that'll change as they grow older. I can't see a 15 year old wanting to call me Horsey Papaw. :cboy:

My neice called me Bebo when she was little. Will, my grandson changed it to Beba. Thr next one changed it to just Ba. They are six and two. Porter the two year old calls me Bill and laughs.
Grand children are so special.
Bill Brower

Thanks for the great replies. Been a grandparent for 9 years and can say it is way more fun than being a parent was (especially raising teenagers). I get to be the good guy, then sugar 'em up and send 'em home. :lol2:

My neighbor had a hat that read: If I knew how fun grandkids were I would have had them first!

I had a Nanny and Grandad. I was the oldest so I named both of them.
The other set, I call Mema and Papa although the rest of the grandkids call them Grandma and Grandpa, and I am not the oldest. I just wanted to be different.

They all call me Poppa. All five now. One of my sisters doesn't have grand babies yet; she started late. She told my oldest that her name was Magnificent. That's what three of them now call her.

My youngest grand baby has not said Daddy yet but she has called me Poppa several times. I think it is because she hears it so much when all of them are together.

On one side I had the usual "grandma and grandpa Hurst"... but on the other side I had Nanny and PoPo (sometimes shortened to Pope). ALL us grandkids called them that. My own kids have a Grandma and Papa and a Bumpa. The Bumpa is what gets their friends giggling... and more than once I've heard them say, "I have a Popo (great-grandpa), Papa and Bumpa!!" I'm ALMOST to the age of having grandkids and I guess the first one will set the pace for the rest... though God help me as my oldest daughter is a real jokester and she'll probably force some idiotic name on me just to be funny.

I'm not a parent, let alone a grandparent, but my best friend's parents are Spapazat and Kukwa, which are the native indian words for grandma and grandpa in the local language.. I find them quite nice, though Spapazat ma be hard for a 3 year old to say

Latest posts