Granddaughters new horse

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
My granddaughter just retired her current barrel horse. Previous owner who was the breeder is going to buy it back at a payment a month. She did not want it to go to the kill pen. So now she is looking and looking. She found one out of Fire Water Flit. It's a buckskin quarter horse two years old. horse has been patterned but still untested. If anyone knows of another good prospect, I would like the heads up. She needs one to finish high school and take to college.

I shutter to think what a horse would cost, that would be competitive in Texas High School Rodeo.

She has done real well with her past horse. She would place high in the 2d with an occasional win. She needs a 1d horse. So she is going to buy a young one and bring it around herself. They are expensive. She lacks self confidence in everything except her horse and riding.

papavillars":3qnbzg8w said:
She has done real well with her past horse. She would place high in the 2d with an occasional win. She needs a 1d horse. So she is going to buy a young one and bring it around herself. They are expensive. She lacks self confidence in everything except her horse and riding.

Sounds like you've found a good activity for her to be in.

Those were my thoughts as well -- being only two, it will have to be brought around slow. I wouldn't run full speed around the barrels until the horse is at least 4 and maybe not until it's 5.

I have a quadruple bred doc bar horse(doc bar is on his papers), that I lucked into when I started some horses for a former Air Force gent near here...since I was retired Army, he basically gave him to me. Anyway, back on track, I started him as a late two year old, rode him off and on for the next two years, and now, that he is five, I am tracking steers and getting him ready to rope on. It's a long, hard wait until they are physically ready to take the punishment of barrel racing or roping....

Papa
Dip in them pockets and pull out $15k+ and get that girl mounted
A poor horse can ruin the sport for her or Kill/cripple her
Starting a young horse is fine but not in the arena when your trying to compete

Well I doubt I spend 15k. She has a horse she sold two years ago that she can use to keep competing. She has one more to look at this Thursday, then she will decide. I am ready for to decide so I can stop driving 150 miles plus every other day. Have been from broken bow ok, to round rock Texas.

Both of my girls run barrels. I have reached a point, that I hate that part of the sport. People can throw enough money at it, to be competitive. I like girls breakaway 1000 X better. A lot more even playing field. If at all possible, I let my wife deal with barrels.

My daughter always had a horse she was very successfull on initially sporting at Pony Club and then with eventing and dressage, her horse was always the envy of her competitors yet we never paid anything near big money for them, my wife and daughter always had a good eye for a horse and my daughter was very talented and persistant at developing them.

Ken

Latest posts