Grand Opening of TSC..............

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm sure that quality of the stores can be different in some places, but I have just about stopped going to TSC or Rural king unless I need something after our feed stores are closed. TSC seems to be stocking less cattle supplies, and a lot of their things are in locked cabinets, and good luck getting a worker to help in a timely manner. The one here doesn't restock well and are usually out of the very size pins etc. that I am looking for.

As to the picture in the first post, that would be entertaining to see a bear in some of the parking lots here. Bears are getting more numerous around in the surrounding areas, and two have been hit on interstates in this county, Year before last the person raking hay on our far field was surprised by a bear when it ran out of a thicket. Neighbors saw a mother and cub on their trail camera.

Give TSC a break. They are seldom the best supply store for the true farmer nor do they try to be. They are a supply store for the small hobby type guys and the suburbanites. They try to match their inventory to what sells well in each area where there is a store. All in all its a very profitable well run company and I wish I would have been smart enough to buy stock in the company 30 years ago.

Saying all that, I think they would do better with a better quality tool line than the Chinese junk they sell. Also as mentioned, it takes a while to restock when things run out. They need their inventory system to automatically reorder stuff as things get bought. Some stores are much better than others but they are what they are and I visit them at least every couple weeks. They are located in the small town areas where I farm and I can get in and out of store in just a few minutes.

Not the best for feed but pretty good for pet food, lubricants, nuts and bolts and like others said, maybe your only choice on a Sunday.

Inventory control is definitely important and a good manager looks well down the road trying to make sure he doesn't run out. Pay attention to business and you'll know what's moving fast and what isn't. But there will always be the occasional hiccup to mess up the best laid plans. A huge majority of stores have employees that don't know squat about the products and most can't even point you in the direction of anything except the dogfood and it's all junk.

We have a great hardware store in Navasota, a TSC, and two feed stores. I had a water leak a few years ago. It was after 5:00pm, so of course the hardware store was closed. No problem, I'll go to TSC. So I drove to town, went in the store, found the plumbing aisle, and picked out the PVC fittings that I needed. Next I needed some PVC pipe. I asked one of their sale associates, who politely told me that it was outside. Great. I walked outside and he was right. They did have some pipe out there, and it was the size I needed. Too bad it was schedule 10. P***ed me off.

Rafter S":3ma7rer7 said:
We have a great hardware store in Navasota, a TSC, and two feed stores. I had a water leak a few years ago. It was after 5:00pm, so of course the hardware store was closed. No problem, I'll go to TSC. So I drove to town, went in the store, found the plumbing aisle, and picked out the PVC fittings that I needed. Next I needed some PVC pipe. I asked one of their sale associates, who politely told me that it was outside. Great. I walked outside and he was right. They did have some pipe out there, and it was the size I needed. Too bad it was schedule 10. P***ed me off.
Still a few of those old original hardware stores around. Some of the inventory probably been in there 40 years or more. Really enjoyable to just wander up and down the aisles and see what you can find. Watched a TV program about one in New Braunfuls, Texas the other day. Been open since around 1800's. Really neat and all the locals pretty much still shop there.

http://www.hennehardware.com/

M-5":301auw2a said:
http://www.jacksoncountytimes.net/jackson-county-history/greenwood-history/item/3115-penders-store.html
If they don't have it I doubt you're gonna find it. :nod:

I buy electric fence supplies, calf colostrum, wild life bait or attractants and occasionally dog food, boots and clothing, and front line for the dogs at TSC. I do like the store and don't want it to leave, but I agree the people that work there don't know crap and what gets me is them asking me all the time if they can help me. Truth be told 8 out of 10 times they can't. My uncle just went in the other day wanting barb wire, uncle said they didn't even knew what it was. I think rural king is worse though and that's saying something.
Here I don't have to worry about bumping into a bear to get in the store though.

Latest posts