Graining

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
We like to use the old trusty grain bucket to intice our cows to come up every night. A fellow cowman was over the other night and told us how bad it was to give grain to 8 month bred cows. He claims that it has bad effects on the cow/calf as well as the cows milk. Is there any opinions on this issue as well as what kind of grains are approp. for cows that are farther along.
This is the first we have heard of this.
Thanks

No matter what is fed to cattle, as a producer you need to be able to "body condition score" your cattle. Cattle are scored from a 1-9. One being "dead thin" and 9 obese. Heifers due to calve should be about a 6.5-7 condition score so that they have enough reserve to come into milk & breed back after calving. Cows should be about a 6 score. When people say you shouldn't feed grain to close calvers, they are worried that the calf will get too big and cause dystocia. Research shows that cattle underfed were more likely to have difficulty calving & the calves are more likely to die, than cattle that were overfed. BUT, there is a happy medium. Too fat, too much protein & the calf gets bigger which leads to dystocia. It's one of those things that you need "just right". Look at your cattle, do they have large fat pockets on each side of their tailhead? Do they have round filled out briskets? Can you see ribs? or are they buried in an inch of fat? I have Simmental, and when my cows are in good condition they will "just" show a few ribs, spine nicely covered with meat & fat.
If you're cows are fat, I would cut down the amount I'm feeding if you need to get them to come up to a feeder each night to see them. If they're "just right" keep up what you are doing. I personnally couldn't affort to feed my cows ANY grain. They get good hay all winter & grass in the summer. Replacement heifers get grain until they are safe in calf in the spring.

How many cows, how big a bucket and how full was it?

Bez

Some dairies separate their dry cows (7mon+), others don't...so obviously the drys in those herds are eating grain with the milking herd. If it had bad effects on the cow/calf or cow's milk after calving I'm sure the dairies wouldn't let their dry stock eat grain.

My understanding is that feeding the cow does not make a large calf...it could make the cow fat and then lead to birthing problems. We feed grain to our cows, more during the winter about 6lbs, and have not had a birthing problem. I have read that if you feed alot of grain or high protein, the milk problem would be too much off it. Again haven't had that problem except from one cow who always has too much--and her calves never complain and catch it up in a couple weeks.

Be careful because if you get your cows overfat they may not breed back + have problems. We have one "fat" cow but so far she hasn't had any problems, the AI guy always thinks she will.

Good Luck!

I was always told that grain in the last tirmester added weight to the calf.

Any nutrition over & above the needed maintenance of the cow & pregnancy will put weight on the cow. If she needs weight, that's fine. If she is already in good condition, than the excess goes to fat & increased size of the calf. The research showed that a possible extra 10 pounds on the calf caused LESS calving difficulty/death loss, than compared to a cow that has not received ENOUGH nutrition and she is thin & has a thin weak calf.

certherfbeef":12wzbhm4 said:
I was always told that grain in the last tirmester added weight to the calf.

This is one of those subjects that's almost as controversial as politics. Within reason, added nutrition during the last trimester doesn't add significatnly to the calves size. The down side is if too much you get fat cows, particularly heifers that have problems not from the size of the calf but from the excessive fat. The old addage that you can't starve a small calf out of a cow is right on the button.
The better the nutriion, once again within reason, gives you a calf that is more vigorous at birth and a cow that can milk well, or up to her potential anyway, and one that will breed back on time.

dun

O.K. Let me clerify!! Our cows are of healthy weight. They are right where they should be. When I am talking about giving them grain I am talking about maybe a coffee can's worth +or- each. This is not grain for weight. They are not getting enough to make a change in there weight. We use it as a "treat" A way to see the herd in the evening ( we see them in the morning out in the fields when we check fences etc.) Half of the herd we feed by hand. It works well for keeping them calm around us and gives us a second look.
I had not heard of all the questions as to the effects on the calves. Please keep it coming.

Double R Ranch

Keep doin' whut yer doin'!

It's fine and you will always be able to have them come on the run. Cows and calves alike.

Bez