Graining One

Help Support CattleToday:

You've done great, and I have to compliment you, because even the ones we've done haven't always looked like that. Pat yourself on the back, bud, and remember your recipe for success... and consider telling me your recipe for steak.
Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate it and hope some folks got something from this thread. I didn't start the thread but just kinda jumped all in. Hope I didn't offend anyone. 🙂

I almost always cook steak over charcoal. Tho I have used the pellet smoker occasionally.
I don't use a lot of seasoning. I'm an addict of Lowrys seasoned salt in moderation. And I like some cavenders as well. Occasionally use both.
Folks can always add something if they like because I try not to overseason!
Have not used a sauce or marinade in forever.
View attachment 23238

Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate it and hope some folks got something from this thread. I didn't start the thread but just kinda jumped all in. Hope I didn't offend anyone. 🙂

I almost always cook steak over charcoal. Tho I have used the pellet smoker occasionally.
I don't use a lot of seasoning. I'm an addict of Lowrys seasoned salt in moderation. And I like some cavenders as well. Occasionally use both.
Folks can always add something if they like because I try not to overseason!
Have not used a sauce or marinade in forever.
View attachment 23238
Good job. Properly finished beef is a premium product. Takes time and money.

I like McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning. The Excalibur seasonings are really good too.

Just bought some Hi Mountain brisket and prime rib rub. Tastes good out of the shaker, we'll see how it holds up on the meat.

I must profess that I sometimes use the Saltgrass seasoning.
I really liked the Western Sizzlin "gold dust"

Grandpa always used just plain ol salt n pepper. His beef always came from the base. (Retired air force of 30 yrs)

I'll never forget the first time I saw the 'ol man slice a piece off of a raw T-bone! 🤣
Dash of salt and down the hatch. The approving look on his face while chewing was priceless!

And my dear grandmother's reaction,
"OH George, really??"

Good times..
Good times....

I really liked the Western Sizzlin "gold dust"

Grandpa always used just plain ol salt n pepper. His beef always came from the base. (Retired air force of 30 yrs)

I'll never forget the first time I saw the 'ol man slice a piece off of a raw T-bone! 🤣
Dash of salt and down the hatch. The approving look on his face while chewing was priceless!

And my dear grandmother's reaction,
"OH George, really??"

Good times..
Good times....
S&P for my grandfather as well, sometimes town beef and sometimes one of ours. Mine was retired Air Force as well.

Heavy garlic powder on a cold steak. Heavy pepper and salt. Three/four minutes per side at high heat to get a real sear, depending on thickness and taste. I like mine rare to medium rare.
When I butcher a large animal, I always set aside a steak from it early on, salted. When I get done later, I clean up, wash up, and then go in there and cook it just enough to be safe and relish in the fresh meat.

I am a fan of beefing mature cows. If they've been in good condition their whole life, it will be a rewarding eating experience. Plus steaks are the size of a dinner plate.

Processor should know real quick of they're tough.

I will put them on whole or cracked corn for 60 days minimum. I aim for 1 to 1.5 percent bodyweight in corn . Moreso just for flavor as the marbling is already there.

I want to think the oldest I've had processed was likely 8 or 9 years old... and no complaints. I aim for 3 to 6 years of age though. Processor says they're the best beefs he touches. Plus he gets paid well due to their size....1250 to 1600 pounds. I aim for 1400 pounders.

Cull heifers that have calved once or twice are the sweet spot for me.

I do still raise steers to beef, but cannot keep up with demand with our limited acreage and small cow herd. Have some people buying two wholes a year.

Just saying.... don't be afraid of some age as long as the condition is there. They're money makers...

I am a fan of beefing mature cows. If they've been in good condition their whole life, it will be a rewarding eating experience. Plus steaks are the size of a dinner plate.

I will put them on whole or cracked corn for 60 days minimum. I aim for 1 to 1.5 percent bodyweight in corn . Moreso just for flavor as the marbling is already there.

I want to think the oldest I've had processed was likely 8 or 9 years old... and no complaints. I aim for 3 to 6 years of age though. Processor says they're the best beefs he touches. Plus he gets paid well due to their size....1250 to 1600 pounds. I aim for 1400 pounders.

I do still raise steers to beef, but cannot keep up with demand with our limited acreage and small cow herd. Have some people buying two wholes a year.

Just saying.... don't be afraid of some age as long as the condition is there. They're money makers...
I'll know soon enough.

The older cow is done. Got to go get my ribeyes and filets from my friend.
The ribeyes are NOT large. She was a compact cow

Just finished and thought I'd share what's on my mind.

First off, I made a mistake. They were not thawed completely! Cooked on charcoal of coarse.
The steak on the left was slightly thicker and came out a perfect medium!
The one on the right was well done.
The difference in the 2 steaks was crazily dissimilar.
Medium steak was easy to cut. Not quite as nice as the ribeyes, but very good! And much more tender than the 2nd steak.
The well done steak was what I was expecting of a store bought strip. Slightly firm/tougher than a ribeye by a ways.

Neither was a disappointment, but I found the difference in the 2 steak quite unique I guess is the word

I agree with the age thing. I dropped a G cow off at the butcher the other day (3 1/2 years old ). She lost her calf this spring, didn't breed back so came in this fall in great shape (fat). Went to the butcher empty at 1,640 lbs. She's only been getting about 3-4 lbs a day of grain the last month because she was in with my replacements. Im reasonably confident she will be as good as others we've harvested under similar circumstances. The 3 year old steer with no ears and bad hind feet I'm not so sure about lol. He looked like crap but did weigh over 1,200 so time will tell. If he isn't good I'll catch he!! because he was kinda the family pet since I brought him in from the cold as a newborn and nursed him back to life.

I agree with the age thing. I dropped a G cow off at the butcher the other day (3 1/2 years old ). She lost her calf this spring, didn't breed back so came in this fall in great shape (fat). Went to the butcher empty at 1,640 lbs. She's only been getting about 3-4 lbs a day of grain the last month because she was in with my replacements. Im reasonably confident she will be as good as others we've harvested under similar circumstances. The 3 year old steer with no ears and bad hind feet I'm not so sure about lol. He looked like crap but did weigh over 1,200 so time will tell. If he isn't good I'll catch he!! because he was kinda the family pet since I brought him in from the cold as a newborn and nursed him back to life.
I bet she will be very enjoyable. They're what I consider our unfair advantage. They're cheap if you have to buy... they don't require much for inputs, and they sure have pretty ribeyes.

I am a ribeye guy. Want a piece of fat with each bite. 😂

Latest posts