Graining One

Help Support CattleToday:

That's how the farmer feeders maintain their competitive advantage. They are insulated from those grain costs.

If you don't have an angle on keeping grain prices in check, the feedlot business seems to be a quick way to lose a fortune.
Rocfarm, I don't follow your thinking. That grain has a value that could be sold instead of being fed. My point in posting the figures was to show that the average feedlot calf is fed longer than most people think and give them an idea of what it cost to feed one.

Rocfarm, I don't follow your thinking. That grain has a value that could be sold instead of being fed. My point in posting the figures was to show that the average feedlot calf is fed longer than most people think and give them an idea of what it cost to feed one.
Check out Sonne farms on YouTube, and think about how northern cattle always grade better. You are right to a point, except those a guys will sell grain and feed cattle. They do it for the diversification option. But this year many have said that feeding cattle is a loser. But they are not actually bleeding cash, just making less. Also, they can wet harvest corn that wouldn't yield well and make a bit back by feeding it as part of silage, which helps. By this method and by rotating their crops, haying, and feeding cattle, somehow they make the whole worth more than the sum of the parts.

My only point is that if you are a farmer feeder and grow corn, you tend to get a discount on your grain that won't put you under if you have to feed.

If you have to buy it on the open market, it's harder to stay afloat in a hard year.

Last edited:
Best wishes for a profit. Next year looking good if we can all get some rain. Texas cattle sticks are down 30% from peak.

Might want to think about raising your prices:).
I got his mom for $375 from a guy b/c the cow he sold me came up empty. I feel like he made the deal right since there's a lot of factors that go into a cow missing. Sold that cow for my initial investment in her. I sold this steer's mom as freezer beef for $2500 after getting him, and I'll sell 3/4 of him, and probably make ~$1800. He was out of a homegrown bull, so no cost there. And I sold that bull as freezer beef, and made money on him.

Prices here suck b/c there's a ton of Craig's List Cowboys selling freezer beef for $2.50/lb hanging, $2/lb live weight, sometimes $4.50lb cut and wrapped on just the meat part. I look at those guys and wonder how they're making anything.

I got his mom for $375 from a guy b/c the cow he sold me came up empty. I feel like he made the deal right since there's a lot of factors that go into a cow missing. Sold that cow for my initial investment in her. I sold this steer's mom as freezer beef for $2500 after getting him, and I'll sell 3/4 of him, and probably make ~$1800. He was out of a homegrown bull, so no cost there. And I sold that bull as freezer beef, and made money on him.

Prices here suck b/c there's a ton of Craig's List Cowboys selling freezer beef for $2.50/lb hanging, $2/lb live weight, sometimes $4.50lb cut and wrapped on just the meat part. I look at those guys and wonder how they're making anything.
What need to be "looked at" is the quality of their product.
Cattle coming off grass allows a person to sell it cheap.

I've personally seen folks selling said animals as fed beef. Even when they do feed em, when the feeder goes empty for a week or so at the time, that kills quality!

I agree tho. To sell quality meat on the hoof and make a profit tough. Neighbor is doing it, but the buyers are also splitting feed bills....

This video explains a lot about the farmer feeder advantages vs. opportunity cost for the farmer feeders for any who are still interested.:). I'm fast learning not to ever be caught without 6 to 9 months of grass, I think…

Last edited:
Got mine hauled today! This is the thread I was supposed to post it to. Took me a bit to find it. I could not weigh individual animals as logistics played a part in it. I'll bet mine was close to 1200lbs. She was much larger than the lil ol cow my neighbor sent.
20221106_174206.jpg20221106_174138.jpg20221106_160222.jpg

The 2 animals weighed 2120lbs

I'm betting Rosie was 950 soaking wet. More like 850-900. Shes been fed well at my neighbors, but was a compact cow.

Wayne, the butcher seems to think mine will hang 600 easy....

They get .90 cut and wrapped.
100 kill and disposal

She may be ready before Thanksgiving. I told em let her hang long as they think is good. No rush

any update @Bestoutwest ?

Last edited:
I had totally forgotten to post an update! He was 672# hanging. I was hoping to top 700, but it wasn't meant to be. His sire's side was a bit on the smaller side. Good animals, just not meat wagons. I got some steaks at home, and will take a picture when I can remember. Much better marbling and fat distribution as compared with the grass fed stuff.

Got mine hauled today! This is the thread I was supposed to post it to. Took me a bit to find it. I could not weigh individual animals as logistics played a part in it. I'll bet mine was close to 1200lbs. She was much larger than the lil ol cow my neighbor sent.
View attachment 22830View attachment 22831
You did the right thing in taking her to the butcher, feet like that would cause you problems in the future if you were to keep her for breeding. She will look much better on your dinner plate.

@J+ Cattle

Ya know, I never really paid much attention to her feet as I was just gonna eat her anyway.

In the pics her toes look a bit scissor-toed huh?
@MurraysMutts
I had one cow like that, and they only get worse with age, she got to where the toes completely crossed over and she didn't get around very well. I took her to get trimmed up and then sold her not long after.

Here we go!
Undecided yet. Can't wait to get em on the grill. It's raining here so it may be tomorrow.
Ribeyes and filets from my brown heifer!
20221126_142245.jpg20221126_142446.jpg
As I was picking this one up, they were cutting up the 9 yr old compact cow. The ribeyes were small. They already had them packaged. The filets they were working on while I was there, and they looked great!

When they get them back I'll post a pic for all to see how the old cow marbled. He feeds his daily. They are all on hay and feed year round. Butcher was very surprised by the amount of fat the old cow had.

I can smell that through the phone.
Gotta add this and I know it sounds cliché

U can literally cut the filet with a fork!

Somehow or another I managed not to screw up feeding this one out. First one I've ever done myself and I'm very very happy.

The suspense was almost terrifying. The not knowing if it was gonna be good or great or aww crap I got a whole freezer full of this junk. 🙃
I was honestly debating if I wanted to do this again next year or not. I can say WITHOUT a doubt, YES, YES I WILL

Gotta add this and I know it sounds cliché

U can literally cut the filet with a fork!

Somehow or another I managed not to screw up feeding this one out. First one I've ever done myself and I'm very very happy.

The suspense was almost terrifying. The not knowing if it was gonna be good or great or aww crap I got a whole freezer full of this junk. 🙃
I was honestly debating if I wanted to do this again next year or not. I can say WITHOUT a doubt, YES, YES I WILL
Wow, this is your first time?

Wow, this is your first time?
Myself yes!

I've went in with a friend a couple times before. Always turned into a disaster.
From them not keeping the feeder full (a week or two off feed really messes things up) to butcher shop issues (didn't get the animal I owned)

I fed this animal by hand EVERY DAY myself. Twice a day. She NEVER missed a meal that I can remember.

Hands down, this was obviously done right. I wanted quality and I probably spent a bit more than I needed to, but it was most definitely worth it!

Myself yes!

I've went in with a friend a couple times before. Always turned into a disaster.
From them not keeping the feeder full (a week or two off feed really messes things up) to butcher shop issues (didn't get the animal I owned)

I fed this animal by hand EVERY DAY myself. Twice a day. She NEVER missed a meal that I can remember.

Hands down, this was obviously done right. I wanted quality and I probably spent a bit more than I needed to, but it was most definitely worth it!
You've done great, and I have to compliment you, because even the ones we've done haven't always looked like that. Pat yourself on the back, bud, and remember your recipe for success... and consider telling me your recipe for steak.