Graining One

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I'm going to finish a steer in the fall, but I had him in with a heifer this spring to wean her. I figured I'd train them to grain and did 2 weeks. Will that help in the overall finishing of the steer, or will I basically start from 0 when I bring him back in in the later summer to finish him on grain?

How long do you plan to grain him? I have learned that what most of us think is enough time to finish does not give the optimal marbling. Longer is better.
Not just that, but marbling starts early in life. A lean yearling won't marble as well as a calf that's been creep fed and got fleshy before weaning.

How long do you plan to grain him? I have learned that what most of us think is enough time to finish does not give the optimal marbling. Longer is better.
I'm planning on 45-60 days. I've never grained one, we've always just done grass fed, so I'd like to "get my toes wet" so to speak. Also, hay is pretty tight and I'm not wanting to go through a lot of that. I have some left over from this past year, but we're looking at $250/ton hay here.

I agree with Son of Butch. Even doubling that time to 120 days would be my bare minimum. I normally shoot for 6 months, but the one I have selected, that is in the field now, I plan on graining for 7 months. And since this is your first, remember to start him slow. I tried to push my last two too hard and one developed acidosis.

Last edited:
Hey, some people like grass fed beef - if it were me I'd at least double the time on grain... but that's just my preference
I have a customer that states she is so allergic to corn that she can't eat beef if they've ever been exposed to it. I've sold her a few that were strictly grass fed and she's always tickled pink.

This brown heifer has been on some sort of feed since the day I got her as a weanling at about 400lbs. 14% creep, then 20% cubes, now she's got a little bit of grass with her hay. And still feeding 14%creep. EVERY DAY since I got her.

She has an appointment November 8th. I plan on having her on full feed for 120 days up to her appointment.

I've spent entirely too much money on feed. And the real feeding hasn't even started yet!
You cannot imagine how much I'm looking forward to that first ribeye!

20211107_071210.jpg20220501_173841.jpg
I think these 2 pictures show how much she's grown. Look at the fence wires as height comparison. Been a loooong time...

I am curious as to why your top wire on the fence is spaced that way?
Originally was gonna put a 5th strand of barb wire. Ran out. Animals don't mess with it as I have a hotwire down the middle as well.
Handy for crawling in and out too.
Just hasn't been a priority to complete.

I'm planning on 45-60 days. I've never grained one, we've always just done grass fed, so I'd like to "get my toes wet" so to speak. Also, hay is pretty tight and I'm not wanting to go through a lot of that. I have some left over from this past year, but we're looking at $250/ton hay here.
120 day minimum and 150 days on feed would be better

I've spent entirely too much money on feed. And the real feeding hasn't even started yet!
You cannot imagine how much I'm looking forward to that first ribeye!
I hear you on the spending to much. I have a heifer I am feeding that I am going to have way to much into. Weened in January, and had planned on butchering this month, had a heck of a time getter on grain, so I pushed off butchering until the first week of September. I hope those ribeye's tasty.

Murry - are you feeding all pellets? Whole shell corn should be way cheaper than bag feed and best to finish with a low protein feed. High protein grows them - not fattens them.
Sorry - I'm a fanatic on WSC. Hubby was a nutritionist - WSC is the basis of all my feed - finishing and show feed.
That's what she's been on since I got her.
Will be switching to corn and sweet feed before too long.

Latest posts