grain

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a large Thoroughbred, 17.2hh and medium to large boned. He lives in a dry lot with shelter. He gets free choice hay, but I'm afraid it's not enough to keep his weight up during the Summer when he's ridden. He's been rather "hot" in the past when I put him on grain. Any ideas of what to feed him to keep his weight up without making him over excitable? Low protein high fiber maybe?

[email protected]

The grass hay should be enough protein for him. The grain will up the protein a little bit. It's the corn that causes the explosive energy. I switched to oil and got a more level energy that was longer lasting. I feed a 1/4 cup per day in their oats and they really shine! good luck!

Linda":gsvyz1v3 said:
I have a large Thoroughbred, 17.2hh and medium to large boned. He lives in a dry lot with shelter. He gets free choice hay, but I'm afraid it's not enough to keep his weight up during the Summer when he's ridden. He's been rather "hot" in the past when I put him on grain. Any ideas of what to feed him to keep his weight up without making him over excitable? Low protein high fiber maybe?

[email protected]
Oats is the preferred grain for horses among Horse trainers.

We too have a thoroughbred, we find he gets "hot" on anything with molasses. Also anything with alfafa in it, such as Allegra Senior. try a small amount of oats or small amount of dry cob. Our horse needs the extra feed to maintain his weight also. He's a 7 yr old gelding 16.2 hands. We feed a GOOD quailty hay and give him a small amount of dry cob twice a day with Vitamins, about a 1/4 coffee can twice a day... but he is still a thoroughbred...some days or better than others.

Rice bran is suppose to be a good weight builder and does not add heat to a horse. You could also try beet pulp. It is high is sugar and fiber, I am not sure if the sugar will make him hot or not. If you feed beet pulp make sure you soak it the night before you feed it, it swells about 3 times it size.

I have three quarter horse that stay on a dry lot, I feed four gallon of hole oats, a piece, per day( two in the morning,two in the evening ) I buy hole oats at the grainery for 2.51 a bushell usally 200 bushell in a gravity wagon. Free choice coastal bermuda hay(round roll) I buy wheat brand at the local feedmill and give each of them one cup a day two keep them from colic. my mares stay in great shape, same horses day after day. My wife say's i feed to much but i like a round horse.

Latest posts