SLaCowboy

Reaction score
Soybeans
34% CP
74% TDN

Rice
8% CP
76% TDN

Im currently feeding this mix to some 1200/1300# bred/calving cows with free choice low quaility hay

2 lbs Crushed Raw Soybeans
2 lbs Cracked Corn
.5 lb Crushed Rice

I have a large quanity of the rice and a limited quantity of the soybeans both which are free.
I purchase corn only.

I have a couple questions.

What is the largest percentage of a daily diet of both of these grains would you use in a ration?

What are some ways to utilize this rice? Being low in protien it dilutes most rations. Can you find any benifical ways to use it or is it not worth the hassel?

I have a grinder mix-all I used to grind and mix this grain.

You can get up to 8% of the total dry matter from raw soy, without complications, in balanced ration. Roasted soy you can use more, and SBM you can use the most.
No clue about rice, but I would say it's a lot like wheat which is 1/2 the total ration.

Corn
9.9% CP
89 TDN

I know nothing about Crushed Rice, sounds like it might compact in the rumen, even so I'd up it from .5 lb to 2 lbs
making your grain mix 2-2-2 instead of 2-2-0.5

8% + 9.9 + 34 = 51.9 div by 3 = 17.3% CP at 2-2-2 mix

Anyone see where this rice could replace a percentage of corn in a full grain finishing ration?

SLaCowboy":bmeqwmev said:
Soybeans
34% CP
74% TDN

Rice
8% CP
76% TDN

Im currently feeding this mix to some 1200/1300# bred/calving cows with free choice low quaility hay

2 lbs Crushed Raw Soybeans
2 lbs Cracked Corn
.5 lb Crushed Rice

I have a large quanity of the rice and a limited quantity of the soybeans both which are free.
I purchase corn only.

I have a couple questions.

What is the largest percentage of a daily diet of both of these grains would you use in a ration?

What are some ways to utilize this rice? Being low in protien it dilutes most rations. Can you find any benifical ways to use it or is it not worth the hassel?

I have a grinder mix-all I used to grind and mix this grain.

Remove all the corn and replace with the rice. You'll be good to go and won't have to buy corn.