Grain vs Better Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

TGCJ7

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how to supplement my cows this winter. They will be on stockpiled grass until hopefully January, at that point I'm going to have to start feeding them. Right now I bought some cheap grass hay for roughage and I was thinking about supplementing them with 5lbs of feed mix.
The feed mix would cost me about $.58 per day as a supplement. I like the idea that I will know exactly what nutrition they are getting because the mix has been analyzed. I also like the idea that I can ration out the feed. Ohio State Ex. recomends grain supplementation.
Cattle hay around here is pretty cheap this year too. I can get a 600lb bale of alfalfa mix for $25. But I don't like the idea that I cannot ration the hay and I'm afraid they'll tear it up. On the other hand I've read that it's not wise to supplement hay with grain because it changes the microbes in the rumen.
Which would be better cheap hay and grain (1.32/day). Or better hay and no grain(1.80/day).
I'm in southern Ohio and all my cows are lactating with fall calves or they are growing heifers.

I'm pretty sure I already know my answer but I'd like some other input.
Thanks
Tim

Moderate grain supplementation will work with grass/hay. The 2 types of feed do require different microbes but as long as hay is the predominant feed and you don;t over do it with the grain there won;t be a problem.

TGCJ7":2spf236x said:
I've been thinking about how to supplement my cows this winter. They will be on stockpiled grass until hopefully January, at that point I'm going to have to start feeding them. Right now I bought some cheap grass hay for roughage and I was thinking about supplementing them with 5lbs of feed mix.
The feed mix would cost me about $.58 per day as a supplement. I like the idea that I will know exactly what nutrition they are getting because the mix has been analyzed. I also like the idea that I can ration out the feed. Ohio State Ex. recomends grain supplementation.
Cattle hay around here is pretty cheap this year too. I can get a 600lb bale of alfalfa mix for $25. But I don't like the idea that I cannot ration the hay and I'm afraid they'll tear it up. On the other hand I've read that it's not wise to supplement hay with grain because it changes the microbes in the rumen.
Which would be better cheap hay and grain (1.32/day). Or better hay and no grain(1.80/day).
I'm in southern Ohio and all my cows are lactating with fall calves or they are growing heifers.

Thanks
Tim

Get your hay tested - you might not even need grain - you need a start point and you do not have it

Feed store can help you

Cheaper than buying grain if the hay is good.

Even straight grass can make it if it is high quality.

Amazing number of people do not do this - and yet are willing spend cash on grain.

Test first - then decide

Cheers

Bez+

Might be helpful to know how many cows and heifers are you talking about so one can better understand your situation.

The feed mix sounds pricey to me. According to the numbers you gave it is costing 11.6 cents per pound. What's all in it? I can buy all the corn I want for 6.5 cents and barley is less than that.

TGCJ7":3bm8wuyl said:

Thanks
Tim

At that price I'd buy the 600 lb. bale of hay and not worry too much about the little bit of waste you'll have. Limit feed the hay if necessary and let him hustle for the grass available. In my mind ALL well balanced rations begin with "roughage" regardless of the quality and then you build around it.

Tim,
The disastrous year we had in 2007 - Easter freeze and prolonged severe drought - caused us to switch from free-choice hay-feeding to limit-feeding. It worked so well that we've continued it as our normal winter feeding regimen.
Cows have access to the hay feeders for about an hour and fifteen minutes - this allows them to eat about 10#/hd; then, they go out to 10-12#/hd of modified distiller's grain product(50%moisture, 15% protein, 3.5% fat). They want more, but that is enough for them to hold condition - and they've come through the past two winters in far, far better condition than they ever did before when they had all the crappy local (overmature at harvest) hay they could eat. They 'want' more - but eventually they get back out and pick through the pastures for what they can find.
As I get my pastures back into shape after the devastation of 2007, and can stockpile sufficient fescue, I can probably cut back on the amount of hay and DDG fed.

Lucky_P":1bqkcx6s said:
Tim,
The disastrous year we had in 2007 - Easter freeze and prolonged severe drought - caused us to switch from free-choice hay-feeding to limit-feeding. It worked so well that we've continued it as our normal winter feeding regimen.
Cows have access to the hay feeders for about an hour and fifteen minutes - this allows them to eat about 10#/hd; then, they go out to 10-12#/hd of modified distiller's grain product(50%moisture, 15% protein, 3.5% fat). They want more, but that is enough for them to hold condition - and they've come through the past two winters in far, far better condition than they ever did before when they had all the crappy local (overmature at harvest) hay they could eat. They 'want' more - but eventually they get back out and pick through the pastures for what they can find.
As I get my pastures back into shape after the devastation of 2007, and can stockpile sufficient fescue, I can probably cut back on the amount of hay and DDG fed.
I just wanted to correct your nutrient analysis numbers. Modified is 50% dry matter but the protein is usually 26-32% and fat around 11-16% on a dry matter basis.

Since you are feeding nursing cows & replacement heifers, you need a litte more protein than a dry cow. I would not buy any fancy mixed feed. Whole shell corn, and maybe some protein pellets mixed to make a 12% ration should be great, if you decide to feed grain suppliment.
But,if you can feed good quality hay (at least 12% protein), that is all they need.
Limit feeding hay for dry cows has proven to be extremely cost affective. Not sure you should try that with nursing cows.
If you feed hay, the hay needs to be put in a feeder so they don't waste all of it.

I would stick with the hay as long as it is adequate nutritionally. Our cows eat nothing but grass in the summer, hay in the winter, and they are just as healthy as can be-and they look it. Make sure you use a feeder or headgates because if not they waste so much of it it will drive you nuts. I think I read that they waste 50% if they are just fed a bale on the ground. It is also a pain to clean up. I would think it would be less labor for you too, and they will spend more time eating if they have hay and less time getting into trouble :p

Latest posts