Grain Pellets and deer

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
I bought a trailer full of grain this week for fattening up a cow and was wanting to use small amounts of it to get deer in front of my trail cam, but the problem is the grain has pellets in it, I think they have to do with stopping from bloating a cow but I can't remember exactly what they told me about them, but they said not to feed grain with them in them to sheep or goats, so would deer be okay eating them, or do you think it would hurt the deer at all?

DitchBank":1lhwhipk said:
I bought a trailer full of grain this week for fattening up a cow and was wanting to use small amounts of it to get deer in front of my trail cam, but the problem is the grain has pellets in it, I think they have to do with stopping from bloating a cow but I can't remember exactly what they told me about them, but they said not to feed grain with them in them to sheep or goats, so would deer be okay eating them, or do you think it would hurt the deer at all?

Well ALX maybe you won't but I will.

Ditchbank why don't you contact your local Wildlife officer and ask them what they think. I'm sure if you gave them your EXACT location they would be happy to stop by and help you with your dilema. :dunce: :nod:

DitchBank":1a7kzvro said:

Ask the folks you bought this stuff from "WHY" you shouldn't feed it to goats and sheep...What's in it, etc.? I'd certainly want to know otherwise I don't know if I'd even feed it to a cow. You didnt' get any kind of tag with it describing the pellets?

3waycross":5j73nbgn said:
[quoteWell ALX maybe you won't but I will.

Well, if you insist!

Here's a few of the one liners I was considering.

1. - "Take a quarter cup or so of them pellets and sprinkle them on your childrens breakfast cereal. If they are still kickin at the end of the day the pellets shouldn't hurt anything in the woods"!

2. - "Those danged wild turkeys are way too hard to hunt. Poisoning them is a lot easier"!!

3. -" Now that we got that silly BSE dealt with we can go back to good old "mystery feed"!

4. - "If your cow starts a cluckin and a scratchin in the yard and growing pin feathers, you will know it was chicken feed!"

5. - "For the love of God, make sure it isn't rice!!!"

Want me keep going?? :lol2:

3waycross":z1q31jwb said:
Please..........don't stop now. I think you're on a roll :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Well I would 3 way except for a few things, the first is I've been there. Ask for 6 tons of whole corn and tell them to blow it on top of the auger this time!!! Get home to find it nicely centered on the auger but it looks like some one has sprinkled it with feed pellets. So I go phone them and ask what the heck are they doing?? Apparently they had pellets on a previous load and maybe the truck wasn't cleaned out as well. They tell me not to worry as they were the same pellets I normally use.

Well you guys know me. I told them I had marketed this group of steers as antibiotics free, and could they come get this stuff out of my bin. After some silence and some stuttering I let them off the hook and told them I was marketing this group as usual but when I order corn that is all I wanted.

There wouldn't have been 50 lbs in the whole 6 tons but it was the principle. I don't think the feed companies paid enough of the price of BSE and crap like this pees me off.

And DitchBank came and asked, gotta respect that. Hopefully he will find out what the pellets contained and act accordingly.

We all have to be dilligent what we feed our cattle, lots of eyes are on us. And a lot of them ain't friendly.

AngusLimoX":3yndjk6w said:
3waycross":3yndjk6w said:
Please..........don't stop now. I think you're on a roll :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Well I would 3 way except for a few things, the first is I've been there. Ask for 6 tons of whole corn and tell them to blow it on top of the auger this time!!! Get home to find it nicely centered on the auger but it looks like some one has sprinkled it with feed pellets. So I go phone them and ask what the heck are they doing?? Apparently they had pellets on a previous load and maybe the truck wasn't cleaned out as well. They tell me not to worry as they were the same pellets I normally use.

Well you guys know me. I told them I had marketed this group of steers as antibiotics free, and could they come get this stuff out of my bin. After some silence and some stuttering I let them off the hook and told them I was marketing this group as usual but when I order corn that is all I wanted.

There wouldn't have been 50 lbs in the whole 6 tons but it was the principle. I don't think the feed companies paid enough of the price of BSE and crap like this pees me off.

And DitchBank came and asked, gotta respect that. Hopefully he will find out what the pellets contained and act accordingly.

We all have to be dilligent what we feed our cattle, lots of eyes are on us. And a lot of them ain't friendly.

Try getting a semi load of custom blended quail feed just after the checkerboard boys run a batch of medicated chicken feed and see what that will do to 3 rather large houses of quail?

Jogeephus":jdhnqfdc said:
Try getting a semi load of custom blended quail feed just after the checkerboard boys run a batch of medicated chicken feed and see what that will do to 3 rather large houses of quail?

Jeepers Jogee, not %100 loss ??

AngusLimoX":33lhlfth said:
Jogeephus":33lhlfth said:

Absolutely. My boss, lost every one of them AND could no longer raise quail in the houses unless the dirt was removed and they were completely sanitized of course they were blameless.

Jogeephus":2au867kj said:
AngusLimoX":2au867kj said:
Jogeephus":2au867kj said:

Absolutely. My boss, lost every one of them AND could no longer raise quail in the houses unless the dirt was removed and they were completely sanitized of course they were blameless.

Did you ever find what meds were in the chicken feed that was previously run.??

Latest posts