grain or grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Actually I like a combination of both- I usually butcher heifers that have been on grass all summer and test open in the fall (Oct.) Then I will put them on grain for a couple of months before I butcher them. I like well marbled beef.

Oldtimer":3h8bha07 said:
Actually I like a combination of both- I usually butcher heifers that have been on grass all summer and test open in the fall (Oct.) Then I will put them on grain for a couple of months before I butcher them. I like well marbled beef.

I have to agree with you. Personally I like my beef to come off an older
animal. Preferably 26 to 30 months. Let them mature on grass and or other roughage, then finish on a high energy ration. Gets back to the
taste of when I was a boy. A lot different from the fast finished beef of today. Some being just long yearlings. They may be marbled, but the maturity is not there. There is a big difference in the over all taste.

Ignorance is bliss. Does it occur to you that corn is bad for cattle/humans? We and cattle are not genetically altered to eat corn. That is my opinion (although there are hard facts behind all this). I'll stick with our smart ancestors done for years...raise cattle on grass from birth to butcher 100 percent natural (and healthy) beef. Now I am sure I start an expected heat argument. Oh well.....I will keep praising this until people come to realize or turn on the lightbulb above their head. Bye.

Oregonian":v0h7w71p said:
Ignorance is bliss. Does it occur to you that corn is bad for cattle/humans? We and cattle are not genetically altered to eat corn. That is my opinion (although there are hard facts behind all this). I'll stick with our smart ancestors done for years...raise cattle on grass from birth to butcher 100 percent natural (and healthy) beef. Now I am sure I start an expected heat argument. Oh well.....I will keep praising this until people come to realize or turn on the lightbulb above their head. Bye.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But humans are omnivoires. We're designed to eat plants and meat. Corn is only one of many plants that humans and cattle can both eat safely. You're not the first person to come on this board and try to tell everyone they're stupid to be raising high quality grain fed beef. There's a market for grass finished beef and if you are into it, good for you. But most ranchers can sell two calf crops before they can finish one crop on grass. That's a considerable difference in income. Plus you can run more cattle on that grass if you sell calves at weaning.

Latest posts