Grain finished vs. Grass finished

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
It's my understanding that graining promotes marbling of the meat, therefore, it's increasing the fat content of the beef? If that's the case, grass finished beef is a leaner beef? Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks.

Bestoutwest":z5nluqiw said:
It's my understanding that graining promotes marbling of the meat, therefore, it's increasing the fat content of the beef? If that's the case, grass finished beef is a leaner beef? Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks.

Sounds logical.....next..........

Grass finished beef is generally more lean that grain finished beef. However, there are some breeds of cattle that will marble phenomenally on grass alone. The bone-in ribeye below was from a steer that was butchered at 2 years of age. He was grazing our pastures without a lick of grain. The steaks from our Murray Greys are extremely tender and well marbled even.
IMG_2065_zpsb192df74.jpg

Age has some effect on how lean the beef is. A 8 year old cow might have more fat on her than a steer, but the steer will have the fat dispersed more appropriately throughout his body rather than primarily on the hips.

Bestoutwest":35b0qdc5 said:
Follow up, does age have anything to do with how lean the beef is?

Thanks

Yes.

Lots of factors ... age ... sex ... quality of grazing ... environmental pressures / illnesses ... etc ...

Generally speaking, easy going animals gain better than high-strung animals regardless of what they're fed.

And, as BBR suggested, some breeds are known for doing well on a grass-only system. Murray Greys are one of those breeds. Aubracs are another.

as for taste , i dont want any grass fed beef , I grew up eating grass fed beef, and know that I make the decisions , my beef will be grain fed.

polledbull":1fbql0hp said:
as for taste , i dont want any grass fed beef , I grew up eating grass fed beef, and know that I make the decisions , my beef will be grain fed.

Not all grass-fed beef is the same.

We run numerous blind taste-tests here where we and our beef buyers sample grain and grass fed beeves ... and the quality of both can really be all over the place. While it may be more difficult to get a top-notch grass-fed steak, the best grass-fed steaks will outperform the best grain-fed steaks ... but ... the worst grass-fed steak is oftentimes much worse than the worst grain-fed steak. Or, that is what our research here indicates.

Bestoutwest":26fqjecb said:

Thanks.

In a nutshell without all the "variables", yes, grain finished marbles better then grass finished. We like grain finished, we grain for 90 to 100 days, hang for 16 or so days. Very tender and ....... You know. I don't care as much for grass finished, but will eat it. :D

In my opinion Americans are getting fatter and lazier by the day. It is getting to the point that they don't even want to chew their food. Of course they are going to want the fattiest steaks that slide right down their throats. Same goes for chicken. Talk to an older person about the way chicken used to be and they'll tell you you used to have to chew your chicken and there was actually some flavor. However there are also some health conscious and educated consumers who understand and appreciate the way cattle (and chicken) taste when raised naturally as they were before human intervention. These consumers are willing to pay a premium and they are who I cater to.

Bestoutwest":cd4o7ff8 said:

Thanks.

Maturity and nutrition promote marbling in meat. As well as genetics. A beef that converts food to energy well will have left over energy that stores as fat. Marbling.
A beef that does not convert as well or metabolizes energy too quickly will not store fat. Nor if they are starved. They are leaner.
Some genetics convert grain better, some convert grass sufficiently to store fat.
There are supposed differences in grain fed fat, and grass fed fat.
Grass fed cattle taste better on grass, grain fed cattle taste better on grain.
But above all,
"BEEF" . "It's What's For Dinner" ;-) :nod: