Grain finish mixtures

Help Support CattleToday:

Montanaidiot

Reaction score
So I'm on 3rd year of finishing steers and really trying to dial in my costs and not lose so much money :)

I have been using a store bought finisher in 50lb bags. But they are expensive so I'm thinking next year I will go another route.

What does everyone use to finish? I really only have access to places like tractor supply ect. But they don't really sell straight grain. They have sweet feed and corn. Maybe I need to find some more places I can buy what I need.

Thanks for any advice

So I'm on 3rd year of finishing steers and really trying to dial in my costs and not lose so much money :)

I have been using a store bought finisher in 50lb bags. But they are expensive so I'm thinking next year I will go another route.

What does everyone use to finish? I really only have access to places like tractor supply ect. But they don't really sell straight grain. They have sweet feed and corn. Maybe I need to find some more places I can buy what I need.

Thanks for any advice
There's not a mill or bulk supply near you?

Thanks for any advice
The thread directly below this one titled
"Graining one" has lots of useful info in it! As well as finished product pictures.

Then there's this one too...

Last edited:
I would try to buy cracked corn in 1500-1600# totes. Can haul one in a pickup or several on a flatbed trailer. Way cheaper than buying retail 50-pound sacks.
Better yet, just use Whole Shelled Corn, it is cheaper and is just as digestible as cracked. @Jeanne - Simme Valley convinced me.

If you use a tote or a "super sack" make sure you have a place to keep the varmints out of it. You could also just hook up a gravity wagon ( they make small covered ones) and take it to the supplier to be filled and then bring it home.

Last edited:

Thanks for any advice
Right now I buy a 3 way mix from a feedlot near me, 50% hominy, 25% ddg, 25% rice bran, 16% protein 9% fat. $340/ton or $9/ 50 lb bag. Before that I bought from a mill and fed a 3 way mix of 50% cracked corn, 25% corn gluten, 25% ddg. I wouldn't recommend finishing with sweet feed, I've always been told that the molasses will give the meat an off taste, never tried it though. As mentioned above, straight whole shelled corn is fine to finish on.

Right now I buy a 3 way mix from a feedlot near me, 50% hominy, 25% ddg, 25% rice bran, 16% protein 9% fat. $340/ton or $9/ 50 lb bag. Before that I bought from a mill and fed a 3 way mix of 50% cracked corn, 25% corn gluten, 25% ddg. I wouldn't recommend finishing with sweet feed, I've always been told that the molasses will give the meat an off taste, never tried it though. As mentioned above, straight whole shelled corn is fine to finish on.
There is a feedlot in the next tow. Over. Maybe I can give them and call and see if they will sell me something. Sounds like just corn tho from what everyone is saying. What about straight grain?

I would try to buy cracked corn in 1500-1600# totes. Can haul one in a pickup or several on a flatbed trailer. Way cheaper than buying retail 50-pound sacks.
So just cracked corn? Nothing else I. It? How many lbs a day to start and max?

Well I give them a little cake every other day all summer then about 3 months or so out I start them on finisher daily and slowly increase it.
The bag says max of 10lbs per animal a day so I try to build up close to that by the end

Here is what we are doing right now. 10 lbs of cracked corn and 10 lbs of 12% creep. Added about a pound of cotton seed mill which is about 30% protein. Slowly built them up to this over four months. We are taking out the cotton seed mill now as we have two months left to butcher and slowly adding more corn and less creep feed. Should turn out good and the extra protein really helped them grow. 9E925D0C-14D7-4BB5-8E67-C77058396120.jpeg652A58A4-6514-41EF-BB52-061F5A604B28.jpegPictures don't really do them justice.

Are you satisfied with your marbling?
O ya I have been very happy some are probably a little over finished. A hereford I did one year could hardly walk they were so fat. The ones I did last year were half wagu half black Angus so I finished them for a little over 4 months and they turned out awesome.

Attachments

• 20210505_184933.jpg
    20210505_184933.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210207_151517.jpg
    20210207_151517.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210307_173509.jpg
    20210307_173509.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20220116_084437.jpg
    20220116_084437.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Here is what we are doing right now. 10 lbs of cracked corn and 10 lbs of 12% creep. Added about a pound of cotton seed mill which is about 30% protein. Slowly built them up to this over four months. We are taking out the cotton seed mill now as we have two months left to butcher and slowly adding more corn and less creep feed. Should turn out good and the extra protein really helped them grow. View attachment 23419View attachment 23420Pictures don't really do them justice.
They look good :) I don't get much cotton seed up north here.

Latest posts