Grain bin panels for a tub

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Not recently, but over the years, I've had 1000 bushel grain bins offered to me just to get them out of the way. Could the panels be fashioned in to a usable tub? Seems like if you set your post on the outside, and had them close enough, it just might work. Be a lot of work, if one of my mean girls decided to go through.

Split pipe (or similar) for the top and rig a walk way around the outside . Make gate so it will not back up until YOU release it.
Stay out of the tub when in use, (little guys excepted) Or just buy one ready to go

I think it would work good. Iam rebuilding my alley way. Using post every 4 ft and making it 6 ft tall I bought a bunch of 2x8 s from someone on Craigslist cheap. . My cows sure like to jump 🙄

Yes it will work. The hardest part is getting the crowd gate post centered and making the hinges so they can pivot more than 180 degrees. If you have a full tub.
You can torch holes in the bin and make a dead bolt style latch on the gate.

Wel.......I scored one. "Hope" to get the project mostly completed while the kids are off for Christmas. Wish me luck.

Was considering using custom building a gate. Now I'm leaning towards a bull gate covers in belting. Thoughts? Definitely easier replaced when it gets squashed than a custom fab.

Material looks to come in at around $500 for that.
See if you can find some steel at the junk yard. I get 2x2 seconds for around $0.65/lb. Compared to $8 a ft. for new.
$500 for a gate is a lot. Depending on how much you plan to use your tub it's probably to much. However if you plan on using it a lot and have cattle that can get nervous when they are worked it might be worth it. I would hate to be half way through working cows and have to replace the crowd gate because some not so nice cow customized it.

Tearing out a bud box to build this. Charbrays and brafords aren't manageable in it. Their calves are, but they're not.
I agree. I never have any problems with working calves through a Bud box but my cows are a different story. Most will go through just fine but a handful of them are a pain . And it seems the more the cows go through the more they refuse to.

I made one a couple years ago out of a grain bin. Works great. Also straightened some of the pieces out and used them as kick panels on panels I made out of 1 1/2 square tubing. This is best photo I have while in process of making it. Can try to take a few more if interested. I set center post and gate first and then set post for tub. 4AE2D21D-59E6-4783-8501-2F0802159756.jpeg

I made one a couple years ago out of a grain bin. Works great. Also straightened some of the pieces out and used them as kick panels on panels I made out of 1 1/2 square tubing. This is best photo I have while in process of making it. Can try to take a few more if interested. I set center post and gate first and then set post for tub. View attachment 1178
That's an awesome job there!

I made one a couple years ago out of a grain bin. Works great. Also straightened some of the pieces out and used them as kick panels on panels I made out of 1 1/2 square tubing. This is best photo I have while in process of making it. Can try to take a few more if interested. I set center post and gate first and then set post for tub. View attachment 1178
My concern is getting the gate strong enough. If one challenges the panels, I'll have more panels. The gate gets destroyed, that'll be a lot of work to replace.

Yes. I extended the gate post on up and put braces out to the exterior post. It has really been tested several times (more cows put in than should be) and has held up great. Panels are tougher than you'd think. Gate post is roughly 4 inch pipe and found pipe that fit pretty tight over it for hinges. It has about 300 degrees of motion. I'll try to remember to get a few more pictures in the next day or two.

Definitely do as dwa mentioned and put your center gate up first. That makes it so much easier to lay everything out. As long as your gate is tall like his is and sheeted, you can get by with lighter material. The sheeting if its heavy enough will spread the the load from a blow from a cows rear end. I would think 3/16" material would be plenty strong enough. TS 2 x 2 x.120 is very strong and what my pens are made of. The tub is an old powder river set up and I know it's about the same thickness as bull gates. Its lightweight but well made and works very well. It has a spring latching system.

My last farm had a tub with the gate made of 2 1/2" standard pipe covered in 1/8 plate. I hated it. It was heavy and hard to move and would sag some no matter what you did. The previous owner put a turnbuckle and chain on it to try to keep it level but the soil would let it move when it got real wet or real dry. It made for a long day swinging that thing around to work 100 animals.

Here are some more pictures I took. I bought all the tubing. Had less than a hundred dollars in gate/alley panels I made. Rest of stuff I used came from a few guys scrap piles.
I let the grain bin panels overlap where gate stops are on the tub. Put some 3/4 round bar around the top on grain bin panels. Stops are 3/4 pipe welded onto 2inch flat bar. Welded on and run a bolt through top just to make me feel better.

Attachments

• DEEBBC46-F2B7-44F6-B645-DB0E67BBBE6C.jpeg
    DEEBBC46-F2B7-44F6-B645-DB0E67BBBE6C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 70EF352E-7D02-4050-B23C-F4DA08320532.jpeg
    70EF352E-7D02-4050-B23C-F4DA08320532.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 8FC5789A-32A8-45B6-BA6A-B5B2E63F962F.jpeg
    8FC5789A-32A8-45B6-BA6A-B5B2E63F962F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 61A434B5-EBA3-427F-9A3A-DD625365F14D.jpeg
    61A434B5-EBA3-427F-9A3A-DD625365F14D.jpeg