Graham School for Cattlemen

Help Support CattleToday:

Mallen23

Reaction score
Anyone on here attended the Graham School for Cattlemen in Kansas? I found the website while looking on the cattlerange website. What did you think about the school if you attended? Thanks.

I went quite a few years ago. It was a good experience. They don't just teach you to breed cows, you also get preg checking, anatomy, physiology, nutrition,etc. It's a busy week to get it all in, but I'd do it again tomorrow.

My husband and I attended in 1998 - we both really enjoyed it. Learned a lot - classes are kept to a max of 10 people so lots of one on one attention. Spent a lot of time with our arms in cows. We weren't really interested in AI at the time, and no one else in the class was either, so we just went over the high spots on that. But spent a lot of time preg checking, anatomy, cattle illnesses, etc. Well worth the money and time, plus getting to make friends from all over. Another perk is that you can go back anytime for a refresher at no charge as long as they have room in the class.

I went in 1990. It is the best of all the schools i have heard of. They offer a life time re schooling. I went back in 1999 for a refresher course on A iIing and preg checking. The secound time there is no charge. I don't think you can bet that. Hope this help and good luck.

I attended and thought it was worth every penny.

I went in 1996 and thought is was worth ever $ spent. We learned alot on everyday vet work that we can do without hiring an actual vet. The only problem I had was trying to remember all they taught us, since they fit so much in, in only a few days.

Just visited their web site. Thanks for posting the link. They are only 45 minutes away from me. As just a beginner, do you think it would be over my head?

Jerry

Absolutley not. If you are serious about this, they teach alot of things you need to know about the health end. Somethings were over my head, and I have been around it all my life. But I would reccomend it to anyone.

Are they the ones that sneer at small farmers? Someone mentioned a school they had attended where that was the case. Don;t recall which school it was.

dun

dun":2i8y9odr said:
Are they the ones that sneer at small farmers? Someone mentioned a school they had attended where that was the case. Don;t recall which school it was.

dun

I was kinda hoping someone would answer this question.

3MR":276nnwn9 said:
dun":276nnwn9 said:

dun

I was kinda hoping someone would answer this question.
I don't think it's how big you are but your operating methods.
I found them to be quite opinionated. Ran up against some
bluff and bellowing when asked the question how much do you invest in a bull. They are big about the bull being 50% of the calf crop. That idea is concurred with here. But quaility and price can be two different things. I got some chidding when they found out I only paid $650 for the bull I was using at the time. A registered embryo transplant calf. But because I didn't pay 2-3 thousand it couldn't be worth having??? give me a break. But I would be the skeptic if someone told me this also.
So dun if they're the ones, it wasn't an attitude I encountered.

I enjoyed the school very much. It was very informative. I went last July. I haven't been able to AI anything on my own as I don't have facilities (rent my pasture) and I'm not asking the fella where I rent to have a pasture next to the barn so I can run them in (I'm just not asking for special favors as I don't want to be beholden to anyone). I've said to the honey that after we get our own place and get facilities I'd like for both of us to go so that we can AI our own and perhaps others. I'll get mine for free and will have to pay for the honey.

One of the instructors (the one who owns the 400 limos) told the class that anyone who had less than 100 head shouldn't be in the business. His reason was that their was strength in numbers and therefore the larger producers could hold out to get higher prices (as he said, farm machinery isn't sold by high bidder, nor is grain and all the other things involved with cattle, but yet we're all selling stock by bid). My answer to him was that not all of us inherited land, money or have that extra high paying job so that we could afford to have that many. It never became an argument or anything of the sort. He stated his opinion and I stated mine.

There were 20 in my class... 4 from the stockyards, 6 or 8 from ranches where they were employed, 2 or 3 amish guys who ran a dairy, 2 dairy workers, 1 attorney, 3 young teenage boys that were local.

MoGal":1eryy4sq said:
One of the instructors (the one who owns the 400 limos) told the class that anyone who had less than 100 head shouldn't be in the business. His reason was that their was strength in numbers and therefore the larger producers could hold out to get higher prices (as he said, farm machinery isn't sold by high bidder, nor is grain and all the other things involved with cattle, but yet we're all selling stock by bid).

That is totally ignoring the existence of coops and networks and is just idiotic. Thats the same as saying a store shuldnt be in business unless they have 50 or 60 chain stores.

Latest posts