Grafting calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Francois

Reaction score
Heifer lost calf eary Sunday morning and will not be able to get a calf to graft until Wednesday. I have never did it this late before will it work?

I never recommend splicing a calf on from another farm - for disease reasons.
BUT, if you are set on doing that, you have to milk out the cow everyday, should be 2x a day. Or she will start drying up. Also, her bag would be so sore, she would really give you a hard time letting a calf suck.

i had a heifer take a calf 5 days after hers died. it was nothing i did she just wanted it. she raised it and bred back, it was just luck. :clap: :banana: another one i tried by putting them in the head gate twice a day everyday and she never did want that calf. :mad: :cry:

couple of years ago had a cow calf (dead twins) on a Friday night/Saturday morning. Soonest we could get to a sale was Tues..bought a calf that afternoon...put it with her around 5/6 pm that evening..she still had milk. Took a day or two for her to accept it. She raised the calf and her milk was fine. That calf now is due with her 3 calf in April. donna

You guys got me to thinking I might give it a try this Wednesday but we are in the middle of a snow/ice storm and there may not be any calves to be had tomorrow. Anyway thanks for the comments.

I'm not big on buying or bringing in calves when calving. The impact could be disasterous just because of disease and drug costs.
If you are going to do it, make sure from a farm not sale barn and make sure it had colostrum from the mother or other source within 24 hours of birth.
Still not my cuppa tea though