Grafting and scouring questions

Help Support CattleToday:

nifrost

Reaction score
First, let me say thank you for all the knowledge that you've shared since I first found this forum 2 years ago. I've always been able to search and find the answers I need up until now...so I'm creating my first post in hopes that you can provide some insight. I have a 2-3 yr old first calf heifer that lost her calf last saturday night. Two days later, I was able to purchase a 4 day old holstein bull calf to try to graft onto her. After 2 days of catching her in a headgate, feeding her creep feed and allowing the calf to suck, the pair progressed to where I didn't have to use the headgate at all...... I just fed her, and the calf went to sucking....... no resistance from the cow at all. On the second day of this, the calf began to scour. I didn't think this was too serious, as I thought it was due to the calf coming off the replacer milk that he was on and coming back to a cow's natural, rich milk. I did, however, begin giving terramycin every 12 hours just in case it was bacterial related. Now, 4 days later, the calf is still scouring and the terramycin hasn't seemed to help at all. The scours aren't getting any firmer either. I need to discontinue the terramycin per the label, but don't know what to do next. The calf doesn't show any signs of dehydration: the skin doesn't "tent", eyes are clear and bright, ears are up, nose is dry. Today I even watched him jump and chase some flying insects, so I think he's feeling alright. I'm feeding the cow creep feed twice a day, and am watching the calf suck for 15-20 mins each time I feed. I'm also keeping fresh water and hay in front of them at all times. I'd appreciate any experiences/input/ideas that anyone feels like sharing.

I would stop giveing the cow grain until it clears up.I don't think the la200 is going to treat the scours,but could help in preventing a secondary infection.albon or terramyacine scour tabblets might help.It seems like it takes a few days for the scours to run it's course so I would just make sure he's still eating well and isn't dehydrated.After treating young calves I like to give them a slug of probios to put some good things back in that the med's might kill.

Dun & Eat Beef, thanks for the response. I've discontinued all the creep feed (it's not grain--its in 3/8" pellet form) and am going to the feed store to get some septra boluses. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Latest posts