Grafting a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Wow I've never had it take more than a few days. I've only been defeated 2x, by the same cow (my mistake keeping her), she's long gone now. If the calf dies soon after birth or its DOA it's generally easy. If the cow had the calf a couple days + then I always skin. Old cows harder than young, quiet cows easier than touchy ones in my experience.

how long did it take before your cow gave in? I have one here that I put a calf on her a few days after she lost hers and I didn't bother with skinning her old calf she didn't seem to care for it anyways. A week of locking her up twice a day to let calf feed and it's getting to be an old chore. Maybe put hobbles on her soon. Don't wanna give up on it yet. If this goes on another week though I might have to accept defeat
It took around 3 weeks before she finally seemed to relent and let the poor calf latch on without grain or threats from me. I really was surprised because overall she is super easy going and docile. She seems pretty devoted to him now at least.

@Dave at the price the small calves are bringing, that is what I would do. Saw some 3 wts bring over 2.00 /lb last week. People and prices are nuts.... The small stuff is really high. I just sole 4 weaned bull calves - jer/hol /angus crossed... probably 275 -300 for $425 each and the guy came and cut them himself because he did not want them banded....handed me an envelope with cash.... wish we had some more to sell but I think we are about done. Do have a couple on some old cull cows we might split off and sell though....was going to give them the summer on pasture, but might just be better to ship now.

Have grafted three this year with the hide. Overnight and the hide comes off. Graft completed.
20190323_195108.jpg
Not my greatest work but it did the job. Haven't had to do this yet this year but that can change.

My hat's off to those of you sticking with it for weeks. I can't imagine going to the trouble of running a cow in multiple times a day for more than a few days. Stubborn cows are the worst.

View attachment 3902
Not my greatest work but it did the job. Haven't had to do this yet this year but that can change.

My hat's off to those of you sticking with it for weeks. I can't imagine going to the trouble of running a cow in multiple times a day for more than a few days. Stubborn cows are the worst.
If you take suggestions...... we always skin so nothing of the foster calf's butt shows. A string from flank to bum between legs to other flank keeps in place.

View attachment 3902

Mine live in the pen until they come to terms with the fact that I will win....
😊

If you take suggestions...... we always skin so nothing of the foster calf's butt shows. A string from flank to bum between legs to other flank keeps in place.
I make sure to leave the tail on the hide too. I don't use string, I cut slits in the hide and put the calf's legs through the slits.

We grafted one yesterday on a cow that lost her calf four days ago. They look to be a happy pair this morning.

Most usually work out here but this pair I'm dealing with now the cow is gonna get hobbles today. Never used them before. See how things turn out.

Mine live in the pen until they come to terms with the fact that I will win....
😊
Depending how busy calving is and also the weather pen space can be a premium, time even more. If the cow isn't grain crazed it gets harder and harder to get them to stick their head that last little bit to lock the headgate too, lol. I actually find a nice long bag hardening time spent away from any calves helps sometimes rather than hours spent stubbornly hating one.

If you want a calf, I can help with that. I'll do my best to confuse and confound so it starts to get fuzzy wether or not this calf is THE calf. Cow has to do her part in a couple days or become hamburger, I don't have 2 weeks but I respect someone's commitment trying that long. It's a great feeling when a cow that needs a calf and a calf that needs a cow walk off into the pasture together.

I just give a quarter cc of Rompun to the cow and let the calf get her sucked out if the calf is aggressive enough this alone does the trick in one shot sometimes takes a 2nd shot and have had a couple cows on rare occasion take more than the 2 times