Grafting a calf onto a heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
We had a heifer lose her calf and are trying to put another calf on her. It looks pretty funny cause we got a holstein heifer for $100 and the new mom is a char/ red angus cross and is a dark golden colour. But anyways I was having to put the heifer in the squeeze to let the baby suck. We are now at the point where I can stand there and she pretty much lets the calf suck but hasn't accepted her yet. We put the skin of her calf that died on her but she was not interested in that. So tonight I sprinkled salt on the baby and the mom licked her for about an hour. My question is- Does the heifer actually realize that she is also licking a calf when she is licking the salt? I put less than a small handful down her back. Doe she know this is a calf as well?
Thanks
PS the baby has been in with the momma since Monday night

Hunny Do Ranch":3mwh03ww said:
My question is- Does the heifer actually realize that she is also licking a calf when she is licking the salt? I put less than a small handful down her back. Doe she know this is a calf as well?
Thanks

Sure she realizes it, and she undoubtedly also knows it is a calf - smell would tell her that. The question should be 'does she care'? Probably not. You might also want to re-evaluate your salt and mineral program. A cow licking a 'small handful' for more than an hour would suggest to me that she is salt/mineral deficient.

Hunny Do Ranch":1k2pppm6 said:
She hasn't had salt for a few days. I feel bad about forgetting to give her salt in the barn but I thought it might be a good idea for her to like the calf that way.

It doesn't work that way - salt and mineral are vital, necessary elements of a cows health. To withhold those elements to try to get her to accept a calf is pure folly! Sure, she will lick the calf to get what she needs to maintain herself, but it doesn't mean she is accepting that calf. To believe it does, and turn them out into an uncontrolled environment is a damned good way to end up with a dead calf. You've got a 50/50 chance this cow will accept this calf - either she will, or she won't, but I would not turn them out until I knew without a shadow of a doubt that she had accepted him! Considering the fact that you've not given her salt in 'a few days', I would not take the face licking as any kind of hopeful sign - it probably just means that she was licking and hoping to find what she needed.

I didn't withhold it purposely. It has been crazy around here and I honestly forgot to put salt in with her.

I never said I was going to turn them out I am still going out every 3-4 hours to make sure the calf sucks.

I am not going to turn them out until I know that they have bonded and are going to be ok out in the field with the other mommas and babies.

The idea of putting something the cow likes on a calf molasses, oats or in this case salt is because the cow will get close enough to the calf to lick it and maternal instinct may kick in. Put some mineral in with the cow (if you haven't already done so) and if you want to use oats or something that she likes but is not necessary for her to be healthy. She hasn't killed it, lets it drink, hang in there, sounds like she'll proably take it. Patience can be a hard thing to have but it's necessary.

msscamp":3ty7jish said:
Hunny Do Ranch":3ty7jish said:
She hasn't had salt for a few days. I feel bad about forgetting to give her salt in the barn but I thought it might be a good idea for her to like the calf that way.

It doesn't work that way - salt and mineral are vital, necessary elements of a cows health. To withhold those elements to try to get her to accept a calf is pure folly! Sure, she will lick the calf to get what she needs to maintain herself, but it doesn't mean she is accepting that calf. To believe it does, and turn them out into an uncontrolled environment is a damned good way to end up with a dead calf. You've got a 50/50 chance this cow will accept this calf - either she will, or she won't, but I would not turn them out until I knew without a shadow of a doubt that she had accepted him! Considering the fact that you've not given her salt in 'a few days', I would not take the face licking as any kind of hopeful sign - it probably just means that she was licking and hoping to find what she needed.
Calm down, many cows have been without salt for a few days.

I would not be the least concerned about a cow going without "her salt" for a few days.
The fact that she licked the calf for 1 hour wasn't because she was STILL getting salt. She was enjoying it! Good sign.
Anything put on the calf to make her lick it is great. Hadn't thought about salt. Was a good idea.
Now, the only thing I see that is a potential problem - is disease brought in by this new calf. Just remember, that even tho this calf came from a good healthy farm & the calf is healthy, doesn't mean it isn't a potential problem. This calf has "bugs" that are not NORMAL for your herd. The grafted calf was born with immunities for the bugs that were on the other farm. Your next newborn calf (or calves already born) do NOT have an immunity for the "foreign" bugs on this grafted calf. Just be careful not to expose newborns to this calf for a while. It won't be the grafted calf that will get sick, it'll be YOUR calves.

Good points about health from Jeanne. I also wouldn't be concerned about a cow not having either salt OR minerals for a few days. As long as she has them the majority of the time she will be fine.

I also agree that this heifer didn't spend an hour licking the calf for a handful of salt. I would certainly watch them for a few more days before kicking them out, but you may have won the war. You might want to separate them for a few hours (so they can't see or smell each other). Just long enough for the calf to get hungry and for the heifers udder to tighten up a bit. When you put them back together, you will get a good idea whether she has accepted the calf or not. If she bawls for it while they are separated, then you are likely on your way. Good luck. You can also hobble the heifer, that way the calf can suck even if you aren't there. Have seen it happen many times where the cow would let the calf suck while you are standing there, but kick and bunt it as soon as you turn your back. Also seen calves associate you with food, and they wouldn't try to suck unless you are standing there. Just something to consider, if she still hasn't taken the calf.

Hunny Do Ranch":4p6q6je9 said:
We had a heifer lose her calf and are trying to put another calf on her. It looks pretty funny cause we got a holstein heifer for $100 and the new mom is a char/ red angus cross and is a dark golden colour. But anyways I was having to put the heifer in the squeeze to let the baby suck. We are now at the point where I can stand there and she pretty much lets the calf suck but hasn't accepted her yet. We put the skin of her calf that died on her but she was not interested in that. So tonight I sprinkled salt on the baby and the mom licked her for about an hour. My question is- Does the heifer actually realize that she is also licking a calf when she is licking the salt? I put less than a small handful down her back. Doe she know this is a calf as well?
Thanks
PS the baby has been in with the momma since Monday night

it took one of our cows 18 days to except a new one.but she is a brat!!!!!

make sure the calf is sucking, if the momma is letting her suck whenever turn them out. If she kicks at all keep them in the barn.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Well i went in there this morning at 6 AM after being out there the night before at 12 AM. So the calf hadn't sucked for 6 hours. When I got out there the calf was trying to suck but the heifer wan't exactly letting her. She wasn't being really mean. Just kinda pushed her out of the way a little. But not roughly. So hopefully the calf will get a little more aggressive with mom and try a bit more.

I already tried the molasses thing- all it did was get me sticky and the calf now has some dried molasses on her back, but the heifer did clean a bit of it off.

We will see. Hopefully she takes it soon.

Yes - our product is called O-No-Mo (used to be Orphan No More) Haven't used it in years, but it is good. Try to put some on the cows nose + on the calf. Mostly, you're just looking at TIME. Cow should take it. Sometimes it helps to bring a dog around. Really kicks in the "mothering" of the cow.

Yes - our product is called O-No-Mo (used to be Orphan No More) Haven't used it in years, but it is good. Try to put some on the cows nose + on the calf. Mostly, you're just looking at TIME. Cow should take it. Sometimes it helps to bring a dog around. Really kicks in the "mothering" of the cow.

Just wondering if it would be too late to use that product? She only stands and lets her nurse when I am there. She tried to kick her a bunch of times tonight.

She is really used to our dogs so I don't know if that will help but I will give it a try.

Hunny Do Ranch":2c53q09v said:
I didn't withhold it purposely. It has been crazy around here and I honestly forgot to put salt in with her.

I never said I was going to turn them out I am still going out every 3-4 hours to make sure the calf sucks.

I am not going to turn them out until I know that they have bonded and are going to be ok out in the field with the other mommas and babies.

My apologies, Hunny do, I completely mis-interpreted your post and I'm sorry. :oops:

auctionboy":dfoozscg said:
msscamp":dfoozscg said:
Hunny Do Ranch":dfoozscg said:

Calm down, many cows have been without salt for a few days.

I wasn't aware that I was upset. :? Thanks for telling me!

Latest posts