Grafted Twin

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Lost a calf the other day. He was coming tail first. At first the vet thought he was a twin because his head was laying along his right side.
We missed saving him by a couple of hours.
Cow had tried to claim a calf that was born to a different cow. So after we pulled the dead calf we grabbed one of the twins, rubbed him all over with some afterbirth, sprinkled on some Orphan No More and turned them together in a pen.
Checked them a few hours later, nothing. Got him up and started to nurse the cow, she kicked him off a couple of times. Much better yesterday and today looking better and better. :D

2009calves032.jpg

Sorry you lost the calf, but sometimes those twins work out just right. They look like a fine pair.

I've always thought the real bonding occurs when the new mom smells her own milk coming out of the back end of the calf. I think you're there.

a week or so ago we found a set of dead twin bulls.so found the cow that lost them.went an got a free hol bull calf.but her in the corral.fed her an put the calf on her.an after 2 or 3 days of making sure the calf sucked.she has completely taken the calf.still have her penned.getting ready to turn her out.

Checked the cows record and she weaned a 632# steer calf this last fall. Can hardly wait to see how much this little guy weights this fall.
Plan to AI her this spring.

Latest posts