Graduation gifts

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
The yearly barrage of grad parties and open houses has started here. I get invited to quite a few of these and it can empty the pocket book pretty quickly. The standard of cards with cash in them around here is ten bucks for the kid you don't really know, but you know their parents. If you know the kid pretty well it's 20 bucks. What do you folks in other areas give to kids when they graduate, presents? cash?

We have some pretty close friends who's son graduated last year. His plans are to go to Diesel Mechanics in the tech college up north. We got him a tool box with a set of beginning tools he would need his first year. (Hubby took the same course.)
He just got home last month from his first year and loves it.

This year we got an invite from people we just know, so we are going to give him $40.00

I like the idea of the toolboxes and bought a few for the boys I know well and who have helped me over the years. Others that I only know in passing aren't getting anything but my congratulations. My wife handles the girls dept. so I don't really know what she will be giving.

Actually, mine are based more on the "needs" of the family. Basic gratuity is $20 but can be more if someone really could use or deserves some help.

Our daughter graduated last year and only sent invitations to close friends and relatives. Seems some send them to anyone and everyone in hopes of more gifts. I have a cousin that did not get my daughter anything and this year a invitation is sent to my mom with our name on it. Just irks me sometimes the way people are, not a real close relationship with my cousin even though we own adjoining property, she always thought she was better than me and maybe she is. Guess I am the black sheep but why should I give her daughter something when mine got nothing?

We don't due things like that around here, only immediate family give gifts..Like grandma and aunts etc. and only if you are close relationship wise or if your best friends kids graduate. High school graduation is not really a big deal here, it is kind of a given. Uni and college are celebrated more.

However I have been asked to go to 4 different confirmations in the last month and I am not even Catholic and only one was someone that I am close to, my niece ..Very strange...

MistyMorning":31npilsm said:
The yearly barrage of grad parties and open houses has started here. I get invited to quite a few of these and it can empty the pocket book pretty quickly. The standard of cards with cash in them around here is ten bucks for the kid you don't really know, but you know their parents. If you know the kid pretty well it's 20 bucks. What do you folks in other areas give to kids when they graduate, presents? cash?
I was just thinking about this today as I have been invited to a few. One of the girls I know well, and she is going to college this fall. I was trying to think of something she could use in her dorm room. Thought about getting her a laundry basket, and a couple of bath towels with matching hand towel and wash cloth. For guys going off to school, tupperware type containers so they can bring back to school food from home. :lol2: I try to keep it around $20 too. Tell ya what though ~ ain't a dang thing wrong with $20 in a card.

I wouldn't turn away a 12 pk of diet coke and a pack of smokes since you are in the gift giving mood! ;-)

tom4018":3rd7nvxf said:
Our daughter graduated last year and only sent invitations to close friends and relatives. Seems some send them to anyone and everyone in hopes of more gifts. I have a cousin that did not get my daughter anything and this year a invitation is sent to my mom with our name on it. Just irks me sometimes the way people are, not a real close relationship with my cousin even though we own adjoining property, she always thought she was better than me and maybe she is. Guess I am the black sheep but why should I give her daughter something when mine got nothing?
Tom, This is something I've had to get used to over the last few years.Best thing to give a card expressing hopes the recepient will do well in their life ahead. Christmas and Birthdays are enough for out of pocket expenses.I keep trying to tell my Wife this but she keeps giving out cash. I remember graduating from high school and got nothing but an ATTABOY and went to work in a locomotive cab, walking mile long trains and throwing switches 2 weeks later. I think 30 years ago people kept things a little more restrained.

tom4018":nsofniob said:

Because you are better than her and because the last thing you want to be, is like her.

If a kid sends me an invitation that I don't know well I send $25, if a kid has worked for me $100, for nieces and nephews $500.

Larry

Graduation is a money maker for the little rascals. And... that's not a bad thing. I know that we receive them from neighbors, friends, and relatives. The children are going to college or trade school and it helps them get a start in life.

For those we know the parents, but not the kids, around $25.

For close friends kids, around $50.

For kinfolk, normally $100.00 or so.

I know that my sons received around $3000. each for graduation, so we just pay it back to the others. It helped them a lot.

larryshoat":1yi5pdn5 said:
tom4018":1yi5pdn5 said:

Because you are better than her and because the last thing you want to be, is like her.

If a kid sends me an invitation that I don't know well I send $25, if a kid has worked for me $100, for nieces and nephews $500.

Larry

Thats a good way to look at it Larry.

Oh by the way are you my long lost uncle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I give $25 or a shower caddy with towels, shampoo, razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc. Then I will put a cow tag on it with their name ground into it and the year they graduated (if they are cattle people).
For family I'll ask what they want or will give $50-$100.

angie":1jhb6sxc said:
I wouldn't turn away a 12 pk of diet coke and a pack of smokes since you are in the gift giving mood! ;-)

And just what are you hoping to trade the coke and smokes for from the prisoners???

tom4018":1tynfr9y said:
larryshoat":1tynfr9y said:

Larry

Thats a good way to look at it Larry.

Oh by the way are you my long lost uncle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me too Uncle Larry ,,I am sure I can find something around here to graduate from..How about cow poop 101 ? :lol2: :cowboy:

In our family we try to make it to the graduation for the nieces and nephews. I do not think we have missed any so far. As a matter of fact we are headed to Austin Texas tonight to go to the high school graduation of a nephew. Also we will give the graduate probably $25 in a card with no restrictions whatever they want to buy is fine. As for acquaintances we usually send a card and $!0-20. My wife is a teacher and I a former teacher so former students and their kids seem to invite us each year. It seems high school graduation is a big reception party around here now, but when I graduated high school and college it was just immediate family only that celebrated. Times change I guess.

We simply send along our congrats - welcoming them to the real world if graduating from college - all in a card - no gift or cash.

Then we do not go to any party unless they are truly special to us.

I am happy to give a handshake or a hug - but no one gave me anything when I graduated except "best wishes and work hard" - so that's what I tell the new grad.

If graduating from high school we do nothing - still a long way to go.

Bez+

larryshoat":1o1dc1yt said:
tom4018":1o1dc1yt said:

Larry

UNCLE LARRY!!!

Wow are some you folks generous!

Jalopy":3eyvre7s said:
My wife is a teacher and I a former teacher so former students and their kids seem to invite us each year. It seems high school graduation is a big reception party around here now, but when I graduated high school and college it was just immediate family only that celebrated. Times change I guess.

Exactly the same here Jalopy, BIG parties. We didn't have those when I graduated. It was like a lot of what others said, pat on the back, NOW GIT TO WORK!

hillsdown":3eyvre7s said:
Angie, I will pitch in for the 12pk diet coke but I draw the line at buying a young gal a pack of smokes.. :p

Oh, don't fret about buying those smokes for her HD, she isn't a young girl. :D

Latest posts