Grading question

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
I just got a check for a couple of the steers that I sold (still waiting to here back on the other one). They notated the grade of one as Prime 2-1. I've only ever seen Prime 1 or Prime 2. :help: Anyone else see this before?

FarmGirl10":25jyvt9r said:
I just got a check for a couple of the steers that I sold (still waiting to here back on the other one). They notated the grade of one as Prime 2-1. I've only ever seen Prime 1 or Prime 2. :help: Anyone else see this before?

How and where did you sell them?

I sell everything on the rail, and they went through a local stockyard. Where they go after that I'm not completely sure, but I know the holsteins (these weren't) go to Green Bay. Colored might go there too, but I'm not sure.

The one that I'm still waiting to hear back on, was the last of my Holsteins. He got shipped up to Green Bay then dressed beef and the stockyard called and said that the check for him would come at a later date because they haven't gotten his grade yet.

FarmGirl10":3ad8gucq said:
I sell everything on the rail, and they went through a local stockyard. Where they go after that I'm not completely sure, but I know the holsteins (these weren't) go to Green Bay. Colored might go there too, but I'm not sure.

The one that I'm still waiting to hear back on, was the last of my Holsteins. He got shipped up to Green Bay then dressed beef and the stockyard called and said that the check for him would come at a later date because they haven't gotten his grade yet.

Sorry but I'm a little confused. You take them to a local stockyard, they in turn send them to the packer, and the packer sends you a check with how they graded? Who pays the local stockyard and shipping to the packer?

Sorry, I will try to be more clear. I sell them to the stockyard, they in turn sell them to the packer. So I get the check from the stockyard. So they pay shipping and anything else.

Jovid":1wihssey said:
FarmGirl10":1wihssey said:

Sorry but I'm a little confused. You take them to a local stockyard, they in turn send them to the packer, and the packer sends you a check with how they graded? Who pays the local stockyard and shipping to the packer?

Local barn in Ohio was advertising railing direct to packers. You retain ownership of animal until he walks off truck and gets graded. Plus you pay $30 transportation. Sure didn't appeal to me. I know of 2 packers in PA and they are both on the East side of the state.

FarmGirl10":3fmuqmqx said:
Sorry, I will try to be more clear. I sell them to the stockyard, they in turn sell them to the packer. So I get the check from the stockyard. So they pay shipping and anything else.

So how does the packer know which animal is yours to send the stockyards something as to how it graded? The check came from the stockyards so are they the ones telling you how it graded.

Sorry just trying to figure out how two steers sold at a local stockyard are identified when they reach the packer to be graded.

Jovid":31c02eod said:
FarmGirl10":31c02eod said:

So how does the packer know which animal is yours to send the stockyards something as to how it graded? The check came from the stockyards so are they the ones telling you how it graded.

Sorry just trying to figure out how two steers sold at a local stockyard are identified when they reach the packer to be graded.
Usually by their EID ear tag that is applied at the stockyard.

What dun said. But if they are accidently screwing them up, I'm not the one getting screwed. :lol: So far I haven't had anything go under Choice.

and they are not deducting transportation out of your check? I thought about railing some of my cull bulls. They are spotted and have horns, thought I might take a beating in the ring. The things that scared me away were the fact I paid $30 to ship them, wonder if they break a leg during transport and can't walk off trailer, and how much would they shrink up before they got graded? Weighing my odds it seems railing is a bigger risk for just a few dollars. If you can make it make sense I'm open to listen.

Latest posts