Grade question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bignick50

Reaction score
Approximately what grade would a 850 pound steer grade out at the locker. He was small, but had to send him or lose a spot which are hard to come by these days in Oklahoma and Kansas. Was of grain for about 3-4 months. Sure not big enough for a whole lot of fat for marbling.

The half beef we bought last year was younger than should have been. I think hanging weight was less than 600 lbs. It was heavily grain fed for at least a few months. It just doesn't deposit fat well if they're too young.
I've been eating lean, overcooked steaks from that beef for a year now. It's just too hard to hit that window between raw and overcooked with lean beef! We fed out our own this year. Hanging weight was 928 lbs! Can't wait to pick it up next week!

Approximately what grade would a 850 pound steer grade out at the locker. He was small, but had to send him or lose a spot which are hard to come by these days in Oklahoma and Kansas. Was of grain for about 3-4 months. Sure not big enough for a whole lot of fat for marbling.

Alot has to do with frame size also, I've always heard a steer should finish at about what his mama's mature weight was or pretty close to it.

He will be a Yield Grade 1or2, and Quality Grade Select or no roll.

Quality takes time.
We just sent a 6 days to Tyson avg 1,485lbs. 1- yg2 choice str, 3- yg4 prime strs, 2- yg3 prime hfrs. These cattle were between 20-22mos old. They had been eating corn and silage since 600lbs.

The half beef we bought last year was younger than should have been. I think hanging weight was less than 600 lbs. It was heavily grain fed for at least a few months. It just doesn't deposit fat well if they're too young.
I've been eating lean, overcooked steaks from that beef for a year now. It's just too hard to hit that window between raw and overcooked with lean beef! We fed out our own this year. Hanging weight was 928 lbs! Can't wait to pick it up next

I've been eating lean, overcooked steaks from that beef for a year now. It's just too hard to hit that window between raw and overcooked with lean beef! We fed out our own this year. Hanging weight was 928 lbs! Can't wait to pick it up next week!
That would be mine also, the hanging weight was approximately 575 pounds, but had to use the date or lose it and maybe others down the line. Oh well.

Might keep trying to get a date with whichever plant you use or get on a call list. Several plants around here have been complaining that some appointments made last summer and fall are being cancelled at the last minute.

Latest posts