GPS tracking ear tags 👍🏽 Or 👎🏽

Help Support CattleToday:

Josher

Reaction score
Something I've been interested. There's some GPS tags coming out have a little solar panel on it and supposed to last 10 years. Updates location of your animals every 10 min I think. Would be real handy for having cattle in big pastures, rough country or where u have cattle rustlers. Not sure on cost yet. Here's a link. https://www.cerestag.com/ is it worth it?

Around here is livestock lens. They use UHF tags that can store data in their app. You can buy a scanner thing to put on your truck. Pull into the pasture, and you can start the scanner counting to see if all the cattle are there. The cattle have to be within maybe 100 ft of your truck. Then, I think your app can tell you which ones are missing.

No cell service... no worky. Could see it be useful if you are not onsite all the time.

Didnt see a price though.
Per the website - no cell service required. Ceres Tag use satellite service. As in Starlink, the broadband internet service from SpaceX.

Being trackable tags then at least you can find them again. I wondered if you could put them back on or when u sell an animal if u can take it off and keep the tags in your herd.

Being trackable tags then at least you can find them again. I wondered if you could put them back on or when u sell an animal if u can take it off and keep the tags in your herd.
The BLM allotment on the north side of me is over 10,000 acres of very rough ground. Just a couple two tracks running through it other wise it is horseback or on foot. A person would spend a lot of time looking for a lost tag. If they cost so much to make it worth the time and effort finding one, then they cost too much to start with.

I got to thinking the tracking collars that the wildlife people put on wolves seem to go dead in a year or two. You know they can afford better ones than any rancher can afford.

The BLM allotment on the north side of me is over 10,000 acres of very rough ground. Just a couple two tracks running through it other wise it is horseback or on foot. A person would spend a lot of time looking for a lost tag. If they cost so much to make it worth the time and effort finding one, then they cost too much to start with.
Sounds like a good place to put those tags on a couple animals in your herd to keep track of where the herd is at. That's why I was thinking of using these tags in first place. If it can save u a bit of time getting to where herd is than it's worth it. If it's not worth your time looking for lost tag than don't bother. I'm all about making better use of time.

I might be interested in putting them in my bulls. Those are the creatures that can get tough to find come fall in 20,000 acres of hills and thick brush when they decide to hole up.
The fact that they can recharge themselves is interesting, if they are reusable and affordable would be selling points as well.
I didn't see anything about cell service, only satellite.

My guess is that if they communicate by Satellite, then there will be a subscription fee that goes along with the cost of the tags. Also, this is an Australian Company so I am not certain it will be available worldwide.

Edit: I just read one of their documents in pdf and it says no subscription required. And that they will be available in Canada Silver.

Last edited:
So here's the link for the prices. https://www.cerestag.com/buy-ceres-tags/
I don't think I'll be getting them anytime soon. Little rich for my blood but I sure like the idea of being able to whip out your phone and see where your cattle are. Also it says 10 year battery but only 4 year satellite connectivity that'd be a deal breaker for me unless I'm misunderstanding something

Well I'm out lol. For that price I can hire an airplane every fall to look for strays.
Get yourself an ultralight! Neighbor has one, claims it's a ball! ... Getting motor work done on it right now...quit while he was in the air! Fortunately, he was able to glide to an unremarkable landing. Might be a little rougher landing up there where you are Dave!

Agersen's eShepherd is another option. Still too expensive though, IMO. Be nice to be able to muster your cattle home when you need to though, especially out there in your country (Dave/Silver/...)

These things are just beginning to hit the market, so you KNOW that the technology will get much better, AND much cheaper, once more companies get into it and it becomes commonplace. And your expensive "electronic surveillance system" will be completely obsolete and worthless almost as soon as you walk out the door with it.

https://agersens.com/

So here's the link for the prices. https://www.cerestag.com/buy-ceres-tags/
I don't think I'll be getting them anytime soon. Little rich for my blood but I sure like the idea of being able to whip out your phone and see where your cattle are. Also it says 10 year battery but only 4 year satellite connectivity that'd be a deal breaker for me unless I'm misunderstanding something

Dang, $4700 for a box of 24? $700 just for the applicator Over $195 a head isn't practical unless you run a huge operation and are also losing enough animals to justify the pro/cons to that price tag. Also wonder if there is some kind of subscription fee you have to pay to be able to use them or is that incorporated into the purchase cost as like anything with mobile technology there usually is some kind of monthly fee or subscription you have to pay on top of the device itself in order to use and maintain it. It sure is interesting technology and would be nice not to spend hours driving all over pastures or neighboring area trying to find a calf that is hiding in a hard to see place or a cow that got out but not at that price.

Dang, $4700 for a box of 24? $700 just for the applicator Over $195 a head isn't practical unless you run a huge operation and are also losing enough animals to justify the pro/cons to that price tag. Also wonder if there is some kind of subscription fee you have to pay to be able to use them or is that incorporated into the purchase cost as like anything with mobile technology there usually is some kind of monthly fee or subscription you have to pay on top of the device itself in order to use and maintain it. It sure is interesting technology and would be nice not to spend hours driving all over pastures or neighboring area trying to find a calf that is hiding in a hard to see place or a cow that got out but not at that price.
I don't think there's any added subscription. Just a one and done price but ya still too much for me. If I could just buy a few tags I would just to have one animal tagged in each herd or just the bulls. The 700 dollar applicator is excessive. Would make one myself but then I have enough projects to do.

Interesting. Wonder if we could set up a cow social media. To monitor all the cows. Like a cow book. We can check our cow look at them on a camera. Check the neighbors and everybody's. 😁😝🤡 Don't laugh cause that could be a billion dollar idea. Make it weird you can sell, buy, trade ect.