GPS for spraying and fert spreading?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjohn

Reaction score
Is anyone here using a GPS for pasture spraying, fertilizer spreading etc?

IF so, which one?

Do u like it? Is it hard to use? In other words does it make you tired trying to keep it lined up all day?

Southern states was doing it big here for a while. Kinda fell to the wayside I think cause I haven't seen it done much anymore.

I heard about his when I was takin' my private applicators course. Thought it was a neat idea but it's sure a long stretch from being a good idea and puttin' it to use in a practical sense.

Even the soil test people still recommend taking samples from several spots all over the field, throwing them all in a bag and mix them up before sending one sample. This gives an average of what the field needs, not a spot requirement. Doing the analysis one small plot at a time would get real expensive in a hurry.

Still a neat idea.

The GPS fertilizer application is generally useless without a GPS grain monitor on the combine, or at least knowing which areas that need different amounts of fertilizer.

The idea is to save fertilizer that is put down on ground that doesn't need it and to add fertilizer too the poorer soil to get a production boost.

Cheap, simple and much easier to use. buy the software and a $250 gps and load the software on your laptop. Birds eye view that is very easy to understand.

Scott

Latest posts