Government Subsidies

Help Support CattleToday:

Large sums of our tax money is wasted, and some get a bigger piece of the pie than others. However, we all benefit in some way from tax dollars, even those that do not receive direct subsidies.

I don't have a problem with the subsidies as long as they are not abused. I elect not to participate myself but do not care if others do. After all, do you think we could have had $2.00 corn for all these years without the subsidies?

Who is this EWI group and what is their agenda? Why pick on agriculture? There is plenty of wasteful projects and grants that do nothing but waste money. At least farm subidies stay in the country.

It's real fun explaining to landlords about the subsidies. They see that and raise the rent. Finally we are getting some money for our corn and beans. Farmers are damned if you do and damned if you don't. The govt come up with the program not us

Somebody posted this link a while back and I can't figure why it doesn't update anymore regualrly than it does?! :x
It sure made for a lot of hurt feelings and meaness the past several months, not just on here , but, a lot of local guys here and other places found out and now they won't sign up for anything.

I thought it was interesting that you could break it down by state and even county. Nobody in my county collected any subsidies nor did 71% of the rancher/farmers in the state.

Seems nobody cares that the goverment pays $1600.00 for a screwdriver. Where is that list of over charges and the one with all the pork spending? JC

Well, well, well...looks like our "esteemed" House of Representative member, Sid Miller (R), received $111,676 from 1995-2005. $18,229 was for livestock subsidies.

Bless his heart, he'll drop more than that in a year on his roping calves that he buys at the sales...so I guess he's actually having to use some of his "own" money to support his roping habit. Poor thing...grrrrrrrrrr!

Alice

I looked at the county that i live in an one farmer got over 4 million. An these people look down there noses at everyone else an don,t realize that its public information.

That was an eye opener. A lot of wives listed in my county as well, may have been some kids also. My wife wants to know how to get her half, as I refuse to take part. Its going to change the way I do business with some.

The original purpose of the agriculture subsidy system was to provide a safety net for farmers and food security for the nation.

Today, the system has become a convenient method of funneling tax dollars through the farmer into the ravenous coffers of ADM, Con-Agra, Monsanto, and all of the other industry giants.

The taxpayer would never put up with these corporations receiving direct handouts, but launder it through the hands of "family farmers" and it suddenly becomes acceptable.

The 2007 farm bill needs to address subsidy reform, but you can bet that the industry giants will resist this along with the help of their friends over at The Farm Bureau.

I don't understand how all those people get these subsidies. In my home parish (county) alone there were 100 something people recieving money. EVERY one of my dad's neighbors and everybody down the road. Some were getting corn and wheat subsidies and don't grow a grain. How is this possible? How do these programs work.

Go to your local FSA office and they will explain how it works. Then go to college for about 15yr and you might be able to understand what they told you. :eek:

I receive EQIP moneyfor making improvements. It is only the only way to do some of these improvements without starving my family. It is supposed to be set up on a percentage basis for me personally the program covers 50% of my actual costs. This year that is 2 800 foot wells and 10 miles of pipilene. Neither of which are getting any cheaper especially when you have to compete with the subdividers that can pay outrageous prices just to get it done. I do not agree that adm or any of the others should get funding but on the other hand the programs are open to anyone seems fair.