Government subsidies on cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

WORANCH what is that list for im not on there i know several of the names that are

Hoss, are you sure the University of Tennessee wrote that and not Timothy Geithner? It sort sounds like the same reasoning for printing more money to me. And these jobs, how many of these jobs were temporary government jobs created to hand out this money? I know several people who got these type jobs. Problem is once the money is played out the beaurcacy is in place and these people are absorbed into the system and taxes have to go up to pay their salaries cause the original money is gone and we all know that once a government job created it is never done away with.

Lets also keep in mind the allotments were GIVEN to the farmer. As for tobacco being bad and the fault of the tobacco company, didn't we have a Surgeon General during this time and didn't he say it was safe. And where was the FDA? So I don't think its right to villainize the tobacco companies when they actually created lots of real and high paying jobs. The irony is, here, the tobacco farmers who received the money are still growing tobacco but on a much larger scale but now they are basically working under contract with one of the few remaining tobacco companies. About like chicken farming now.

Also, just consider the beaurcratic cost of handing out a dollar is three dollars and when a person receives these monies they have to claim it on their tax return as income so it only stands to reason they will show improved profits. Just consider the cost of an "improved water tank" for cattle. This might cost you $1000 out of pocket which you can deduct on your taxes. The same tank with government help will cost the taxpayer $1500 ($3 x 500) and the landowner $500 but then the landowner will have to claim the $500 as additional income and pay $180 in taxes so it really cost him $680 so as I see it the only person benifitting is DotGov.

bse":2zpkz8xt said:
WORANCH what is that list for im not on there i know several of the names that are

Conservation ,Disaster and Commodity Subsidies .. If you click on the name it will give you a break down.

Jo,

You are right about the jobs created being a shorter term deal. The place I see the most jobs created is in the building trades (barn builders), supply houses, seedstock breeders and farm supply manufacturers. More people buying bulls, building barns and adding working pens, chutes and headgates etc. Might be helpfull in the shortterm but I do not see those jobs sustaining past the point to when the tobacco money runs out.

The original bases were given out, but could be sold to other farmers and attached to their land and bases. Dark tobacco bases were especially valuable. I raised 15 to 16 acres of dark every year. I guess everybody feels entitled to something-----------I feel entitled to what I got. My earning potential, and the value of my land is forever lowered by the loss of the bases. I could have easily made more money than I have been "given" by continuing to raise even half of my 16 acre base.

I take exception to people that get phase II money that never raised tobacco. Ive got useless barns and rusting equipment that will never hit the field again. All purchased or built in good faith that the base system was there to protect me.

I was really surprised at who was collecting in my area. There's a VP of the bank that owns maybe 10 acres with two cows on it that collected a little over 6k. I know he make six figures and I've never seen anything but grass on his place.

Second biggest collector here is a neighbor to my farm. I always wondered how he kept so many new Deere's around. :shock:

Bigfoot":3uwwwvk6 said:
The original bases were given out, but could be sold to other farmers and attached to their land and bases. Dark tobacco bases were especially valuable. I raised 15 to 16 acres of dark every year. I guess everybody feels entitled to something-----------I feel entitled to what I got. My earning potential, and the value of my land is forever lowered by the loss of the bases. I could have easily made more money than I have been "given" by continuing to raise even half of my 16 acre base.

I take exception to people that get phase II money that never raised tobacco. Ive got useless barns and rusting equipment that will never hit the field again. All purchased or built in good faith that the base system was there to protect me.

You are right and please don't misunderstand what I'm saying because I'm actually FOR these programs when they are in place to protect the family farm from things that are out of the farmers control. Just think back to the grain embargo where US farmers could not sell their products due to international politics. It wouldn't be right to ask the farmer to brunt the burden due to US policy.

Bigfoot, please don't take what I am saying as negative toward you because its not meant to be. If you remember your history you will remember it was the IRS that set a value on these allotments and began taxing them as part of the land so they are the one's who set the value on them and you were merely recouping what you most likely were forced to pay taxes on. Isn't it amazing what a tangled web the government weaves?

The government got fat on the tax revenues from tobacco yet they want to demonize Big Tobacco. There was no such thing as Big Tobacco until they made it that way. There used to be small tobacco and cigar manufactures all over the place. Hundreds of brands behind the counters. Not now. Now we have Big Tobacco and the government walked away with $15,834,746,000 in 2007 alone. Don't you think its only right that they give back some of their money too?

I have 2 very good friends on the list and couple more who are clients of ours. I was pretty surprised at some of the dollar amounts. One of our friends had rec'd a little over $250k before he retired. His place in Neb. must have been bigger than I thought.

FWIW, I do see a distinction between the tobacco money settlements and the other farm subsidies. I may not agree with the way they handle the tobacco money because I rarely see the gov involvement as efficient, but it's still not the same as the Fed. farm subsidies.

Looking at the numbers for the area I grew up in, doesn't seem like many people figured out how to play the system. The names towards the top of the numbers have the highest number of acres in the area and work hard, so their placement makes sense. The things I found odd were the people living far out of state and still getting high numbers.

Jogeephus":3s301zy3 said:
Bigfoot":3s301zy3 said:

You are right and please don't misunderstand what I'm saying because I'm actually FOR these programs when they are in place to protect the family farm from things that are out of the farmers control. Just think back to the grain embargo where US farmers could not sell their products due to international politics. It wouldn't be right to ask the farmer to brunt the burden due to US policy.

Bigfoot, please don't take what I am saying as negative toward you because its not meant to be. If you remember your history you will remember it was the IRS that set a value on these allotments and began taxing them as part of the land so they are the one's who set the value on them and you were merely recouping what you most likely were forced to pay taxes on. Isn't it amazing what a tangled web the government weaves?

The government got fat on the tax revenues from tobacco yet they want to demonize Big Tobacco. There was no such thing as Big Tobacco until they made it that way. There used to be small tobacco and cigar manufactures all over the place. Hundreds of brands behind the counters. Not now. Now we have Big Tobacco and the government walked away with $15,834,746,000 in 2007 alone. Don't you think its only right that they give back some of their money too?

Question the government shutdown all of the small sawmill's in this part of the world.
This virtually destroyed every small town. So should they be mailing a check to every family that had a negative impact on. Our county even lost our railway because of there was no product to be shipped out. This had a huge impact on the economy and still does in everyday cost of everything from a roll of toliet paper to a settin of eggs has to be trucked in.

2 of the deacons of my wife's church are on it. Funny thing is they only plant corn and soybeans for the deer. Not farmers by any stretch. One got 13k over 2 years for losses.

cross_7":3nl8mudx said:
WORANCH":3nl8mudx said:
Put your zip code in and see how much your friends are getting... :D :D :D

http://farm.ewg.org/index.php

Hey the rich and famous folks here in my small community are on that list

In my county since 95 a mill and half has been paid and 80% went to timberland owner's.
The other's are the big wig's around here.

Caustic Burno":318cickq said:
cross_7":318cickq said:
WORANCH":318cickq said:
Put your zip code in and see how much your friends are getting... :D :D :D

http://farm.ewg.org/index.php

Hey the rich and famous folks here in my small community are on that list

In my county since 95 a mill and half has been paid and 80% went to timberland owner's.
The other's are the big wig's around here.

The topdog on my list got 2.2 million and top 30 were all over 1 million

No offense taken on the tobacco settlement issue. I just wanted people to understand its not the handout that it appears to be. I also hate to see people get it that never handled a plant in their life.

Milking the crop insurance program is bad as well. Collecting on a loss is perfectly fine.

Loan deficiency payments are a whole different story. No other industry that I know of has a handout for you when you come up short.

The CRP program probably serves a good purpose. Again many people drawing it that don't really farm.

When your on that environmental watch group site realize that many people are smart enough to take their payments 10 different ways.

Latest posts