Government Shutdown

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
WORANCH":2qvwlj6i said:
Brute 23":2qvwlj6i said:
I am self employed and have only had an "employer" for 6mo in the past 11years. Its my job to know the ins and outs of what I am being taxed because it effects my bottom line.

I also do not qualify for medical insurance and pay CASH for my medical expenses. I have adjusted my life accordingly to self insure.

Well now you get to sign up for Obamacare . :lol:

That's what Im waitin for... :nod: .... not really. In all actuality its suprising how great of deals you get by paying cash. I have seen them cut bills in half or better if you pay right there the day the work is done.

Would I like to get a policy... sure. Some thing that covered major medical issues... cancer, brain surgery, ect. As long as it was thru a private comany.

Caustic, if I end up on a program one day I will be able to say with out a doubt I truely need the help. I did not drink, smoke, drive or blow money away that could have been used for my medical bills. Its like some one said earlier these programs have gone way past providing basic needs to people who truely need them.

Brute 23":2gju1v23 said:
WORANCH":2gju1v23 said:
Brute 23":2gju1v23 said:
I am self employed and have only had an "employer" for 6mo in the past 11years. Its my job to know the ins and outs of what I am being taxed because it effects my bottom line.

I also do not qualify for medical insurance and pay CASH for my medical expenses. I have adjusted my life accordingly to self insure.

Well now you get to sign up for Obamacare . :lol:

That's what Im waitin for... :nod: .... not really. In all actuality its suprising how great of deals you get by paying cash. I have seen them cut bills in half or better if you pay right there the day the work is done.

Would I like to get a policy... sure. Some thing that covered major medical issues... cancer, brain surgery, ect. As long as it was thru a private comany.

Caustic, if I end up on a program one day I will be able to say with out a doubt I truely need the help. I did not drink, smoke, drive or blow money away that could have been used for my medical bills. Its like some one said earlier these programs have gone way past providing basic needs to people who truely need them.

You dodged the farm subsidy question.

You can bet your bottom dollar you will end up on a program one day. And only a nut would want to rob his life savings from his family.
It is easy enough to go broke with insurance, you will find out as you age that private company you are talking about wont touch you.
Again sometime in your life you will incur major medical bill's that you will not be able to insure against that is a fact of life if live long enough. I truly doubt that you are able to self insure other than an occasional doctor's visit for a cold or flu. When you haul your kid in for something major and run out of money you will be the first ti file for Medicaid. Somebody has to pay that hospital bill.
I am very affluent and I can't, fact of life if you live long enough you can not outrun your DNA be it Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer etc.
Your lifestyle can effect longevity you still can't outrun your DNA you are going to die the only way you most likely wont incur major medical expenses is if you get taken out in an accident or get shot. I betting on the latter. It isn't hard to hit a quarter to a half million dollar hospital stay today it is not going to get cheaper.

No farm subsidies, we don't apply for drought relief, never asked for help to dig a tank, or any thing else NSA or what ever those people are called... do.

I do carry an insurance policy on my son.

I don't disagree with you Caustic to some extent...

There are some changes that I would like to see in medical insurance because it is important. There is some truth that you can get better deals by being part of a group. None of the options I agree with include pooling unwilling people.

CB: I agree with you, insurance is something you have to have, because one visit even a broken arm can bankrupt ya-we know these people her husband is a truck driver, he got sick over the road, went to a hospital in TX, had a bad case of pneumonia, and had NO insurance, he was in the hospital for one week-his bills (they are still getting them) is now over $150,000 a sum that they will never be able to pay off in their lifetime i doubt as they are in their mid 50's. Use to be the hospital would work with ya, now they can just take part of your wages by court order, and there is not a thing you can do about it. These people make payments, but they have so many separate bills that they don't even make a dent. Plus he lost 2 weeks pay, so they are way behind now. His wife had to take on a extra job to help pay for groceries, because all of their monies now are being consumed by hospital bills
Its fine to say that you can pay for cash, until something catastrophic happens and you can't. They wish they would have had insurance now, because now they are pretty much screwed!

GMN":7hso9b8q said:
CB: I agree with you, insurance is something you have to have, because one visit even a broken arm can bankrupt ya-we know these people her husband is a truck driver, he got sick over the road, went to a hospital in TX, had a bad case of pneumonia, and had NO insurance, he was in the hospital for one week-his bills (they are still getting them) is now over $150,000 a sum that they will never be able to pay off in their lifetime i doubt as they are in their mid 50's. Use to be the hospital would work with ya, now they can just take part of your wages by court order, and there is not a thing you can do about it. These people make payments, but they have so many separate bills that they don't even make a dent. Plus he lost 2 weeks pay, so they are way behind now. His wife had to take on a extra job to help pay for groceries, because all of their monies now are being consumed by hospital bills
Its fine to say that you can pay for cash, until something catastrophic happens and you can't. They wish they would have had insurance now, because now they are pretty much screwed!

Medical Bankruptcy............it's done all the time!

yes but then your credit is wrecked for 7 years-and just wait before too long that will be a debt just like student loans that will not be forgiven under bankrupcies

GMN":2anqzwk5 said:
yes but then your credit is wrecked for 7 years-and just wait before too long that will be a debt just like student loans that will not be forgiven under bankrupcies

You got that right under Obummercare the government is going to get there money one way or the other.

GMN":rpl0ztyn said:

Wife went in with a mild heart attack a couple of years ago you should have seen the bill for ICU alone.
Oldest son just called talking about medical insurance and his company has an A,B,or C plan.
The difference in cost is 60 bucks a month from A to C the difference in coverage is huge.
He is single now and has recently switched to a much higher paying job. We were talking and he ask Dad why would anyone take the B or C plan. The insurance companies know people will dodge a higher premium thinking it will never happen to me. The insurance company wins and you loose when it does. It is not is it going to happen but when.

GMN":1p5hyy4d said:

Makes sense to me. Wait until they do it and then cry about not doing what i said while you still can!

Caustic Burno":y14d3zdd said:
GMN":y14d3zdd said:

Wife went in with a mild heart attack a couple of years ago you should have seen the bill for ICU alone.
Oldest son just called talking about medical insurance and his company has an A,B,or C plan.
The difference in cost is 60 bucks a month from A to C the difference in coverage is huge.
He is single now and has recently switched to a much higher paying job. We were talking and he ask Dad why would anyone take the B or C plan. The insurance companies know people will dodge a higher premium thinking it will never happen to me. The insurance company wins and you loose when it does. It is not is it going to happen but when.
That little copperhead bite cost me over $12K......

One accident can completely wipe you out, and if you don't have the money, they will attach to your property just as nursing homes do if you own anything. If you have a farm, instead of your son inheriting it, the hospital will own it.

That is what is going to scare me about the Government eventually weaseling in on hospital and doctor bills. Although they say they are going to limit the costs, will they really? Are we going to limit their salaries as well? They are not in Washington that often and are overpaid.

The government dealing with our insurance, hospital and doctor bills, as people's lives end; running out of money then the nursing homes attach to their property. I can see the government gaining more control this way by getting in on the billing end of it.

3waycross":1r9a64zy said:
GMN":1r9a64zy said:

Makes sense to me. Wait until they do it and then cry about not doing what i said while you still can!

i think you are just a kind of person who will never admit he is wrong-or see the reality of todays world

Chuckie":2v0ewyz4 said:
One accident can completely wipe you out, and if you don't have the money, they will attach to your property just as nursing homes do if you own anything. If you have a farm, instead of your son inheriting it, the hospital will own it.

That is what is going to scare me about the Government eventually weaseling in on hospital and doctor bills. Although they say they are going to limit the costs, will they really? Are we going to limit their salaries as well? They are not in Washington that often and are overpaid.

The government dealing with our insurance, hospital and doctor bills, as people's lives end; running out of money then the nursing homes attach to their property. I can see the government gaining more control this way by getting in on the billing end of it.

I agree I do not like the idea of the govt being involved in healthcare, but I do think people should have health insurance-

GMN":1vuammqd said:
3waycross":1vuammqd said:
GMN":1vuammqd said:

i think you are just a kind of person who will never admit he is wrong-or see the reality of todays world

and i think you are the kind of person who makes a statement based on what he feels not what the facts bear out. you are the one who said they will never pay off their debts. That's the whole point of bankruptcy. I had a customer who had a premie baby and the hospital bills approached $350,000. They had no choice but to declare a medical bankruptcy and rebuild their lives.
Yes it took some effort but the reality is their credit bas better without that staggering debt.
Stop telling me what kind of person i am and know the facts before you disagree with me..............and for the record i am ocassionally wrong but i do follow my convictions pretty hard! What can i say. My momma was from Missouri. I guess you just need to show me!

In 2009, 2 out of 3 personal bankruptcies were filed from medical bills. In 2007, 62% personal bankruptcies were Medical. Of the 62%..... 78% of these people had health insurance.
When a serious illness strikes, most insurance plans do not come close to covering all of the bills, leaving the family is serious debt. Insurance companies find every loop hole they can to get out of paying the bill.
It states that many average families are only one serious illness away from bankruptcy
http://www.fileforbk.com/medical-bankruptcy/

Chuckie":mfageln4 said:
In 2009, 2 out of 3 personal bankruptcies were filed from medical bills. In 2007, 62% personal bankruptcies were Medical. Of the 62%..... 78% of these people had health insurance.
When a serious illness strikes, most insurance plans do not come close to covering all of the bills, leaving the family is serious debt. Insurance companies find every loop hole they can to get out of paying the bill.
It states that many average families are only one serious illness away from bankruptcy

Many doctors and hospitals will negotiate an agreed to amount to repay, often much much less than what was billed. Billings are for insurance companies. What you don't pay they can charge off I'm sure. I've known several people who did this are simply did not pay OR payed a small token amount each month. As long as they keep accepting your check they can't do a thing.

TexasBred":27avlxeq said:
Chuckie":27avlxeq said:

Many doctors and hospitals will negotiate an agreed to amount to repay, often much much less than what was billed. Billings are for insurance companies. What you don't pay they can charge off I'm sure. I've known several people who did this are simply did not pay OR payed a small token amount each month. As long as they keep accepting your check they can't do a thing.

Yup. :nod:

A guy I work for owns a company that hospitals and dr offices use for billing. He says they can usually accept fractions of what the bill actually is. He said the best bet is to throw a lump some at the hospital or dr office to settle it right there before you leave. It does the hospital no good to try to collect $350,000... $100 a month for the next 3500 years. The reality is the hospital will either end up with some stupid low payment plan or the person is going to file bankruptsy on it. If they can get $20 or $30K right then and there they are far better off. It will cost them more than they will get back just to maintain the accounting, lawyers, companies to collect, ect.

How about nursing homes? Do you think a nursing home will negotiate a bill with grandmother who has been in the nursing home for the last five years, and the room costs over $200 a day and Medicare pays a lot less?

Only a very poor person gets their bill wiped out. I watched my brother have to sell his house after the 3rd heart attack. I have seen a hospital bill come here that was paid years ago sent by mistake. The article above states that people file bankruptcy over less than $30,000 in medical bills. That is most likely after the hospital has reduced their bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.