Gotta love it when...

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot stuck in the mud/manure around the hay ring. Just nearly fell face first, lol. Luckily only sacrificed a sock.
It happened to me a few years ago. And, just about that time, a big Herford Bull decided to get frisky with a cow standing next to me.

I now cut the strings or net-wrap before putting hay in the rings.......

I remember my dad going out into a muddy pond to get a stuck older cow out. It was like quick sand. He was in mud almost up to his waste and could not get out. I ran to the house and got a ladder and went out and handed him a rope and put one on the old cow. My dad lost both boots when I pulled him out (still in the pond to this day). I took a tractor to pull the old cow out as she did not make it.

Last edited:
It happens.

I need a new rubber boot. My Muck boots have cracked.

Any recommendations?

I suspect most of us have done the sock walk of shame. Goes with the territory! Last time it happened to me I was cutting the netting off a bale & got stepped on, sunk down about 10" and flopped around like a carp on the bank until I could escape - minus a boot and a nasty bruise on my foot.

A few years ago I was feeding heifers grain with a 5 gallon bucket. The feed trough was at the edge of a concrete slab. The heifers had a 6 inch deep trail leading up to the trough in rotten hay, mud and manure. The day before one had stepped on my foot so I was standing with my feet close together. A heifer went past me knocking me over and spinning me around. I landed on my back in that rail and slid head first down that sloppy manure filled trail for about 15 feet. When I stopped sliding I was like a turtle on my back. No graceful way to get up out of the manure. I was cussing and screaming the whole time. The heifers all jumped back and were looking at me like I had gone crazy.

Latest posts