Gotta love a red one every now and then.

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I really hate having late summer calves but this little heifer is pretty nice even if she is red. The cow is half Shorthorn half Simmental. The calf is out of my Simmental bull so 3/4 Simmental. I will hold her over and breed her for a September calf next year.

jd720":6jem8ofl said:
I will hold her over and breed her for a September calf next year.

Good luck with that. One of my cows had a calf last week. She calved in September last year, and November the year before. I'd love to wait until February to get her bred this time, but in the past when I'd pull the bull to try that the neighbor's would jump in.

Yup been there done that with neighbors worthless sale barn bargain bulls before. I plan on putting an embryo in her if that doesn`t stick A.I. her to a homo black Simmental bull. After that turn her out with my One Eyed Jack son herd bull but I really don`t want late July calves next year.

jd720":1754u5qf said:
Yup been there done that with neighbors worthless sale barn bargain bulls before. I plan on putting an embryo in her if that doesn`t stick A.I. her to a homo black Simmental bull. After that turn her out with my One Eyed Jack son herd bull but I really don`t want late July calves next year.

I'm not going to worry about it. If she keeps backing up she'll be calving with the rest of them again in a few years.

Latest posts