Gotta admire them I guess

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
People that vote with their wallets that is.

Just left the grocer where they had organic vegetarian fed eggs on sale for $7.38/doz. That's not but 61.5¢ each.

Noticed pork has come down a good bit. Wonder if this will put pressure on beef to come down some. :???:

How many dozen did you buy at that price? I know you won't dicker if it's organic. You're a buyer, assuming it's also free range, hormone free, and the chickens sleep on soft pillows at night.

How do you keep a chicken from eating a bug? I don't believe they are "vegetarian" for one minute. Sounds like false advertising to me. :cowboy:
My bug loving, free range chickens would spit in their faces. :mrgreen:

branguscowgirl":18qxzv7v said:
How do you keep a chicken from eating a bug? I don't believe they are "vegetarian" for one minute.

:lol2: :lol2: Funny enough, my daughter and I were just discussing that very thing. She asked what is an insect? Is it considered meat or is it vegetable? I told her I didn't know but being crabs and lobsters are kin to them you'd think it'd be more meat but I don't know.

John, being it was first of the month and I had plenty of credits on my card I was going to buy several dozen but the shells were a pale brown and not dark brown so I didn't think they were organic enough for my palette. I suspect that's whey they were so cheap.

Good to know but do they raise them humanely? I'm a real stickler on this point and I don't mind spending extra to reward the producer for not succumbing to the temptation to torture the birds. I want them to raised as humanely as possible. I prefer to know the birth date and its first and last name but this isn't always possible because I understand how a stray cock can mess up a family tree.

Funny enough, my daughter and I were just discussing that very thing. She asked what is an insect? Is it considered meat or is it vegetable?
They are definitely a meat protein. Don't ya know, On all those survival shows they eat insects for their protein to stay alive! :lol: :lol:
My chickens love meat. They will go after baby mice or lizards even. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":3d8mtcbg said:
Good to know but do they raise them humanely? I'm a real stickler on this point and I don't mind spending extra to reward the producer for not succumbing to the temptation to torture the birds. I want them to raised as humanely as possible. I prefer to know the birth date and its first and last name but this isn't always possible because I understand how a stray cock can mess up a family tree.

:lol2: :clap:

I'd bet money there arent many on here that would have seen this show, but Dang if Jo didnt just nail this one. I do have a different respect than most on here for people that care about where their protein comes from and how it was raised, but some of this is just so absurd. This clip is all I can think of when we get to this level of silly. :pop:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/WAlWrT5P2VI[/youtube]

Artesian, I share your respect for them as long as they don't start being extremely stupid with their beliefs. I also don't like producers who spread lies and misinformation to sell their products at the expense of someone else. But you gotta respect someone who is willing to spend a few extra dollars on something just to keep the small guys in business. I think there are many who actually get their money's worth too.

BTW, I love Portlandia. They have some great writers. Thank heavens for NetFlix!

Jogeephus":oqj5cw46 said:
Artesian, I share your respect for them as long as they don't start being extremely stupid with their beliefs. I also don't like producers who spread lies and misinformation to sell their products at the expense of someone else. But you gotta respect someone who is willing to spend a few extra dollars on something just to keep the small guys in business. I think there are many who actually get their money's worth too.

BTW, I love Portlandia. They have some great writers. Thank heavens for NetFlix!

Jo, I agree with every single word of this post and appreciate how you worded it. Yes, there is truly a sucker born every minute and lots of them enjoy using their money to try to impress and there are also plenty of people who have made their living of gladly taking that money. But just like you said, there are also lots of people that truly care about their food to put some thought behind where it comes from and how it was produced and I, for one, am thankful for that kind of consumer and enjoy being that kind of consumer myself.

I'm wondering if the next prosciutto pics you put up here if you could also tell us something about the personality and living conditions of that pig please? :hide:

branguscowgirl":1n6yf0dg said:
How do you keep a chicken from eating a bug? I don't believe they are "vegetarian" for one minute. Sounds like false advertising to me. :cowboy:
My bug loving, free range chickens would spit in their faces. :mrgreen:

Yes, they eat bugs and if you've ever been around chickens for very long you'll know they eat "other things" as well. :)

Jogeephus":1w8vui5f said:
People that vote with their wallets that is.

Just left the grocer where they had organic vegetarian fed eggs on sale for $7.38/doz. That's not but 61.5¢ each.

Noticed pork has come down a good bit. Wonder if this will put pressure on beef to come down some. :???:

Jo that is a deal. I was at an organic farm last week. The gal told me that she is selling her organic eggs in the farmer's markets around Seattle for $9.00 a dozen. And then she complained about the price of feed.

:lol2: :lol2: As long as they are less than a buck each its a bargain. There is, like she says, the feed cost.

Only in modern society with its abundance of food could we have such woes.

I don't think it's a "woe". It's an opportunity. Just like deeper pockets might buy a more expensive car, designer clothes, etc., they can spend more on food, too. So someone takes that opportunity and fills the niche. How much caviar and lobster can a person eat, at some point they need meat, dairy and vegetables, too. I agree people can get downright stupid and go overboard with it, but most of the time people simply want what they think is a superior product because it was not mass produced at the commodity level. People would pay serious money for your own "artisan foods" you have posted on the cooking thread. And from the pictures, it would be worth it!